Brightest P60 for 2xCR123

Demon27

Newly Enlightened
This has probably been discussed a million times already but I had trouble searching for P60 drop-ins that work with two non-rechargeable 123s. I have a Surefire G2 LED that I am planning on giving to my dad. He wants it as bright as possible. I have some drop-ins from DX (R2, R5, Q5) that are 180+ lumen range already. Just wanting some opinions on a brighter option that would still be fairly cheap.

andyfrasier

Enlightened
I know you said fairly cheap, but I cannot help but point out that the triple xpg 1000 lumen monster is in stock at oveready.com, a rare thing. I have one of these and let me tell you it is worth every penny.

If that is too much moola, try the thrunite xpg 1.5 amp drop in. I use it and it is very bright.

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nailbender XP-G or one of his SST-50/90 offerings. You want bright? You got it.

Edit: just realized you said G2, which limits your options for "brightest P60". The Nitrolon head in the G2 doesn't transmit heat well, so a lot of threads recommend going with a metal head if using a brighter drop-in. You'd probably be safe with an XP-G but anything brighter might just cook itself.

Last edited:

fyrstormer

Banned
I suspect a reflectored drop-in would be better than one with a plastic optic, because a substantial amount of the IR generated by the emitter will simply reflect out through the front of the light.

mrartillery

Enlightened
I know you said CR123's but I had one of these awhile back and it is very bright for the money and size, you must use IMR cells though.

ejot

Enlightened
What is "fairly cheap"? The more quantitative you can be, the better the suggestions will match what you want. Nailbender XP-G is an excellent choice if it's within your budget. Even better, Anto just opened a few slots for his massively heatsinked/fully potted XP-G modules. These do a tested/true 300+ out the front, but you better hurry if you want to get one.

Edit: just realized you said G2, which limits your options for "brightest P60". The Nitrolon head in the G2 doesn't transmit heat well, so a lot of threads recommend going with a metal head if using a brighter drop-in. You'd probably be safe with an XP-G but anything brighter might just cook itself.
The G2 LED comes stock with an aluminum head. :)

I know you said CR123's but I had one of these awhile back and it is very bright for the money and size, you must use IMR cells though.
:thinking:
Lumensfactory IMR-9 ?

Last edited:

Demon27

Newly Enlightened
Thanks everybody. I will have to check on those drop-ins. I am hoping to spend less than $50

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
What makes the nailbender P60 the brightest?:shrug:
Nothing different with the parts but its the service that is perfect for you. He's a person who will explain to you what you're buying and do his best to ensure the product you select is the one you want.

Also best if you source a different head (get a solarforce for high quality, low cost option) that is metal, the plastic (nitron) keeps heat in and that makes led's dimmer (cool is best).

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would agree with the consensus of going with a Nailbender drop-in. You have the flexibility with the product of a wide variety of LEDs and a wide variety of drivers as well. Sometimes Dave even has option which aren't explicitly advertised on the site which will work best with what you are desiring.

I see a lot of mentions of some of the seriously bright drop-ins which will a) not work well on primaries, b) overdrive most primaries, c) not work well in a plastic light and d) not have practical runtime.

Keep in mind the OP request of "giving it to my dad". I wouldn't give my dad anything more complicated to operate than a 2D flashlight. I would say a 3-level XP-G driven lightly at around 1A max would work well and keep the heat down but the lumens over 200.

Tally-ho

Banned
Nothing different with the parts but its the service that is perfect for you. He's a person who will explain to you what you're buying and do his best to ensure the product you select is the one you want.
I'm probably the exception to this rule because I sent several messages to know the price of his high CRI module and have additional info about it, believe it or not i still don't know the price. :D

I never had any problem to purchase anywhere else.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tally-Ho - I'm sorry to hear of your experience. I've always found him to be very communicable both within the Sales thread and on PM.

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tally-Ho, try again :)
(I'm not shilling: my only connection is that he's a great cpf'er I've been privileged to have some conversations with.)
Usually simple direct questions get simple direct answers. Products are often in the mail the same day. Customer Service really is his distinction.

flashfiend

Enlightened
What makes the nailbender P60 the brightest?:shrug:

The OP wanted brightest while being cost sensitive and nailbender fits that profile best. Now that I know OPs budget is up to $50, I can recommend the anto module as well but I think Dave will deliver faster and provide more LED tint and driver choices. Tally-ho stop chasing a bad experience. Your experience is more the exception than the rule. Dave does not necessarily always come across as candy and rainbows but he usually gives good service

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tally-Ho, try again :)
(I'm not shilling: my only connection is that he's a great cpf'er I've been privileged to have some conversations with.)
Usually simple direct questions get simple direct answers. Products are often in the mail the same day. Customer Service really is his distinction.

Shilling? It's not like you are linking to his products. And, if recommending a particular product made by a particular person because you had a good experience with them, then the definition of shilling needs to be re-defined for this site.

I feel like since that announcement came out everyone is on pins and needles talking about recommending any product in any thread when sharing ideas and recommending products is part of what the forum is about.

I've had good experience with Nailbender. I've also had great experience with others and their drop-ins, but for the purposes of what the OP wants I think NB has enough variety to find something to fit his need.