newbiee here...

treejohnny

Newly Enlightened
I have been lurking and reading for a week or so now. I am having a hard time trying to make sense out of it all still.

Is there a place I can find the terms for led lights explained?
I believe that the R2 is a thrower emiter but the rest "rc, q3, q5" and alot more leave scratchin my head yet.

John

nathan225

Newly Enlightened
:welcome: I am not sure about one place to find all the info but just keep reading you learn more and more:twothumbs

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
R2, R4, R5, etc are all bin codes which refer to nothing more than efficiency - I.E. how much light (lumens) are produced given xxx amount of current. It has nothing to do with throw or which emitter is used in a light. The vast majority of people here use this incorrectly to refer to an emitter so if you master this, you will be steps ahead. You really need to know which emitter (xpg, xre, xpe, sst50, etc), which bin, and which tint to know what is going on with a light. Certain emitters can be more throwy than others but that is really more a function of the reflector size/depth (i.e. design of the reflecter). I'm sure more people will chime in and give you more info.