Are most modern LED flashaholics male and why is it? Phallic maybe!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not trying to be rude here.

I am just really interested in knowing whether most of the modern day LED torch collectors are male or not.

You know the old saying "BOYS AND THEIR TOYS".

Does this apply here?

As LED torches are probably the biggest market share these days I thought it best to ask this question in this forum.

The modern woman of today who runs ranches, businesses and homes might also be the buyer of a good torch to help protect themseves.

And just how would a woman of today find out what a good torch is?

She probably would ask a male hardware or Walmart person.

Maybe she would look for a woman to serve her in regard to this purchase.

I don't know, I am just posing the questions here.

If men are by far the biggest torch collectors or users why do you think this is?

I know some guys or even girls are going to say it is all about PHALLIC SYMBOLISM or a power trip.

What are your takes on this interesting hobby of torch collecting.

Calling all FLASHAHOLICS!!!!

Is this an example of Phallic Symbolism and Lighting below?

Torchphallicsymbol.jpg

Last edited:

PhotoGal

Newly Enlightened
Hello!

I don't usually post very often, preferring to just peruse the forums instead. As a gal Flashaholic, I've been interested in flashlights since I was a little girl - dunno why, but they just fascinated me.

Finding out what a good torch is? She should start here at CPF, as I did. No, DO NOT ask a male hardware or Walmart person! Many times, THEY don't know any more about flashlights than you. :ohgeez:

My current collection of flashlights is over 100, with many of them being Surefires, and even an older KelLight which I bought in the '70s when they first came out. I always research the comments and reviews of a certain flashlight before deciding to buy one or two. I think other women should do the same: read the reviews and comments, then decide for yourself.

For EDC, I always have at least 3 flashlights with me in my pocket, on a keyring, or in my purse. Many times they've come in handy. Once, at a movie theatre, a young couple behind me had taken their mother-in-law to see the movie, and they were very rude to her, berating her for dropping something on the floor behind me. Well, I had my Liteflux LF2XT with me and turned it on to the very low setting and dangled it over the seatback so they could find whatever it was that the mother had dropped on the floor. They found it, chewed out the mother some more, and never said a word to me or a 'thank you' for lighting up the floor so they could find the object! I guess that's gratitude for you.

So, as an answer to your question, NO not all flashaholics are men! There are a fair number of us gals out there, too. We just stay in the background, that's all. :sssh:

Regards,

Jackie

fishhead

Newly Enlightened
So a woman needs a male hardware or Walmart person to tell her what a good flashlight is? Setting aside the risible notion that the average big box hardware or Walmart employee would know what a good flashlight is, I would say a woman could use all the resources, such as the internet, to research the subject just as a man would. Some of us even end up on CPF. :whistle:

As to the thread title, well, sometimes a flashlight is just a flashlight....

jellydonut

Enlightened
Because it's geeky as heck. Most people regardless of sex would find flashlight collecting about as geeky as rail models and stamp collecting I guess.

I'm considered a weirdo just for carrying one around with me - I'm just glad people don't know how many I actually have.:whistle:

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi PhotoGal,

I did not think for the life of me that the first comment in this thread would be a gal.

I have no idea how many female CPF members there are.

I wonder if we can find that out from the moderators?

I am 56 years old and have been an Electrician all my grown life hence my interest in torches.

Over the years I have had most of the early model ones but since LEDs are now so far advanced I don't know where a male or female would start except here at CPF.

I am only new to CPF but have been looking at these threads for a long time now.

Does anyone knows when CPF first started?

I know there are more important things in life other than torches but it does seem to grow on you especially since there is now such an overwhelming number of designs and brands out there.

I would not have believed that anyone let alone a lady would have 100 torches in their collection.

I have had all of the mini maglites and big maglites etc over the years.

My first taste of LED technology was when I bought an Aurora headband light.

It was good at the time but boy does it look sad now.

The thing that looks most pathetic in comparison to modern pocket torches is my old Minimag lights.

They look like a poor candle next to todays generation of lights.

I should have kept all of them for nostalgic reasons but they probably would have taken up a huge space in my garage.

In 1970 I had just started my training as an Electrician. I know you should not ask a lady how old she is but you have really told me in your comments approximately how old you are.

