How's your SPAM?

Tomas

Banned
How\'s your SPAM?

Just for interest, how has your SPAM been running lately? No, not the worm stuff, but the 'enlarge this' and 'Make$$$' and such.

Personally mine has dropped to nearly nothing.

Here's a short blurb from Slashdot:
[ QUOTE ]
lump writes "A notorious spammer, based in New Zealand, who had his name and other personal info released first in a national newspaper, and then on the web, has shut down his operation, citing harassment. What interests me about this case is that, in the 5 or 6 days since he has supposedly stopped operating, I personally have had one (1) spam email, to an address which had previously averaged around fifty per day. Colleagues report a similar reduction in spam. All I can say is 'excellent.' Hate to say it, but in this case, vigilante type action seems to have had the desired result. This needs to be publicised, as anything which slows down spam can only be a good thing."

[/ QUOTE ]

Be nice if this slackening in SPAM holds, but I'm sure someone will jump in to fill the void. *sigh*

T_sig6.gif
worm.gif

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: How\'s your SPAM?

I read somewhere that the "average" is eight per day. I get about 30 over the "average" in a light day. At first I set outlook up to automatically send emails to the delete bin but it started deleting ones I did not tell it to for no reason I could determine.

I also have Earthlink's "Spaminator" turned on. It blocks 30+ per day of known spam and I could submit my spams for consideration. So I should be 60+ over "average". I'm now looking for a good spam blocker.

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast

It`s quiet here too. I used to have one address that was nothing but spam (40-50 per day sometimes), but shut that one down ages ago. The other one that gets spammed daily used to get about 10-15, maybe up to 25 at the peak, but that`s down to only 2 or 3 now. Thought maybe Mailwasher/Spamcop were doing their respective jobs (about a month back I`d had enough so from that point onwards, I always file abuse reports via Spamcop for every last spam that I recieve) but if it`s because one of the scumbags got squeezed out of the game, that can only be a good thing. I`m all for "outing" spammers in this way, so long as it gets positive results.

Still havn`t got a SoBig virus yet. Not one.....

:smug: /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

(that wasn`t a cue for someone to send me one by the way
wink.gif
)

Saaby

Flashaholic

Huh. I usually get about 20 a day (10 of them in Spanish :grr: ) but it looks like I've only had about 15 in the past 5 days.

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast

Please don`t! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Ryan - I get the Spanish spam now and then too. Can`t understand it, but it`s probably the same old nonsense. My you-know-what doesn`t need enlarging, thankyouverymuch /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Wonder what the Spanish for spam actually is?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ive had Korean and Taiwanese spam /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast

My spam level has not changed -- a couple of messages per month. Gosh! Does that mean I need to get a life?

Paul

Kiessling

Flashaholic

mine has increased to an unbelievable 100 / d the last 2-3 days, almost all the same. I am sich and enraged, but can do nothing about it.
interesting story though, could serve as an example.
bernhard

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast

My SPAM for the last ten days or so has been running 1/2 to 1/3 of normal. On a normal day I was getting about 300 spams, Don't think I have gotten over 150 a day for about ten days, and one day only about 50.

Speaking of spanish spam: What really makes me mad is that I keep getting a text message on my cell phone about every other day. Same message every time; I can't translate it perfectly, but it is about about an important opportunity to make money, comes from a different source every time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator

I like my SPAM as a sandwich with mustard and cheese./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

My level of spam is currently way down...less than 10 a day. :

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

For about the last week, my spam has gone down quite noticeably. Now I can go for an hour or so and not get any at all. Used to be I'd get one as often as every few minutes...you know, make your you-know-what bigger, phoney d**k medication, make money stuffing envelopes at home, Taiwanese message board lights, that kind of horse puckey.

Somewhere around here, I have a can of Spam Light, but I don't think sending it to a spammer will do any good. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Chief_Wiggum

Enlightened

I'm still at the same level. I've been using Spamnet as a spam filter, though. It works great.

K-T

*Moderator*

Kiessling, interesting to read since I noticed increasing SPAM during the last 2-3 days, too. Luckily it's only 10-15 of them, but it used to be 1-3 daily. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif We'll see. GMX SPAM filter is working quite well and POPfile (thanks to Klaus) is doing the magic rest, thus nothing gets close to my eyes I don't want to read. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tomas

Banned

One of the interesting points brough up in the /. discussion is that some people's SPAM has gone up, some down dramaticly and some remained the same.

It was sugested that the differences might very well depend on whether or not one was on this particular idiot's list.

If you were, you likely have a lower count - at least for awhile ...

T_sig6.gif

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast

The ones getting through spamassassin on my server look to be about the same, or maybe slightly less, but not appreciably so. I need to check the logs to see if spamassassin is catching fewer or not, but it doesn't look like it. Oh well...

This guy won't be the last spammer to fall /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

NightStorm

Flashlight Enthusiast

I had a sudden increase in spam about 8 months ago, but since then I've trained the e-mail filter over at attbi/comcast to the point where I receive maybe 10 pieces total per week. Now if I could do something about the junk mail in my mail box.....

Dan