P60: XP-G vs SST-50

mrshish

Newly Enlightened
I finally bit the bullet and picked up a Surefire C2. It's going out for boring and I plan to run a 18650 in it.

My problem is the drop in. I think I'm going to go with nailbender but can't decide between the XP-G and the SST-50. They both seem good but my dilemma is lumens vs run time.

XP-G - 330 lumens / 90 minutes
SST-50 - 550 lumens / 45 minutes

It's going to be a single mode and the price difference doesn't concern me. This is an EDC light and the one I use now isn't usually on for more than 5 minutes at a time. My use patterns so far would lead me to the SST-50 but I've got that "what if I need it longer" in the back of my mind.

What do you think, is the extra brightness worth the decreased runtime?

PS I also carry a AA light so this wouldn't be my only torch.

LobsterX

Newly Enlightened
if you're gonna "need it longer" for a sst-50, consider 3levels DD which nailbender has and run on med.

I finally bit the bullet and picked up a Surefire C2. It's going out for boring and I plan to run a 18650 in it.

My problem is the drop in. I think I'm going to go with nailbender but can't decide between the XP-G and the SST-50. They both seem good but my dilemma is lumens vs run time.

XP-G - 330 lumens / 90 minutes
SST-50 - 550 lumens / 45 minutes

It's going to be a single mode and the price difference doesn't concern me. This is an EDC light and the one I use now isn't usually on for more than 5 minutes at a time. My use patterns so far would lead me to the SST-50 but I've got that "what if I need it longer" in the back of my mind.

What do you think, is the extra brightness worth the decreased runtime?

PS I also carry a AA light so this wouldn't be my only torch.

SuperTrouper

Enlightened
Unless your use is search and rescue I think you'll be fine with the 330lm for 90 minutes.

It might help make the decision if you explain what you'd use it for.

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have NB's 3 mode SST50. I love it. It's kind of a middle ground between a wall of light/flood light, and a thrower. I'd imagine the xp-g would throw better than the SST50 so it's really up to what your use is for.

Also, even though the SST50 has a higher lumen rating, the xpg might be "brighter" if you're using it for long distance.

Last edited:

bonvivantmike

Enlightened
I also have a Nailbender 3-mode SST-50 in my C2. I love the versatility that the lower modes give me, but that I can always access full power if I need it.

If you're using this light as a general purpose light, I don't see a downside to a multi-mode drop in. The versatility in lighting level and runtime is well worth the slight downside of having to click through modes.

In my opinion, the only application where multiple modes is a liability is if the light is to be used with or on a weapon. In that situation, I feel you cant a simple on/off with a single mode. There are many threads on tactical lights if that's what you are building.

But for general purpose use, you can't go wrong with multiple modes.