Why do you use handles instead of your real name?

LightChucker

Enlightened
I know that it is common practice to use a handle instead of your real name or picture on user groups such as CPF. I have considered doing it, but as you can see, I don't.

Other than "just for the fun of it", is there a reason to use a handle?

Thanks,

Chuck

Greta

Flashaholic
Security. So that some sick freak doesn't track me down and then I have to shoot his sorry *** in my front yard and then clean up the mess. I hate trying to clean grey matter off my stucco walls.

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Why do you use handles instead of your real na

Anonymity is always nice to have.

[snip]

The rest deleted in the name of anonymity

Paul

DieselDave

Super Moderator,

Sahsa is oh so right. Between the gray matter and stepping on bone fragments we don't dare go barefoot around my house.

Sasha have you tried a pressure washer with a 2% bleach solution? It has worked wonders for me.

All the above and the rising cost of ammo keeps me using my handle.

DeeselDaav /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Greta

Flashaholic

Deesel... yeah, I tried that but it took the stucco off the block. Now I just spray with 2% bleach and let the grey matter become part of the stucco wall.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator

I use my first name. Used to use Curmudgeon, but kept forgetting how to spell it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Kiessling

Flashaholic

maybe some want to show something from their personalities? handles are more telling and intimate than names.
btw I am not fons of our western naming system, IMHO the Indians are doing way better by giving the real name only when the youngsters become real men and have shown their true self.
when I compare "Running Deer" to "Bernhard", I am sorry, but my so-called "name" is a pale nothing in comparison. Just by hearing "Running Deer" I have a good Picture of the guy in my mind, whereas "Bernhard" could as well be "Roy" and no one would notice.
That is why they say "names have power". Never understood that until recently. Our names do not have power. Sad.
bernhard

Tomas

Banned

In most instances I use my real name on-line. I'm responsible for what I say.

Those times I don't use my real name are generally because some unknown has decided to use it, and I'm stuck with a handle.

In the rare instances where I feel a "handle" is more appropriate because it gets a certain point across, I'm still not hiding. Those "handles" have been consistant over the years.

As to being Googled - The farthest back I can track myself on-line using Google is 1994 in their USENET searches. Prior to that point I loose the trail. (Those WERE using a 'handle.')

tomsig01.gif
disco.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

Probably stems from when I regularly started using dial-up BBSes in the 1980s. I think it was kind of an unwritten rule then that you use a handle instead of a real name. I was also bitten by the "CB bug" in the late 1970s or around 1980; it was also kind of an unwritten rule that you used a handle on those things too. And when I started a Commodore 64 demo group in the late 1980s ("TDM" at that time, changing to "TDC" in the early 1990s), that too "required" the use of a handle. I had my name and address in the scroll text of a few; only 1 person wrote to me (asking for a diskette containing a specific demo) during all of that time.

I still think that being a user of BBSs back in the 1980s had the biggest influence.

jtice

Flashaholic

Well, I like to keep the same username for everything.
IE. the different forums, registration for sites and whatnot. So, BTW, if you ever see jtice somewhere else, 95% chance is, its me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I would like to know if the rest of you keep one name for all your registrations, and sign on things. Like chat, forums, etc.

But, I would also like to keep some things secret. On here ist now a problem, alot of the ppl I talk to on chat know my name.

Its just alittle added security, I guess. I am sure as hell not worried about some wacko coming to my house, I will take care of them, not unlike Sasha's means. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I agree with kiessling, It helps bring out alittle personality at the same time. Some of the names here are very creative.

My name jtice, is a combination of things.
first jt are my enicials. John Trotto
ice... is from my old "handle" iceman. I used to use iceman because of my Ibenez Iceman guitar.

I stopped using iceman because I found it to be already in use on alot of sites. gerrrr

DumboRAT

Enlightened

I'm partially on The LED Museum's line of 80's BBS's unwritten rule, and partially because I'm on a lot of relatively "large" Forums (in terms of member numbers).

It's often easier to track just one typically more unique handle than have to track dozens of "Allen," "Alan," "Allan," etc.

=)

E-Mails, PMs, etc., there I'm always my more "human" Allen-self.

"Publicallly," though, it's just easier to track down the Rat.

=)

Allen
aka DumboRAT

d'mo

Enlightened

Most of mine are anagrams (full or partial) of my name. Keeps it real....

Darell

Flashaholic

I don't use a "handle" 'cause it clogs up the grey matter. If you feel like stalking me, I'll open a can of Sasha on you.

Saaby

Flashaholic

I donno...I just do. I use my real name below my messages though.

Brock

Flashaholic

What Darell said. I just use my name cuz otherwise I get confused /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mark_van_Gorkom

Enlightened

I don't think I ever used anything but my full name for email, mailinglists, newsgroups or forums. On most groups,etc. I frequent using your real name is the norm, so I stick with that.
Come to think of it, I'd feel uncomfortable using a handle or nickname in public; for me that's more an inner circle kind of thing.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

Wonder what Engelbert Humperdinck would have used -- "Smooth Singer"? Would it have made him as memorable? No point, just making a, er, point...

Signed,

Charlie, AKA: