Please quick thoughts--Multi-function printers/pri

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
I'm going to Duluth for a printer today and am debating about a printer/fax/scanner/copier. Or just a printer.
It needs good color printing (not Photo). Sub $300 price range (or less for a printer only).
Problem is I'm leaving in 4 hours so I need quick answers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif and thoughts. Thanks.
Oh and I did see the other printer thread from a while back and I'll probably go with an HP or Epson.

Tomas

Banned
Re: Please quick thoughts--Multi-function printers

I'm reluctant to have too many multi-function machines.

If any of it's functions fails, in order to get it fixed the entire machine is out of service until returned. I prefer separate machines.

That way, if my scanner fails or needs upgrading to a better model, it doesn't affect my printer, etc., and vice versa.

Same reason I don't like combined VHS/DVD machines or all-in-one sound systems.

If you can find what you want at prices you can live with in separate machines you may be better off ...

T_sig6.gif
worm.gif

There's that damned worm again!

Free advice is worth everything you paid for it ...

raggie33

*the raggedier*

i tend to agree with tomas.but there nice if ya have limted space.lexmark sells one for 70 and it does a ok job i printed.near photo quality with it..but like tomas said if one part dies.it will stink

Saaby

Flashaholic

I don't like Lexmark printers, it's (Almost) cheaper to buy a new printer every time you run out of ink.

If you can afford it, pony up the $$$ and just get an Epson high speed, high workload SOHO printer. That's what we have (Epson 980). It prints pretty quick on your standard settings or less quick on the really nice, decent settings. Both carts are about $30 and they're BIG carts. When my dad worked at home we did tons of printing, now we just do lots. Carts last several months.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast

i purchased a canon for my sister 2 years ago....though it is a nice printer, it runs through cartridges incredibly fast--and replacements are very expensive.

now i have a HP officejet k-80 (high recommendation by consumer reports). it has probably more than you need (scanner, fax) but you might be able to get a version with less features. i think mine cost just over $300. the cartridges are expensive, but last a VERY long time--probably 4 or 5 times longer than the canon. it prints fast, quality images and has been reliable.

good luck!

Bob

raggie33

*the raggedier*

ive read cannon bubble jets are the least expensive to run.you are right about lexmarks ink lol one time they had a lexmark z 22 with ink for 20 bucks .but to by more ink was 28.if they had more i would of bought a few printers since they had ink.they say the newer lexmrks are more better on ink.but i here they dont make money on the printers they make there money on the ink

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've got an HP 6110 All in One; I love it. Great performer all around; you wouldn't be disappointed.

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior

Well I got an Epson Scanner/copier/printer. The scanner and copier are nice to have but not needed. We'll get a stand alone fax at some point as we see the need increase. If anyone is interested I'll look at the box when I get back to my store and can try it out and I'll report back on it.
Right now I'm working on 2-3 hours sleep and when I get off work my BIG priority will be SLEEP /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sleepy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sleepy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sleepy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sleepy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sleepy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sleepy.gif