Arc AAA head, in a modded 1D Light. :) UPDATE

jtice

Flashaholic
All you guys talking about how many hours of runtime you were getting from those D batts driving an Arc AAA head. I just had to try my own.

This was a $3 Rayovac 2D light, that was in my truck for over a year,,, the batts bursted in it, and made it a mess. I saved it though, thinking i would use it for parts, Im glad I did.

The AAA head went in place of the stock bulb, after alittle cutting and bending of the bulb spring.
I cut the light down to 1D size and glued it back together. I dont totally trust the glue, so I also taped it up. Yea, I know, its not very pretty, but eh, I wasnt really going for looks on this one.

Whats great is, the lights original switch is still operational, and i can change the AAA head rather easily to another color.

{2DCC55EA-BC2B-40E5-974A-ECB22D9D2AE3}lg.jpg

{DC63A088-D1B6-4007-AD12-D304B1F31F25}lg.jpg

{DE58FD63-A5BB-49C0-841F-357D81A5165F}lg.jpg

{07AA4A53-5A0C-40DC-A726-5A09B63FFDF9}lg.jpg

{85CD12F0-3467-4C84-B432-A01DFF1CACF7}lg.jpg

{02B56A43-F208-46F7-8C4D-4620C523D0E4}lg.jpg

{A07E73F5-889C-412D-B5F9-E3AD7EE268C9}lg.jpg

Now, for some runtime tests. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

---------------- UPDATE --------------------

Well, I made this light just in time.
Last night, right before I was going to test the batt voltage at the 24 hour mark. The Power went out !!! :O
The power stayed out for about 4 hours and 20 minutes. I was dieing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif NOTHING to do.
My younger brother came downstairs. "OK you light nut, give me a darn flashlight to use."
He wanted to do some reading, so I handed him this 1D Arc AAA mod. He had it on the entire time of the power outage.

I have said it before, and I'll say it again... You never really realize how bright a light is, till you use it in TOTAL darkness. An Arc AAA is plenty of light to walk around the house with. You can place one facing the ceiling, and it will light the room up enough to easily walk around.

I found that I was actually using my 2 Brinkmann LED lights the most. (Rebel, and Long Life LED) Mainly becasue I didnt need the Brightness of my Arc LSH-P. Although I did use it also, with the 2AA pack on it.

Oh BTW....... anyone that has a Brinkmann Rebel.... unscrew the bezel, and take out the focusing lens. The light makes a super nice even smooth flood of light without the lens. !!!

OK,,,, so,,, the 1D Arc AAA head holder was running about... 28.5 hours Straight. Batt voltage started out at 1.6V and ended at 1.402V. And this light is BARELY dimmer than when it started. And that might just be my eyes playing tricks on me.

I will be making a couple more versions of this light. This is a much have emergency light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Arc AAA head, in a modded 1D Light. :)

Should run for around 50-60 hours, huh?

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast

Can you say "funky"! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Pretty cool ticey. I kinda like it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast

Good job, ticey /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Now, where is mine? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tomas

Banned

Actually with that light a load the runtime should be even longer than that ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Decent job! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

T_sig6.gif

FNG

Enlightened

Im clocking mine at almost 120 hours (5 days straight). Its still going.

jtice

Flashaholic

FNG,,,, really???????

Im gonna use a Duracell batt.
What type are you using?
I had NO idea it would last THAT long!

Doug Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
shankus said:
Should run for around 50-60 hours, huh?

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems about right to me, based on an average of 200 mA or so. The first 25 hours or so of that (above 1.2 Volts) will be a bit more (closer to 240 in my tests), less afterwards as the draw will only be 150 at that point (total light will be down by nearly half as a result).

OTOH, you can use the 3 AA cell adaptor, run 3 AA alkalines and a 334 based series regualtor and run at a *regulated* 30 mA (basically the same level, but 'rock steady') for the same 50 hours. Still leaving some serious energy we can't 'get to' with this circuit. Or you could use 1700 NiMH cells for the same time, or 2200s and get 60 or a bit more.

Doug Owen

Doug Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
IlluminatingBikr said:
Can you say "funky"! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Pretty cool ticey. I kinda like it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, definitely someting not likely to be taken. A unique light, fun aspect ratio. Might have a lash at one myself some time.....

Doug Owen

Doug Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
FNG said:
Im clocking mine at almost 120 hours (5 days straight). Its still going.

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume you're quite dim? That is you passed 'half original value' a few days back?

FWIW, based on the tests I ran, the CMG head may give longer 'runtimes' against the 'time to half level' standard as they draw more current at the critical voltages below 1.3 Volts (where it typcially outdraws the Arc by 25% or so (and is therefore brighter, although tougher on the cell life)).

Doug Owen

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast

This is one crazy 'adaptor' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

FNG

Enlightened

Im using a Rayovac cell. When walking around with it in pitch black, I can still see 20 feet in front of me easily. Its still pretty damn bright. I have a second Arc AAA and its about twice the brightness right now.

FNG

Enlightened

Add .orig.jpg to get fullsize pic.
fb496d08.jpg

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

very nice job ticey!

on the long, long, oh-so-long drive, i've been giving a lot of thought to mods...an arc d was one of them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's the picture of my Arc AAA Head mounted in a 1D size flashlight.

fb61cea2.jpg

Originally had a very dim screw base incandescent in it. Much better this way!

jtice

Flashaholic
Orion...
Very nice.
That has alot better fit and finish than mine.
I am going to make a few more of these, they are great lights.

Was that light originally a 1D light?
Where can I get one of those?

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
jtice>it was originally a 1D light that I picked on e-bay a year ago, I sold it on e-bay cuz I had no use for it. I understand that it is a Navy light not to see with, but to be seen. I saw them in an Army Navy Surplus store once.

John Frederick

Enlightened
Nice job Orion. Where did that light come from? It seems like I've seen it before. Survival light maybe?

JSB types faster than me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif