Silicone spray from WD-40 safe for flashlights?

llvo

Enlightened
WD-40 website
I bought a can of silicone spray made by WD40.
It's the new silicone spray lubricant of the 3-in-one professional series.

WD40 claims it is safe on Rubber.
Anyone use it to lube the o-rings?

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
It should be ok. The only problem is when an oring is made from silicone rubber. Somtimes those will absorb mroe silicone (or something like that, it's been a while since I've read about it) and swell. Natural or buna rubber, and nitrile will be pretty much unaffected, excpet to be more slick.

Tomas

Banned
Re: Silicone spray from WD-40 safe for flashlights

Actually, the silicone O-rings tend to dissolve in silicone lubes.

The buna and nitrile may swell a tiny amount but should be OK.

This applies to most silicone lubes, including the seemingly inert greases.

Here's the Dow Chemical info on their silicone greases, for example (PDF): dow_silicone_grease.pdf

Bottom line: Unless used on silicone O-rings or on O-rings in a critical, tight fitting application, there should be no problem.

T_sig6.gif

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've been using Hoppes #9 (yeah, the gun oil)lately. It's waht I use on my paintball gun because it's safe for those orings. They are nitrile though, not real rubber.

llvo

Enlightened

Thank you the replys.
I want to apply this spray on flashlights and toy guns.

Unicorn & Tomas: I am pretty worried that you both mentioned about the negative effects of the spray on silicone o-ring since I have no idea on the o-rings' material.

I assume that application on flashlights is safe, isn't it?

Tomas

Banned

llvo, the only silicone O-rings I've seen are a translucent clear/white sort of color or a red/orange color. I've never seen a black O-ring that was silicone. (Of course that doesn't mean someone couldn't make one just to confuse me ... ) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh.gif

T_sig6.gif

lightnix

Enlightened

If you're not sure what the o-rings are made of, then it may be better to err on the side of caution.

Is there any particular advantage in using silicone here or would a different lube be an alternative ?

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast

Even black could be at least two different materials, buna or nitrile I think (pretty sure, but not 100%). Nitrile is pretty resistant to just about everything, IIRC it's what's used for the orings and seals in engines. Natural rubbers are easily broken down by most petroleum based products, and while the silicone itself migh not cause any damage, there might be some sort of a petroleum in the propellant or carrier.
If you can't find something like Nyogel, I'ld just use some Hoppes. I caused the oring in an old Streamlight 3C (the old aluminum style) to swell a lot by using a spray silicone on the oring and threads. I've also heard that Superlube is safe on rubber, but I've only tried the dry lube version, and not for a long period of time. Maybe a few days so far, and I can't even remember what light I tried it on.

llvo

Enlightened

That's great /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gifall the o-ring I've seen is black in color.

about petroleum in the propellant:
I am sure about it since no details of the composition of the spray printed on the can while it just said 'safe on metal, rubber, wood & vinyl'. And I've checked WD-40's website for it, no luck, though.

I have used the silicone spray from WD40 to lube some of my flashlights now - Mag6C, E1e and ArcAAA.(Mag's the one putting to test first /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)
No obvious side effect observed and it cleans the thread very well.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

brightnorm

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
Unicorn said:
... I've also heard that Superlube is safe on rubber, but I've only tried the dry lube version, and not for a long period of time. Maybe a few days so far, and I can't even remember what light I tried it on.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been using SuperLube on all my O-rings for approx a year with (so far) no bad effects that I'm aware of. I'm a little concerned because I had the impression that silicon lube, at least the non-spray version, was something you could count on to be safe. Maybe we should just use what Surefire uses.

Brightnorm

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Re: Silicone spray from WD-40 safe for flashlights *DELETED* *DELETED*

Post deleted by brightnorm

Eric_M

Enlightened

I've had really good luck with Loctite Silicone lubricant, a 100% silicone grease. It really made a difference in my lights that twist on and off and seal with o-rings. It's the only thing that works on my Pelican that will not freeze it up. I got mine at Enco, www.use-enco.com

Part # 505-1181. It was $10.07 for a large 5.3 oz. tube.

