4sevens Mini AA-2 review with OTF Lumens, 90 Minute Runtime and Beamshots

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast
This light was provided by 4sevens for evaluation. This is a prototype version of the production model. I'm sure very few changes were made from this prototype version to the production model, but I felt like this needed to be mentioned. If you're interested in purchasing a production model, it can be purchased directly from 4Sevens by clicking here.

The Quark Mini AA-2 is a new addition to the Quark Mini family. This light is similar to the other Quark Mini lights, but this one has a clip for all you clip lovers out there, and it's removable for all you clip haters out there :D. The Mini AA-2 is the first light from 4sevens to have a clip that's designed for deep pocket carry.

Some improvements this light has over the other Mini lights is the clip addition and clip placement, higher output when using the AA format, and longer runtimes. In my opinion, this is a great addition to the Mini family and I haven't had any problems with this light during my time with it. I would like to note that this light does have battery rattle. Just thought I'd mention that for any of you who like to shake, rattle and roll your lights :D.

I've taken some pictures of this light, runtimes and OTF (out the front) lumens readings in my 16" homemade integrating sphere. Scroll on for more info.

Features and Specifications: (*taken from manufacturers website*)

Ultra compact design
Deep-carry pocket clip
Superior reflector for the perfect balance between spot and flood lighting

LED: CREE XP-G R5
Material: Type-III hard-anodized aircraft-grade aluminum
Lens: Optical-grade glass lens with anti-reflective coating on both sides
Waterproof Rating: IPX-8
Battery Type: Two AA batteries (up to 3.0 volts; batteries are included)

Seven Output Modes: (*manufacturers results*)
Low: 3.0 OTF lumens, 3.4 days
Medium: 36 OTF lumens, 8.8 hours
High: 180 OTF lumens, 1.7 hours
Strobe: 3.3 hours
S.O.S.: 10 hours
Beacon (Hi): 17 hours
Beacon (Lo): 88 hours

Included accessories: Lanyard, spare o-ring, instruction manual, and two AA batteries.

Dimensions:
*NOTE*All dimensions were taken by me. I used my calipers for length and diameter, and my Pelouze PE5 scales for weight measurements.

Length without batteries: 5.158" or 131.01mm

Length with batteries: 5.165" or 131.19

Diameter: .693" or 17.61mm

Weight without batteries: 1 oz. or 28 g

Weight with Energizer E2 Lithium's: 2 oz. or 56 g

Weight with Duracell Alkaline AA's: 2.7 oz. or 76 g

Length with batteries: " or mm (*NOTE* this measurement was taken with the head loosened to mimic every day carry)

Length without battery: " or mm

Diameter: " or mm

Weight with two (2) Energizer Lithium Primaries: .6 oz. or 18g

Weight with two (2) Duracell Coppertop Alkaline's: .7 oz. or 22g

OTF LUMENS:

Here are my OTF lumen readings of this light. I have two homemade integrating spheres. One is a 24" like Bigchelis has and the other is a 16" sphere like MrGman had. MrGman was kind enough to share his time and knowledge helping me with my sphere setup and getting it as accurate as possible, and I'd like to thank him for that.

These numbers are as close as you can get with a homemade system like this, but keep in mind that these numbers are what you can expect to see. What I mean is, different variables can cause one light to be brighter than another one, so keep in mind that it's possible for you to purchase one that's not as bright as this one, or one that's brighter than this one. Here are the numbers:

High Mode Alkaline:

QuarkMiniAA-2HighMode.png

High Mode Lithium Primary:

QuarkMiniAA-2LithiumE2HighMode.png

Medium Mode Alkaline:

QuarkMiniAA-2MediumMode.png

Low Mode Alkaline:

QuarkMiniAA-2LowMode.png

RUNTIME TESTING:

Runtime testing was done in High mode. All batteries used were new, fresh batteries. The Energizer Lithium batteries are L91's (E2's or Ultimate). The Alkaline batteries are Duracell Coppertop AA's.

