Malkoff Hound Dog Vs 4Sevens Maelstrom G5

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ElektroLumens DeCree XPG shots are in post #31 (along with the HD and G5 shots for comparison).

My 4Sevens Maelstrom G5 finally arrived from one of the great CPFMarketplace vendors today and this evening, I had a chance to take a couple of shots of the two "against" each other.

Now, before anyone simply skips down to the photos, I must say that first off, there are NO really long distance shots here - yet. I pretty much live in Suburbia, so tons of ambient light and very close neighbors. As such, the photos that I was able to take this evening were from my back porch and between my house and my neighbors. It will be a while before I can get to the country to be able to take some really dark and long distance shots.

Anyway, as I've been waiting for someone to take some shots with these two lights, I finally decided to simply pull the trigger and purchase the G5. There are plenty of reviews of this light (as well as the Hound Dog) located elsewhere, so I'm not really going to get into the dynamics of each light. (The Search function is your friend!)

I am, however, going to offer up a couple of photos that compare the two together as well as a couple of things individually. And just for a little info about the pictures, I took them with my Pentax K10D with the camera set on full Manual. I tried the best that I could to take the "dualing" photos with the same settings - which I will write down before each group so you will know how I was shooting without having to go dig up the exif data...

And btw, just for the sake of full disclosure, I paid for both lights myself and I use the MD4 with the Malkoff Hound Dog head (though a couple of the photos have the HD head on an MD3) and ran both lights on primary batteries (SF's in the Malkoff and 4Sevens own batteries in the G5).

First, the two lights together...

PentaxI588.jpg

And just the heads:

PentaxI587.jpg

To compare the size of the two heads looking at the LED (and notice the orange peel reflector on the HD, while the G5 has the smooth reflector):

PentaxI610.jpg

Of course, the top side - or where the head attaches to the body:

PentaxI613.jpg

PentaxI614.jpg

For some reason, I couldn't get my head wrapped around all the reviews that talked about the different size "knobs" in the G5 head that allowed it to have so many seperate levels, yet not have a loose head. The top of the body is super thick:

PentaxI618.jpg

...to allow for the different "connection" levels that, btw, are moveable - meaning each of the three progressively longer "knobs" move back into or out of the head as the light is loosened or tightened:

PentaxI616.jpg

And together lying down (with the MD3 tube on the HD):

PentaxI621.jpg

PentaxI625.jpg

Outside. In all the following photos, the Malkoff HD is first, followed by the 4Sevens Maelstrom G5. The picture data for these is as follows: 4 seconds, F3.5, ISO 100, AWB, and an 18mm focal length.

My shed is almost 25 yards away from where I am taking the photo from:

II003.jpg

PentaxI627.jpg

I was trying to get some type of distance shot, so I pointed the lights at this transformer that is behind the houses behind my house (did that make sense??). Same exif info with the HD first and the G5 second:

PentaxI629.jpg

PentaxI630.jpg

Inbetween my house and my neighbor's (really to show that there is plenty of spill with these lights for those that my think these lights are only throwers):

PentaxI632.jpg

PentaxI633-1.jpg

Finally, in the bedroom with Sophie (these were taken at 1/4 second, F3.5, ISO 100, AWB, and an 18mm focal length). First, with the fan/lamp turned on and then off with the HD and lastly, the G5:

PentaxI634.jpg

II004.jpg

II.jpg

Soooo....

My favorite out of the two? Without considering the low's and multiple outputs and other miscellaneous stuff, and all things being equal (ie, both lights on high using an XP-G R5 LED), I would have to say that neither is better than the other.

Only when all the other stuff is added in can one really say that one is "better" than the other and then that simply comes down to personal preference.

IMO, both of these lights are awesome and now that I have them, I have no qualms about spending the money on either one. :twothumbs One is easier to get than the other, but the other is surely worth the wait if you certainly have a brand and "made in location" preference.

Hopefully, not too long from now, I will be able to make it out to the country and get some distance shots. I am also in possession of a Jetbeam M1X that I may throw into the distance mix. Somebody else took photos of the M1X and the HD together and the HD surely held it's own. I wouldn't bet against the G5 to hold it's own either.

Thanks for looking. :)

Last edited:

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Malkoff Hound Dog Vs 4Sevens Maelstrom G5 - beamshots inside!

Wow...some VERY nice/telling pics! I've been sorta "ho-hum" towards the Maelstrom G5 since it first came out; I was sorta thinking, "...oh well, ANOTHER XP-G R5 light...yawn...". But your pics really opened my eyes! The G5 is a VERY impressive light, and your "real world" beam shots speak VOLUMES. Well done, and thanx for your efforts!

PJD

Axion

Enlightened

Looks to me like the G5 has a brighter spot and spill, would you say that's correct based on your real life observations.