Eric

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
llvo said:
about petroleum in the propellant:
I am sure about it since no details of the composition of the spray printed on the can while it just said 'safe on metal, rubber, wood & vinyl'.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here you go -- WD-40 3-IN-ONE Professional Silicone Spray Lubricant:
Distillates (Petroleum) 35-40%
Polydimethylsiloxane 2-4%
Aliphatic Petroleum Distillates 25-30%
Hydrocarbon Propellant 25-35%

Call me crazy but I'm sticking with Nyogel (which is what SureFire uses).
Some say its expensive but the tubs I bought here on CPF have been used on 30+ flashlights and still look full.
A little goes a LONG way.

Tomas

Banned

It's interesting that the WD-40 "silicone" spray only has 2-4% silicone lubricant whereas the silicone greases I use are 100% silicone ... (Radio Shack and Dow Chemical).

T_sig6.gif

llvo

Enlightened

!!!35-40%, oh my God!
I have to search for silicone greases.
You guys are so lucky. These lubricant seem readily obtainable in the States. In Hong Kong, ...where can I buy them?

Anyway, I really appreciate the suggestions provided. I can copy it down and shop around. But I think I could hardly find one... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

Tombeis

Enlightened

Major manufactures of equipment that use O-rings recommend silicone grease to lubricate O-Rings.

I have used silicone grease to install O-Rings on various equipment including swimming pool equipment that operates 24/7 and never had a problem.

I use silicone grease on all my Surefire and other flashlight O-Rings,,and I have used it on Surefire's since the first 6P was introduced.

I am certain that silicone grease will not harm the O-Ring seals on any of your flashlights.

You can buy silicone grease at any hardware store,Home Depot, Lowe's, etc.

I bet you can find it in Hong Kong. Check shops that sell plumbing supplies. Faucet manufactures love silicone grease.

Tomas

Banned

I've used silicone grease (Dow) on O-rings, seals, and electrical connectors since, uh, 1967 when I started using it at the direction of the USAF on B-52's.

I've used it to weatherproof ignition systems on my 4X4s and other vehicles, to weatherproof transmitter antenna line connectors, on rubber door seals to keep them from sticking/squeaking/freezing, on hose connections to let them slip on more easily, on zippers, camp gear, flashlights, lanterns, etcetera.

It's even edible (though tasteless).

T_sig6.gif

ewick

Enlightened

Tomas,

I need to make sure I'm clear on the silicone grease issue before I screw something up. I'm curious as to whether the 100% silicone grease you're using from Radio Shack is part number 64-2326. This is the same part number that's tossed around here quite a lot, and refers to the Archer's Multi-Purpose Lube Gel.

When I look up the MSDS data for 64-2326, the data sheet says: petroleum hydrocarbons -- 10-20%. Is this bad for CPFers to use?

Interestingly, I stopped by Radio Shack to take a look at this stuff, and there were two flavors of 64-2326. Same name, same size tube, same everything---except one contains Teflon (by DuPont), and the other contains Syncolon PTFE (by Synco). The specs for the Teflon version cite an operating temperature of -65 to 650, and the Syncolon version cites an operating temperature of -45 to 450. Has anyone else noticed this?

Sorry for the ramble, but I'm thorougly confused. Thanks in advance.

*EDIT*
Oh, well. I missed it. Brightnorm posted the MSDS data in the Arc forum yesterday. I'm still confused about the different flavors, though. Any thoughts?

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast

Aplui street will have it. You can buy *anything* electrical or related on there.
I miss Hong Kong, maybe i will go back next year for a week or two...

Tomas

Banned

ewick, I'm also confused by the Radio Shack product and the number of versions under the same part number.

I've had at least three different versions, with and without PTFE. The one I have right now is clear, odorless, has no reference to petrolium distillates or PTFE, and appears to match my tube of Dow silicone grease.

(The RS Gel Lube with PTFE suspended in it was cloudy looking, had a slight odor, and was not as smooth feeling - probably due to the solids.)

The RS product(s) are mentioned so much probably because of their ease of purchase and inexpense. There are oher products available at auto supply stores (silicone grease for ignition systems, etc.), at bigger electronics stores (silicone grease for ham radio antenna connections exposed to weather, etc.) and even the military surplus stores (Dow silicone insulating compound).

Bottom line, what I have used most often over the years is detailed in this PDF file of the Dow datasheet for it's silicone greases: dow_silicone_grease.pdf

The Dow silicone greases are even FDA certified for use as a lube in food processing plants where it may come in contact with food. It's pretty pure stuff ...

T_sig6.gif