What made you start collecting torches and don't tell me that you still have the earliest ones?

Oh Dear, I think I have started something here.

Boy have I got some bites already.

Last edited:

bill_n_opus

Enlightened
Why are most shoe collectors "tend" to be women?

It is what it is ... I don't get too excited about it.

that's why we have gender differences. :whistle:

fishhead

Newly Enlightened
Because it's geeky as heck. Most people regardless of sex would find flashlight collecting about as geeky as rail models and stamp collecting I guess.

I was thinking 'gadget factor' but geeky works as well, too. Men do tend to outnumber women in the 'geeky' arena, although I think sometimes the perception of which is greater than the truth of the matter.

Most people I know, men and women alike, would look at me like I had grown three new heads if I told them I not only do I routinely carry a flashlight and that I had 30 of them at home in an ever growing collection.

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Women collecting shoes I understand, but torches?

I do have a wife and if she could she would buy more shoes to collect dust.

She has one torch on her keyring and that is the ones I buy her.

I do at least buy my own shoes. clothes and torches.

She now has an ITP A3 EOS that I gave to her last XMAS.

How many men have more than 10 pairs of shoes?

I can't for the life of me see the day when women would all get together at a night torch event to talk about big torches and how they perform.

Yes I am ready for humorous comments about my last sentence.

Maybe there have been ladies that have met with guys at a night torch event.

If there have been any ladies that have attended such an event I would like to know out of curiousity.

I don't think if I were trying to meet women on the Internet that I would include "torch collecting" as one of my hobbies.

I think most women would stay clear of me and say this guy needs a wife or a life!!!.

Last edited:

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please enlighten me about the CPF admin.

I have seen some female names flying around in upper CPF circles.

I started this thread because I wanted to find out just who is interested in this hobby/pastime/obsession call it what you like.

I was just talking to my wife and there are people out there that collect stranger stuff than torches like spiders, marbles or Star Wars memorabilia.

My excuse is that torches are useful.

Last edited:

Tally-ho

Banned
:crackup:

Wise words...
+1

If only anyone knew all the abusive nonsense that Freud have said and written in his life, using symbolism...:devil:
Sometimes it is better to play with a flashlight than with symbolism.

BTW:
Could anyone tell us if flashlights have a phallic shape because of the batteries shape, or if batteries have a phallic shape because of flashlights shape.
(Clue: ever try to machinize an aluminum tube with 4 coins instead of a round one...)

(I'm sure this thread is going to grow vey quickly. :D)

Last edited:

tandem

Enlightened
Can you tell us if flashlights have a phallic shape because of the batteries shape, or if batteries have a phallic shape because of flashlights shape.

If batteries are the root of phallic symbolism, what does that say about those who envy lights employing CR2032 watch cells or CR123's over those of sturdier stalk encasing 18650's or even D cells?

Have there been any studies into whether those of the female gender tend to prefer men who keep short and thick cells in their flashlights over those who are drawn to longer and more slender sources of power? Oh sure, some may claim that it is not the diameter and length of ones cells which matter most in the production of light, for how they are driven is of singular importance. Are these scrawny cell lovers hiding secret desires for more capacious cylinders? Or are they indeed more self-assured than hulking cell hoarders that they can produce light when the time is right?

Last edited:

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the shape has been for a long time about the multiple batteries combo used in years gone by and the grip is a thing to consider.

A square torch would be hard to hold and point I would think.

This is why I refer to the shape humourously as being "PHALLIC".

It was a good conversation starter anyhow!!

I have an ITP A3 EOS in my pocket and an Olight M30 Triton in my "man bag" or male purse as some people call it.

I have great fun with the easy access strobe function button on my Olight M30 at clubs, pubs and parties.

I get strange looks from people that see these torches and I think that they think it is unusual.

I have a sort of excuse as I am an Electrician and use them quite a lot.

I get called "Sparky Marky" by some of my friends and family and they are now not surprised at anything that I have that has to do with lights.

It's just strangers that think I am ready for the "LOONY BIN".

What reasons do you guys have when people think you are a weirdo for carrying torches?

Last edited:

Tally-ho

Banned
Well, originally a flashlight is a kind of tool and a male will probably tend to collect them more than a female.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.