Quark MiNi AA2 initial impressions

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received my Quark MiNi AA2 yesterday (yes, I paid for it for you lawyer types).

The box that it came in is different from the box that my original MiNi AA came in. It's more of a Fenix-type box than the presentation style box that the older light came in. It's still a nice box, just different.

I installed a brand new pair of alkaline batteries into the light and turned it on. The threads of the head are just like the threads on the MiNi AA: smooth and with a good bit of resistance that inspires confidence. No worries about finding the head and batteries loose in your pockets with this one. A few quick twists and I cycled through medium and high. The high mode is quite bright and the smooth hotspot is quite large but very usable. Comparing it to my Quark MiNi 123 with a used CR123 primary (4Sevens brand, the one that came with my light) the 123 is noticeably brighter in each mode compared to the AA2. The hotspots appear to be about the same size at close range but further out the AA2 has a slightly larger hotspot. As far as tint goes, I won the lottery with this one as the light appears to be more neutral white than the slightly green that I see with my 123.

I took the AA2 and broke it down to its three basic components: the head, body, and tail. The body is symmetrical so it doesn't matter which end you thread the head on to the tail will thread onto the other end and everything will still work. Nicely done, 4Sevens! A consequence of this design is that you can tighten down the head and use the tailcap to turn the light on or off, which is easier to do one-handed because the clip makes it easier to twist the tailcap. The clip appears to be sturdy and well made and is held on with two screws at the end of the tailcap. I did find, though, that the tailcap spring is held on somewhat loosely and it will fall out if you are not careful after removing the tailcap from the body. The threads on the MiNi AA2 are slightly oversized compared to the MiNi AA so the AA head will not thread on completely to the AA2 body. I tried both ends of the body with the same results: the head will thread on then stop with about 0.3mm of threads and the O-ring showing. The AA2 head threads right onto the AA body, albeit a bit loosely, and works just fine in that configuration. Interestingly, you can thread the tailcap onto the AA body and use it as a cannister to store something but I absolutely would not use it to store a battery as this would short it out when the tailcap is tightened down all the way and the end of the battery tube makes contact with the contact surface inside of the tailcap.

Size: the MiNi AA2 is the same outside diameter along the body as the MiNi AA but the narrower part is thinner on the AA2. Lengthwise, the MiNi AA2 is about as long as my SureFire G2 out to the end of the rubber button. It's much slimmer than the G2, however, making it much easier to pocket carry and the clip will ensure that it stays where you put it in your pocket.

Overall, I'm impressed with this light and will be carrying it in place of that G2 as an EDC in-the-jacket light since it's slimmer dimensions means that it will be much more carry-able and the light output is about the same as that G2 anyway (210 OTF lumens on the G2 vs about 180 lumens on the AA2). It just might replace the ITP A3 EOS that currently sits in my pants pocket while I'm at work since the clip will make it a bit easier to carry than the MiNi 123. It definitely will compete directly with my MiNi 123 for pocket time since their outputs are so similar.

Pictures to follow...

bodhran

Enlightened
Thanks for the information. Just wondering how it compares to the Quark AA2 regular and turbo, that I already have.

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
My cousin has a Q AA2 Tactical but he lives kind of far away from me. I'll have to have him bring it by so that I can take pictures of it to show the size difference between the two.

The Q AA2 lights are longer and the head/tail are of a larger diameter.

Manufacturer's specs:
Quark MiNi AA2:
5.0 inches long X 0.70 inches in diameter

Low: 3 lumens for 3.4 days
Medium: 36 lumens for 8.8 hours
High: 180 lumens for 1.7 hours

Quark AA2 Regular:
5.8 inches long X 0.86 inches in diameter

Moonlight: 0.2 lumens for 31 days
Low: 4 lumens for 5 days
Medium: 22 lumens for 24 hours
High: 85 lumens for 5 hours