Also I'm halfway looking for something that can throw close to as well as my DBS, but without the rings in the beam (DBS has a dark halo around the spot). You don't have a DBS you can compare to do you?

funkymonkey1111

Enlightened

great pics--thanks. looking forward to the comparo with the M1X, too

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast

Looks to me like the G5 has a brighter spot and spill, would you say that's correct based on your real life observations.

To my eyes, the G5 may have a slightly brighter hotspot, but it is so close that I'm not sure one has an advantage either way.

That was one thing that really surprised me. I thought with the larger reflector, the HD would have the much brighter hotspot, but it doesn't appear to be that way.

Also I'm halfway looking for something that can throw close to as well as my DBS, but without the rings in the beam (DBS has a dark halo around the spot). You don't have a DBS you can compare to do you?

I don't have a DBS - I have no use for a pencil thin beam. Neither of these lights have that or any dark halo's. I would say that both of the beams are quite perfect in both spill and throw (on high anyway).

As I mentioned earlier, I do have an M1X that I will hopefully be able to take some photos with at a later time...

Vesper

Enlightened

Wow, the outputs are very close. I'm looking forward to some distance shots. Thanks for these shots so far. Very helpful.

How do you like the UI of the G5 in average, everyday use?

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast

Great work! Your beamshots really help visualize how these very differently constructed lights compare. Very nicely done.

I have a G5 being delivered on Friday and I'll compare it to my DBS (Thrunite 1.5A) XP-G. I'm hoping it's throw/brightness will be close but I'm doubtful (fingers-crossed). My DBS SMO has no rings and a tight hotspot with bright spill. The trick is to use the XR-E SMO as the DBS XP-G SMO is horrible!

ToNIX

Enlightened

Awesome beamshots, thanks for taking the time to do all this!

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast

The pics look almost identical, maybe with HD being just marginally less bright, though it's hard to notice... Thanks

Last edited:

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast

Great comparison. Thank you very much for posting the pics. The G5 is looking better and better to me now, especially when overall size is taken into account.

Unclemonkey

Newly Enlightened

Thank you for taking the time to post these beam shots.

From looking at your photos I would say that they are almost identical. The maelstrom looks slightly brighter to my eyes, but really close. In choosing between these lights, I would say that it comes down to personal preference.

I am partial to Malkoff, but the maelstrom has caught my attention.

Great job!lovecpf

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Malkoff HD should have better runtime, due to size. Especially the one with 2x18650 configuration. It should rock with the new 2900 mAh cell. (Protected).

Dioni

Flashlight Enthusiast

great comparison! Thanks for the pics! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for all the pics. Nice work. I love my G5. I find the G5 to have astounding performance for the size compared to all my other lights. It performs better than much bigger lights. I just wish I had the new revised UI that comes on the new shipping version as of last week. I don't have a hound dog.

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast

After I downloaded the pictures, I was really surprised that they actually showed what my eyes were seeing - that the G5 was producing essentially the same light as the HD. While the spill from the HD is slightly larger - I guess because of the size of the reflector? - the light inside the spill from the G5 is ever so slightly brighter.

It seems to me that there are a number of things to consider when making the decision about which light to purchase...this, of course, includes things like price (including CPF discount), size, desired light output levels, battery usage, and light availability.

Both are very bright. Both are backed by some spectacular creators. Both seem to be built tough. I could list what I consider to be the best parts of each light and what are the worst parts of each light, but I would not like this thread to become a Malkoff vs 4Sevens heated debate.

I do know which one I am carrying with me though in my bag to work every day. And it is not the one that I thought it would be. :)

hron61

Flashlight Enthusiast

very impressive that little g5 is. can only imagine what his big brothers will look like. havent heard much about them to much lately.

nice beamshots too. they are reference quality. :twothumbs

recDNA

Flashaholic

Considering the size and price advantage of the G5 and the new interface that includes Max (turbo whatever) in the same group with lower power modes (no more blinkie mode to go from max to moonlight) I would have to say the G5 is the big winner so far. Perhaps the HD will outshine it at longer distances but it doesn't appear so from what I've seen so far...at least not significantly.

Smaller size, lower price, similar output. 4Sevens is good.

HeyGuysWatchThis

Newly Enlightened

Nice review, too bad I can't afford either :) I like the background on the close up shots, too :)

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast

Got the G5 tonight and it's a great little thrower with plenty of bright spill. But it doesn't throw nearly as well as my DBS (Thrunite 1.5A) XP-G. The larger DBS (XR-E) SMO produces a much smaller focused hotspot that the G5 can't match.

I was hoping the G5 would replace the DBS but now I have to rationalize keeping both, although the G5's multiple modes make it so much more versatile.