Which thrower? 100$ budget

NeroZero

Newly Enlightened
Hey, new flasher here:)

Im looking for a good flashlight for trips with my dog and outdoor hiking.

I have looked at the EagleTac T20C2 II or P20C2 MKII, how will this compare to other flashlights for under 100 bucks?

Here are some of my criterias:

- Good throw (Same throw or better throw than a Quark Turbo 123 my friend has, throw is more important than flood.

- CR123's no problem, but AA's is posible. No 18650's.

- I want the light to be under 8 inches.

- I really LOVE strike bezels.

- The flashlight must be under 120 dollars

- Again, THROWER!!!

- No custom builds or thing i have to set apart

- I prefer NON-Aspherics

- I like strobe

- A quality flashlight, no junk

Regards,
Nero

Last edited:

Mathiashogevold

Enlightened
Have you looked at any of the JETbeams? Jet-IIM is good for under 100 $, i haven't tried it by myself, but many people says they like it.

NeroZero

Newly Enlightened
Thank you very much.

Personally, i don't like the Led Lensers. The ''R'' isn't that regulated as it is announced, it dims down in some time..
They have great throw, i know, but Lenser have bad electronics etc, so i would not trust it when i'm at hiking. My other Led Lenser had some water problems, the water was going straight in it, like it was EASY.

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on the Jetbeam lights. They throw very well and make models that take a wicked (almost klingon dagger looking) strike bezel. You can get them in either cool or neutral white tints as well. Neutrals will give you more depth perception and better color rendition outdoors.

Here's a link to that bezel:

http://www.bugoutgearusa.com/ststcrbe.html

Customer service at BOG is also fantastic as well.

Mathiashogevold

Enlightened
When we are already talking about the JetBeam Jet-II M R5, it is announced as 355 lumens, is this OTF lumens or LED lumens?
Gotta get it if it is OTF lumens..

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
The two EagleTacs you mention are not throwers thought the P20C2 does have a nice floody beam. If you want something small to blow away your friends Quark Turbo, get a Maelstrom G5. You can get it from some of the dealers in your exact price range and it will run on two Cr123a primaries. This light throws much better than anything else I have in that size range that is not a dedicated thrower. A dedicated thrower like a Jetbeam RRT-1 or Taiblo A10 will throw better but they have no spill and a very small hotspot. My Jetbeam Jet III-M and RRT-2 don't have nearly as much throw or flood as this light.

ama230

Enlightened
Try and take a look at the M7R or the P5R as they are rechargeable and dont have to take the cell out. Also have a no questions lifetime warranty and excellent customer service. Also for replacement cells, you can find genuine new panasonic 18650's for 22 bucks shipped for two cells, which is an absolute steal from hkequip.

The M7R, i just bought is a absolute thrower at a true 200+lumens and has an absolute flawless flood and throw beam as its fully adjustable and lockable. Alos has a ramp function and a hidden mode not specified but just found out. It has a moon mode whn you grip it and just hold your finger on the polished flush clicky/charger contact. This would run for months as you can read easily with it and not alot of lights have this feature. Very nice:thumbsup:

Also has a Cree XR-E that is a white with a flawless beam and is freaking bright!

Its of excellent quality and is non aspheric and has a constant current for absolute brightness throughout or energy saver which slowly dims according to usage, non noticeable and a very nice feature.

They come in a presentation/ carrying case that is very nice and has a magnetic charger.

The M7R uses a 18650(2c cell size li-ion). The size of xl100
The P5R uses a 14500(aa size li-ion) The size of a 1AA light like a little bigger than the maratac aa.

Comes with a magnetic usb charger like a mac book pro and has all the modes you need and specified.

They can be had at both under a hundred bucks shipped and will throw a couple football fields easy. The p5r is 90 shipped and the p5r is 60 bucks shipped but is not readily available as its the newest coast model. This is my next light. As a usb charging light is very handy and should become standard nowadays.

Hope this helps,
Eric

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey ama230,

I have been looking at the M7R as I already have a couple of Led Lensers in my collection.

It would be great not to wear out the battery screw threads as I have done in 11 months of changing batteries in my Olight M30 Triton.

Apart from the threads wearing out it has been a great torch for my use.

It has gone back to the dealer under warranty and the full story of this saga is in my CPF post below.

A sample picture below shows what happened to my torch screw threads on the left as compared with good threads on the right.

Thee screw threads have worn to a tapered end and it hangs on by less than half the threads compared to when it was new.

IMG_5978.jpg

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/290911

I have a LL M1 and the main point I don't like about it is that it uses CR123s and will not work on RCR123 rechargeables. I have tried to do this on mine.

I also have a LL P14 which is pretty good but the Olight M30 Triton took over its job at 700 lumens, strobe and 18500 Rechargeable Lions.

I now really like the idea of having a rechargeable battery option where the torch stays in a dock or connector ready for quick use and no need to take the tailcap off.

The P7R would be considerably smaller than my P14 as well with more lumens.

I am not sure about how waterproof they are as they have holes in the front where the lens is adjusted.

I have never had my LL P14 subjected to the water torture test and I worry when it is raining even when I have an umbrella and my hand is getting wet on the torch whilst night walking.

Let us know what you think of all aspects of your LL M7R when you have a chance.

Does it dim as the battery loses charge?

The M7R has an energy saving mode that it can run in where the torch will dim over time to conserve the battery capacity or a constant current mode.

It also has three light modes that are Professional, Easy and Tactical Defense.

I think maybe these modes mean you have to have a good memory to remember where you are at all of the time.

Maybe you can get used to it, but it seems a little daunting.

Someone else fiddling with your torch could suddenly change modes on you and leave the other person holding the torch not knowing what is going on and no useful light.

I think one person might get used to it in time if they are a flashaholic, but what a learning curve!!

It is called Smart Light technology and the full explanation is available at - http://www.m-series.com.au/

This demonstration uses the MT7 to show how the technology works and this product information also applies to the M7R and the M14.

Last edited:

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
In reply to Ti²C,

Where is the battery info etc on this Signature torch?

Looks like a good possibility as it supposedly gives me everything that I would want in flood and throw as well as strobe etc.

I have a second button to change modes on my Olight M30 Triton and I like the extra button idea.

All I can find so far is at -

http://www.lumapower.com/signature.html

Cheers :whistle:

Last edited:

boboweb

Newly Enlightened
Thank you very much.

Personally, i don't like the Led Lensers. The ''R'' isn't that regulated as it is announced, it dims down in some time..
They have great throw, i know, but Lenser have bad electronics etc, so i would not trust it when i'm at hiking. My other Led Lenser had some water problems, the water was going straight in it, like it was EASY.

Really ? Which models have you got ?