Anybody Have a Nailbender SST-90 P60?

recDNA

Flashaholic
I'm interested in the single mode DD SST-90 D26 drop in. If you have one could you tell me how long it can run before too hot? Is it safe to use 2 X CR123 with it? Any idea of runtime with 2 CR123 vs 1 X IMR1865o?

Thanks!

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
2 123s on a direct drive setup would definitely not work. stay with single lithium ion cells. as for your other question, I haven't the faintest clue!

outersquare

Enlightened
i have a nailbender direct drive SST90 P60 module.

It works fine on 2xCR123, but I have not tried using it more than couple minutes at a time.

Obviously you should use a metal body light. I smeared some thermal paste along the body of module and inside of the head.

run time is something like 20-30 minutes before it noticeably dims, after which it will totally die within a couple more minutes.

yes it the module has significant downsides and borderline impractical..on the plus side, a buddy of mine called basically a flashbang..

utlgoa

Enlightened
I got mine from lighthound and it's a good light, but more of a novelty item. I own a Olight SR90 and assumed that the SST-90 Dropin (in a Solar Force host powered by a 18650 battery) would be the brightest P60 on the planet.

Don't get me wrong, I love the light and get a couple compliments and questions regarding its origin (mostly from coworkers still using surefire halogen) but it is not the "Be All End All" light I hoped it would be.

http://www.lighthound.com/search.asp?keyword=nailbender

I think the new Dropin King is that 1100 Lumen Triple XPG by Oveready!

http://www.oveready.com/led-light-e...-single-level-drop-in-3-5-9-5v-/prod_163.html

Last edited:

bkumanski

Enlightened
I have a DD SST50 from Dave. Mine will run for a while on high before it's too hot to hold, but it will dim quite a bit as a result. I can't imagine the SST90 would fare much better. I got the three mode one, so I use high for short bursts and med for extended runs and it seems to work fine. The key is to make sure its in a good metal host to move the heat. In hindsight, I probably should have gone with the regulated one for more consistent brightness. Maybe there will be a DD SST50 up for sale soon...:sssh:

As far as that triple XPG, :faint:! That in a 9P host would be killer! Wonder how hot that one gets in comparison? The review links are no longer valid (maybe due to the lost posts recently?)

recDNA

Flashaholic
I have a DD SST50 from Dave. Mine will run for a while on high before it's too hot to hold, but it will dim quite a bit as a result. I can't imagine the SST90 would fare much better. I got the three mode one, so I use high for short bursts and med for extended runs and it seems to work fine. The key is to make sure its in a good metal host to move the heat. In hindsight, I probably should have gone with the regulated one for more consistent brightness. Maybe there will be a DD SST50 up for sale soon...:sssh:

As far as that triple XPG, :faint:! That in a 9P host would be killer! Wonder how hot that one gets in comparison? The review links are no longer valid (maybe due to the lost posts recently?)

I had a r5 triple made by a very well respected manufacturer here and I honestly didn't think it was very bright at all. I think the lack of a hotspot made it appear dim to my eyes. I returned mine. Probably could have sold it for a profit because they were in great demand but I didn't feel right about that since I didn't like it myself.

I do, however, like floody lights so I thought I'd try a SST-90.

I have the NB 2.8 amp reg. SST-50. I was looking for a bigger brighter hotspot on max. I would like at least 5 minutes of runtime before it gets dim though. I have a new C2 and need something cool to put in it! I think it's cheaper to buy directly from NB than a website.

Last edited:

ptolemy

Enlightened
I had a r5 triple made by a very well respected manufacturer here and I honestly didn't think it was very bright at all. I think the lack of a hotspot made it appear dim to my eyes. I returned mine. Probably could have sold it for a profit because they were in great demand but I didn't feel right about that since I didn't like it myself.

I have the NB 2.8 amp reg. SST-50. I was looking for a bigger brighter hotspot on max. I would like at least 5 minutes of runtime before it gets dim though. I have a new C2 and need something cool to put in it! I think it's cheaper to buy directly from NB than a website.

there are few things you should keep in mind.

the tripple doesn't have a well defined hot spot but alot of spill.

sst-90 is not nessesary going to give you more lumens since sst-50 maxes out at 5amps and sst-90 at 9 and both can only be driven at 2.8.

i think dave mentioned that sst-90 will give you maybe 10-20 more lumens.

now, if you really want a hotspot, get this, send it to dave to run it direct drive. off imr you will pull 4.1-4.2 amps on sst-50 thts over 1000 lumens.

and it has almost 2" long smooth parabolic reflector. sick throw, imo

recDNA

Flashaholic
Good point. I didn't know that NB's SST-90 only pulled 2.8 amps on an IMR18650

I'm not looking for yet another host. I have new SF C2 to feed. I'm looking for a great P60 to drop into it.

I knew the triple was all flood when I bought it but it looked dimmer than I imagined it would. Now I know that although I like a floody light I like it to have a spot and spill rather than all spill.

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
It works fine on 2xCR123, but I have not tried using it more than couple minutes at a time.

I'm confused now. you've run a direct drive sst90 off of 2 CR123A primaries? the voltage drops enough under that high a load?