MiniAA-2AlkalinevsLithiumRuntimeFinal.png

This test was done in High mode using two (2) fresh Duracell AA Alkaline batteries. Here are my results:

QuarkMiniAA-2RuntimeFinal.png

Now for some eye candy :naughty::

DSC01200.jpg

DSC01201.jpg

DSC01157.jpg

Close up of knurling:

DSC01154crop.jpg

DSC01159.jpg

Removable Clip :thumbsup::

DSC01161.jpg

DSC01162.jpg

DSC01165.jpg

Anodized threads on both ends; this means you can lock-out the tailcap and use it to turn the light off and on with the head tightened :thumbsup:. Or vise versa if you prefer.

DSC01169.jpg

DSC01170.jpg

DSC01171.jpg

DSC01172.jpg

Back side of the Driver:

DSC01175.jpg

XP-G R5 emitter:

DSC01177.jpg

DSC01177cro.jpg

From left to right - Quark AA-2 Turbo, Quark AA-2, Mini AA-2; Quark 123-2 Turbo, Quark 123-2, Quark AA; ReVO and Mini 123. Whew, that was a mouthful :D
DSC01251.jpg

*INDOOR BEAMSHOTS*
White wall/Indoor beamshots:

These are .gif images. Distance from light to wall was roughly 1.5 feet, and all camera settings remained the same for all images taken.

Mini 123 High vs Mini AA-2 High
Mini-123-vs-Mini-AA-2-High.gif

Mini 123 Medium vs Mini AA-2 Medium
Mini-123-vs-Mini-AA-2-Medium.gif

Mini 123 Low vs Mini AA-2 Low
Mini-123-vs-Mini-AA-2-Low.gif

Last edited:

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: 4sevens Mini AA-2 review with OTF Lumens and 90 Minute Runtime

160ish OTF off 2 AA Alkalines is awesome:party::party::party::party:

Now push it harder. Where are those NiZn 1.8V topped off AA cells???

How about NiMH AA cells?

If it doesnt turn blue then go for it. :thumbsup:

don.gwapo

Enlightened

What about 14500 and a spacer? Pretty sure it will hit 200+ otf.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim

Great photos and thanks for the review. :)

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast

Those run time charts are nice to look at. I was guesstimating that my MiNi AA2 was putting out 150 lumens so I was pretty close.

You didn't mention that the body tube is threaded identically on both ends so that it doesn't matter which end you thread on the tailcap or the head, it will still work.

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for this report, ti-force.

An interesting light. I especially like the clip design and wish the other Quarks were so equipped. I don't use the clips on my Quarks because they leave so much of the light still out of pocket. This design for deep pocket carry is very good.

Looking forward to seeing what performance will be like with L91s and Eneloops.

amigafan2003

Enlightened

What's the point? Just use a 14500 in a normal QMiNi AA. Oh, an I think on 14500 it's about 280 otf as it goes direct drive.

Bass

Enlightened

Another great review ti-force. Thanks for all your work on these. Great pics :thumbsup:

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast

160ish OTF off 2 AA Alkalines is awesome:party::party::party::party:

Now push it harder. Where are those NiZn 1.8V topped off AA cells???

How about NiMH AA cells?

If it doesnt turn blue then go for it. :thumbsup:

I don't have any NiZn or NiMH cells. I may have to invest in some NiMH's. I wonder if the NiZn cells would cause the light to go direct drive?

:whistle:......:D

Great photos and thanks for the review. :)

Thanks for the complement, and you're quite welcome for the review; just glad to help :D.

Thanks for this report, ti-force.

An interesting light. I especially like the clip design and wish the other Quarks were so equipped. I don't use the clips on my Quarks because they leave so much of the light still out of pocket. This design for deep pocket carry is very good.

Looking forward to seeing what performance will be like with L91s and Eneloops.

I'm planning to test OTF lumens on L91's. I wish I had some NiMH's cells, but I don't.

Another great review ti-force. Thanks for all your work on these. Great pics :thumbsup:

You're quite welcome and thanks for the picture complement. Also, thanks for posting those beautiful ReVO SS pics in the ReVO review thread; I might have to call on you for some advice :eek:.

Last edited:

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks ti-force for the review!

