Silicone Grease storage...

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quick question, esp for those who are living in warmer climates. How do you store your silicone grease? Over here, temperatures go up to at least 35+ (Celcius) every day, and I was just wondering if leaving the grease at room temperature would affect the qualities at all? Does it matter if it softens a bit due to heat? Or should I throw it into the fridge until I need it?

Tomas

Banned
A high quality silicone grease should not appreciably change viscosity for about a 200 degree C range. 35 degrees should not pose a problem for it.

The eventual breakdown of a silicone grease is often the eventual separation of the lighter and heavier components, and there is an outside chance that extremely high storage temps will speed up that separation.

Mixing it back together, though, should be all it needs.

Here's some random silicone grease info (PDF): dow_silicone_grease.pdf

T_sig6.gif

Spango

Newly Enlightened
Wow! I didn't know it can get that hot over there. Over here, the maximum recorded indoor temperature (by me, that is /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif) is only around 33 - 34 degrees Celsius, and that doesn't happen everyday. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yah Spango... it gets a little too hot in KL sometimes, or most of the times I should say. Most of the houses here are built with a pretty low roof, and to top that off, the lack of trees, etc makes the heat even more unbearable... Plus it doesn't help that they usually build them darn houses so close to each other, you can actually hear your neighbours on the phone sometimes!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif But then again, that's another story altogether... ;D