Which 2AA and which 3AA -will give the most throw?

jacknife

Newly Enlightened
In a conversation last night this question came up. Which,--2AA and Which 3AAA will give the most throw??

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
For 2AA, I wonder how the SureFire E2DL AA would do...

For 3AAA, probably Maglite XL100. Most 3AAA lights are made up of an array of 5mm LEDs, which won't throw very far.

Check out the Derelight Javelin. Amazing throw performance for a 2xAA light. Cool white emitter only; also has a 3xAA extender tube. The emitter can be replaced/upgraded with a P60-style drop-in (best to use the 3xAA extender tube here).

Also, the Fenix TK20 (available on the web for about US$50), and the Fenix LD25 (a similar light, with slightly higher lumen output), offer a neutral white emitter. The TK20 produces a narrow beam with relatively high lux for a 2xAA light, that clearly illuminates targets in a real world woodland environment to a distance of about 200-225 feet (beyond that edge definition starts to degrade, and my ability to readily identify what I'm looking at follows suit). I haven't received my LD25 yet, so I can't compare the two just yet.

Chicago X

Enlightened
There is a 3xAAA version of the X2000 on DX , KD, and FleaBay.

It is a flood-to-zoom aspheric, costs ~$20, and will throw a collimated beam further than most reflector lights.

Mind you, this is a BUDGET light, and there is almost no useful side-spill at full focus.

There is also a "Cree" 2xAA flood-to-zoom LedLenser knockoff on Fleabay for about $14, but it's not quite as bright as the 3xAAA version.

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
I imagine the surefire 2AA E2L outdoorsman throws well since it uses the TIR optic. It's abit pricey though.

jacknife

Newly Enlightened
actually I am looking into The ones you guys have posted . think one of these for my girlfrend is just an easier allaround,, A -type batteries ya know.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wait a second...are you looking for 3AA or 3AAA? The thread title says 3AA, and the OP says 3AAA...

Unless you need the absolute maximum amount of throw, and since you're giving it to a non-flashaholic, my recommendation would be the XL100. It's going to cost more than the generic lights on DX or Ebay, but it would be much better in the long run. You can find a new XL100 on Ebay for a little over $30, or in retail stores around $40.

Personally, I would be wary of those generic lights. Quality isn't too great, and there's also no warranty.

jacknife

Newly Enlightened
Yep I made a mistake in the title Meant 3AAA . Ya see one person had a 2AA and one had a 3AAA and the debate started.