This new sc51 has got me interested. Couple of questions

bigfish5

Newly Enlightened
I love my d10, so when i came on the forum and did a little catching up i read about the d11. Then i see the d11 is really no brighter than my old d10 and they have changed the u.i. Losing the instant high and instant low, not good. So as i am reading this stuff i see some stuff about the upcoming zebralight sc51, 200otf lumens from one nimh aa battery! Now that sounds good. So a few questions if u guys dont mind helping me part with my money.
Will the sc51 be any brighter on lithium ion 14500's?
Is their anyplace to put a trit on the sc51, as this is one of my favorite tbings about my d10 "slotted piston"?

Are their any other 1xAA light approaching 200 otf lumens?

What kind of beam will it have. Hopefully like my d10. Nice sized hotspot but with good spill and a little throw . "i have the golden dragon led in my d10 and it has a beautiful beam.

Am i that far behind or is 200otf lumens from a single aa battery pretty awsome or what. Last light i bought was a while ago and it was a letdown. Trying not to waste any more money its to tight right now.

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
The sc51 was designed around using a nimh battery so there is really no difference between an AA nimh or a 14500. 200 otf lumens for a single AA light is astounding. There is not another light that can do it using a single nimh AA battery. There is not a place to attach a key chain or lanuard but the clip is great

bigfish5

Newly Enlightened
I never use a clip, i just drop my d10 in my pocket. Sounds like an amazingly bright light for 1 aa battery. I will keep my ears open for a review.

Starchaser

Newly Enlightened
I love my d10, so when i came on the forum and did a little catching up i read about the d11. Then i see the d11 is really no brighter than my old d10 and they have changed the u.i. Losing the instant high and instant low, not good. So as i am reading this stuff i see some stuff about the upcoming zebralight sc51, 200otf lumens from one nimh aa battery! Now that sounds good. So a few questions if u guys dont mind helping me part with my money.
Will the sc51 be any brighter on lithium ion 14500's?
Is their anyplace to put a trit on the sc51, as this is one of my favorite tbings about my d10 "slotted piston"?

Are their any other 1xAA light approaching 200 otf lumens?

What kind of beam will it have. Hopefully like my d10. Nice sized hotspot but with good spill and a little throw . "i have the golden dragon led in my d10 and it has a beautiful beam.

Am i that far behind or is 200otf lumens from a single aa battery pretty awsome or what. Last light i bought was a while ago and it was a letdown. Trying not to waste any more money its to tight right now.

bigfish5... selfbuilts excellent review of the SC51 should answer all your questions and more. :)

www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=291124

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
The sc51 was designed around using a nimh battery so there is really no difference between an AA nimh or a 14500. 200 otf lumens for a single AA light is astounding. There is not another light that can do it using a single nimh AA battery. There is not a place to attach a key chain or lanuard but the clip is great

I wouldn't go so far as to say that. Just about any modern LED light equipped with this driver can break 200 lumens. It used to be produced by a member here named RV7.

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't go so far as to say that. Just about any modern LED light equipped with this driver can break 200 lumens. It used to be produced by a member here named RV7.

With a single 1.2v AA cell? I seriously doubt that, what emitter was it using? And most importantly, what was the runtime like?

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
Selfbuilt's review is outstanding, and it was largely because of it and discussions in other threads here that I ordered an SC50w+ yesterday as I'm not willing to wait for the neutral version to come out.

If I remember correctly, he said there is a small increase in output of the 51 on a 14500 over a nimh or L91 but it's minimal compared to the difference for the 50+, so there doesn't seem to be much of an advantage using a 14500 over a primary for it.

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
NiMH. 30-45 minutes it draws 2-3 amps. Keep in mind that NiMH is frequently used to run DC motors. The current demands of LED are somewhat paltry.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/166132

Was it seriously measured at 200 lumen OTF though? Surely if this had been possible then it would have been a mainstay of the top manufacturers for a while now, instead of an obsure diy sku. on DX?

Even the new Fenix LD10 on XP-G can only reach 170 lumens, if we're talking XR-E's then the brightest AA production light I know of is the D10 SP R2 which put out about 140 lumens at the same drive currents youre giving for this driver. :thinking:

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
One thing I've noticed is that on an Eneloop, my SC50+ doesn't run nearly as long as the specs say it will. I'll admit, I've not actually measured it, but I know it can't. The high mode dies very quick. However, on an IMR 14500 I ran it the other night on high for 30min. It was still going strong but I thought that was long enough. I didn't even hold it. It got warm, but not uncomfortable. I was surprised it ran so long on a 600mah cell, but it seems to out do the Eneloop by quite a bit. I was only expecting about 15-20min max. The main reason I did it besides testing the run time was to make sure the led and circuitry was good. I figure if it can do that then the chances are it will last. I'm going to get an SC51 when they're available, but the SC50+ runs really well on the IMR's. Better IMO than on Li-ion 14500's. And the XRE gets pretty good throw.

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well what I like so much about the runtime/output specs on the sc51 is not only are they OTF ratings, but also they are based on the performance on an eneloop cell. All previous AA zebralight offerings (bar the H51) were tested on a sanyo 2700mah cell, hence the longer rated runtimes than what you actually get on an eneloop. So hopefully the SC51 will more than live up to expectations!

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Was it seriously measured at 200 lumen OTF though? Surely if this had been possible then it would have been a mainstay of the top manufacturers for a while now, instead of an obsure diy sku. on DX?

Even the new Fenix LD10 on XP-G can only reach 170 lumens, if we're talking XR-E's then the brightest AA production light I know of is the D10 SP R2 which put out about 140 lumens at the same drive currents youre giving for this driver. :thinking:

It is what it is, a boost driver designed for NiMH. The LD10 as far as I know is not designed specifically for NiMH so it is probably not actually reaching that output. Did you notice the huge induction coil? It is on __ because it was previously designed and produced by a member here. When he sent the design out for overseas production it was "borrowed". The reason why you haven't seen such a circuit on other lights is that I'd imagine mainstream manufactures want to maintain the ability to run on high with alkaline. Alkaline cells are just not capable of much, by designing a light with alkaline in mind they are stunting it's performance. Just because something is not a mainstream product does not mean it is inferior. Look at a lot of the modders and small scale manufacturers on here, a lot of what they produce is far superior to what leaves the gates of fenix/pelican etc. There was a time when this board sold for a pretty good price right here on the CPF.

The D10 runs at 500ma max.

Last edited:

Starchaser

Newly Enlightened
What is the anticipated release date for the SC51?

I don't know how accurate this is, but here is a quote.

Just got an E-mail from zebralight about the SC51. Two weeks for preorder and 4 weeks to ship. The wait has been killing me,I contacted zebra two weeks ago and they would not give me an answer. I almost pulled the trigger on the SC50+ last night but I'm glad I waited. I have been wanting a zebra for awhile.