I thought the led would begin turning blue, but perhaps the 123s are dropping to a low enough voltage... but that would be pulling waaay too much current from those cells.. :poke:

outersquare

Enlightened
I'm confused now. you've run a direct drive sst90 off of 2 CR123A primaries? the voltage drops enough under that high a load?

I thought the led would begin turning blue, but perhaps the 123s are dropping to a low enough voltage... but that would be pulling waaay too much current from those cells.. :poke:

yes direct drive..off 2xCR123
I did not use a voltmeter but I am assuming the voltage sags enough
I did measure current and it's pulling 2.8A at the tail, max with a new set of CR123, it drops off after that.

i'm not as involved as most people here, i like stupid easy setups

recDNA

Flashaholic

I know Nailbender has told me 2 X CR123 are fine with his SST-50. I was just concerned that the SST-90 might pull too much current. It it is 2.8 amps with the SST-90 also there is really no difference to the batteries. 2.8 amps is 2.8 amps no matter what is pulling it.

Chevy-SS

Enlightened
I have the Nailbender SST-90 as you describe. I used it with 123*2, but I just thought it was too much current draw for those batteries. They got hot, fast.

I bored the host (Surefire 6P) and am now using IMR 18650. Plus I installed a McClicky+brass switch.

The SST-90 has a magnificent, huge, floody hotspot. Very impressive. Not good for throw, but if you wanna light up the area nearby, the SST-90 rocks! :)

-

recDNA

Flashaholic
Well if it is 2.8 amps I routinely use my 2.8 amp NB SST-50 with 2 X CR123. I never use it for extended periods on high though.

Golfer2000

Newly Enlightened
Im with you. I was expecting the triple to blow me away and for some reason it didnt. I guess I'm in search again for something that will. I guess you cant have your cake and eat it too. A 6P package that will amaze you... Maybe I need an extension or a SST-90..

outersquare

Enlightened
i don't have a triple XPG but it would not surprise me if the output was a wash against SST90 to the naked eye.

i think perceived light output is one of those logarithmic functions, you would need several times more measured light to "see" a substantial difference.

either of these solutions is probably about the max that can be squeezed out from a 6P size package for now.
any sort of order magnitude improvement will take substantial new technology.

Golfer2000

Newly Enlightened
i don't have a triple XPG but it would not surprise me if the output was a wash against SST90 to the naked eye.

i think perceived light output is one of those logarithmic functions, you would need several times more measured light to "see" a substantial difference.

either of these solutions is probably about the max that can be squeezed out from a 6P size package for now.
any sort of order magnitude improvement will take substantial new technology.
I think the other issue is that the triple is great for short range, and thats what its designed for I suppose, but its throw is really not what Im looking for. Is it the lack of the reflector that causes it to be such a short throwing light? Would the SST90 be a better mix of the two?

nbjly

Enlightened
I just bought a NB 3 Mode SST-90 and an OR 3-mode XPG Triple.

I have been playing around - the SST90 run by 1 x18650x2600Mah is not quite as bright as the Triple on 2xRCR123x750Mah. Those configurations are as close to ideal as I could get.

They're both supposed to be cool tint but the the Triple is a very nice warm color. Its beam is larger in diameter and everything around you is lit up, out to about 50 yards distantance and about 50 yards wide. Maybe farther but that's the edge of the woods. I read "wall of light" all the time but had not seen it.

The SST-90 was bright and also floody, its beam wasn't as large in diameter, and not quite as bright, and a little bluish.

Neither would pick out things inside the woodline, they both had nice modes with low lows; I like them both enough to keep.

I'll tell you something else, when you get lights this bright you can see how much crap there is in the air - it makes a difference some nights.

I have a FM 1x26500 I'm going to put the SST-90 in and make sure it gets all it can handle.

The triple will go in a bored C3 with 2x18500

recDNA

Flashaholic

I have been playing around - the SST90 run by 1 x18650x2600Mah is not quite as bright as the Triple on 2xRCR123x750Mah. Those configurations are as close to ideal as I could get.

They're both supposed to be cool tint but the the Triple is a very nice warm color. Its beam is larger in diameter and everything around you is lit up, out to about 50 yards distantance and about 50 yards wide. Maybe farther but that's the edge of the woods. I read "wall of light" all the time but had not seen it.

The SST-90 was bright and also floody, its beam wasn't as large in diameter, and not quite as bright, and a little bluish.

Neither would pick out things inside the woodline, they both had nice modes with low lows; I like them both enough to keep.

I'll tell you something else, when you get lights this bright you can see how much crap there is in the air - it makes a difference some nights.

I have a FM 1x26500 I'm going to put the SST-90 in and make sure it gets all it can handle.

The triple will go in a bored C3 with 2x18500

I'll never undrstand why 1 X 26650 hosts aren't more readily available. No reason they should cost so much more than 1 X 18650 hosts but of course they do. I bet the SST-90 would be much brighter with the 26650. I've also heard the single mode model is brighter.

Chevy-SS

Enlightened

When you use the word "beam" do you mean the hotspot or are you including the spill area too?

I have a NB SST-90 and the hotspot is HUGE. Just curious if the XPG Triple is producing a larger hotspot than the SST-90.

thanks

-

Latest posts