I find this light very interesting. Still over 100 lumens after 1 hour with alkalines I think is pretty good! And of course with NiMh or Lithium it will be even better. However, medium will be the allround mode for me, and I think it will be for the most users.

Regards, Patric

Burgess

Flashaholic
to Ti-Force --

Great work here, with your review !

:goodjob::kewlpics::thanks:

Can you perhaps tell us . . . .

Is the tail-spring any more "substantial" than in the MiNi AAx1 version ?

I've always felt it was a bit too thin and weak.

:(
_

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast
to Ti-Force --

Great work here, with your review !

:goodjob::kewlpics::thanks:

Can you perhaps tell us . . . .

Is the tail-spring any more "substantial" than in the MiNi AAx1 version ?

I've always felt it was a bit too thin and weak.

:(
_

Thanks for the kind words Burgess; I appreciate it :thumbsup:.

I don't have a Mini AA-1 to compare to, but I just removed the tailcap from the AA-2 and pressed on the spring with my index finger. The spring compresses fairly easily. Is this what you're referring to? If so, then I'm guessing your concern is that the battery could possibly loose contact with the head due to back and forth movement of the batteries in the event that the light is dropped or smacked pretty hard?

I this correct or is there another problem that you're worried about? I reinstalled the tailcap, turned the light on and switched it into High mode, then proceeded to smack the light (at the tailcap end) fairly hard against the palm of my free hand. When I do this I hear some battery rattle, but it's side to side movement of the batteries and not back and forth movement. The batteries may move slightly back and forth when I do this, but I don't notice any problems and the driver circuit never looses contact with the batteries, because the light remained in High mode during the whole smacking test :D. If contact was lost I would experience a mode change.

Maybe this helps you. If not, we'll try it again :)

Last edited:

Burgess

Flashaholic
. . . . The spring compresses fairly easily. Is this what you're referring to?

> Yes, that's correct.

If so, then I'm guessing your concern is that the battery could possibly loose contact with the head due to back and forth movement of the batteries in the event that the light is dropped or smacked pretty hard?

> Yes, also correct. Sometimes, it doesn't even take a HARD hit to do it.
:-(

I reinstalled the tailcap, turned the light on and switched it into High mode, then proceeded to smack the light (at the tailcap end) fairly hard against the palm of my free hand. When I do this I hear some battery rattle, but it's side to side movement of the batteries and not back and forth movement. The batteries may move slightly back and forth when I do this, but I don't notice any problems and the driver circuit never looses contact with the batteries, because the light remained in High mode during the whole smacking test :D. If contact was lost I would experience a mode change.

> Yes, Ti-Force, this is exactly what i am talking about. I would be able to change Modes simply by *smacking* the base of my MiNi AA flashlights against my hand. Happened with All 3 of my MiNi's, to various degrees.
:-(

Thank you for checking this out for me.
It was 'bout the ONLY thing which bugged me with my MiNi's.

lovecpf
_

beau007

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the great review! It seems to me that this just may be the perfect "shirt pocket" light. :party:

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I compared the springs in both my MiNi AA2 and the MiNi AA and they both look the same. I can assure you that the spring is sufficiently stiff as I took ti-force's test one step further by turning the light on then dropping it onto its tail onto the thin rug from about three feet and it did not change modes.

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast
I took ti-force's test one step further by turning the light on then dropping it onto its tail onto the thin rug from about three feet and it did not change modes.

I doubt you're rug smacked harder than my hand :devil:. See video below and make sure you have your sound turned on :D.

Burgess,

I made a video just for your :D. It's a smacking smackdown test on the Mini AA-2 :crackup: I took the video with my cell phone so the quality may not be the best in the world, but I think you will be pleased with the results. Or at least I hope you are, because the palm of my hand is red and hurting right now from all this smacking :crackup:.....:crackup:

Also, I'd like to note that the smackdown video testing was done with Energizer L91's (8x or Ultimate Lithium primaries), but I did confirm that the light successfully passed the test with some Duracell Coppertop Alkaline's :thumbsup:.

Enjoy :D:

Click here

Last edited: