Fenix PD20-R2 Vs. Quark mini 123

Qmotion SIS

Newly Enlightened
I almost ordered the Fenix PD20-R2 looking for a compact but powerful one cell CR123A light for my key chain. I was told that the Quark Mini 123 has the CREE R5 led which is suppose to be brighter and more effiencient than the CREE R2. So I cancelled the Fenix light order. Now I'm hearing that I should have stayed with the Fenix light because it's a better build quality. Supposedly others have had problems with the threads on the Quark flashlights being loose.

The question is what's the better light and why?

Last edited:

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
I almost ordered the Fenix PD20-R2 looking for a compact but powerful one cell CR123A light for my key chain. I was told that the Quark Mini 123 has the CREE R5 led which is suppose to be brighter and more effiencient than the CREE R2. So I cancelled the Fenix light order. Now I'm hearing that I should have stayed with the Fenix light because it's a better build quality. Supposedly others have had problems with the threads on the Quark flashlights being loose.

Prioritize on UI with your EDC. You'll want to be able to get the light level you want when you want it. The MiNi123 has a lower 'low' mode, but were you looking for a pretty good 1x123 light?

http://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=297_306&products_id=1652

If you're willing to spend $60, consider the Quark 123. That gives you moonlight mode, which is far more useful than you'd think. The build quality of that is rather better (since it costs twice what the MiNi does). My Quark 2AA gave me one problem when I took it swimming for a few hours, but that was easily corrected.

The tactical interface gives you two immediately-accessible modes, and takes about 15 seconds to set each of those modes. The 'normal' interface involves clicking to the brightness you want. The 'preflash' mentioned occasionally isn't a huge problem for most people. The few extra lumens on 'max' aren't too helpful, but the moonlight mode is great.

People tell me that Fenix has a slightly higher build quality than Quark, but they mainly comment on small things like the anodizing texture. Anyway, take a look at that since you were willing to put in $60. Remember the CPF8 discount at 4sevens.

Qmotion SIS

Newly Enlightened
The light is only going to be a pocket light on my key chain. I like the idea that the 123 mini is almost an inch shorter. O also like the idea that the 123 mini was 1/3 cheaper. I think the 3 lumen setting on the 123 mini would work for me as a minimal need for light. That moon light wetting to me would be almost like not having any light.

Due to the smaller size the 123 mini would be preferable as long as there are no serious build issues that would make the light not work. I have a bunch of keys that will all ready be on the ring so size kinda matters and the light will probably get scratched up.

I already have a Eagletac T20C MkII, P100C2 and a Solarforce 2L-R2. The T20C I keep on my weapon. The P100C I keep in my glove box. The Solarforce I keep in my night stand. So I just wanted a nice light in my pocket.

paulr

Flashaholic

CPF's motto is of course "buy both". Did you get the Mini 123? If you like it, what are you worrying about?

Yes some of them do have loose threads. Mine has them, it's a little bit annoying but not the end of the world. Mine is one of the earlier ones and I think they may have straightened out the problem in later production.

IMO any 123 light is too big for a keychain and even an AAA light is larger than ideal. The full sized Quark 123 (not the mini) is WAY too big for a keychain. The Mini might be ok if you like bigger stuff on your keys than I do.

As for the UI, I think the PD20 and the Quark Mini are both too complicated (I don't actually have a PD20 but had a similar L1D for a while). I think the PD20 is also a bit bigger. I have several Fenix lights that I do think are better built than the Quark Mini, but they also cost more.

If you get either of these lights and don't like it, you can sell it on BST for about $5 less than you paid for it, so it's a cheap enough "rental".

Qmotion SIS

Newly Enlightened
I cancelled the order for the Fenix and was about to order the Quark when I heard about the threads being lose on the 123 mini. I'm not worried about the modes and such. It will just be available light when I need it. I did want it to have a decent throw incase I would have to use it tactically. If it's just the threads being loose I wouldn't even mind adding a wrap of plastic plumber's tape to tighten things up a little.

I didn't actually order the 123 mini yet. I thought it might be wise to post a thread first. I'd even comsider other options if you guys know of any lights that fit what I need. My understanding is that the Quark Mini is about the brightest and the smallest light out there for a 1 cell CR123A.

Qmotion SIS

Newly Enlightened
CPF's motto is of course "buy both". Did you get the Mini 123? If you like it, what are you worrying about?

Well, I'm not as hooked on flashlights as some. I just want to make the best informed choices on flashlights I know I have a need for. Just a waste of money to have stuff laying around I don't need. I only need 1 keychain light. I actually had a light that took 3 watch batteries but it stopped working. I just thought I'd get a better one this time.

Qmotion SIS

Newly Enlightened
I actually was going to get another Eagletac. I was attempting to get a P10C but none of the dealers have them and I believe they are discontinued now. That was before I became aware of the Quarks. I do like the light output of my Eagletacs that I have now. I believe the Quarks use the same led. That's a plus to me also. I just wanted to make sure the Quarks didn't have any other serious issues.

Qmotion SIS

Newly Enlightened
I have a stash of CR123 batteries. I think the CR batteries are a little smaller. That 0.3 inches won't matter that much. I think I'll try the Quark 123mini. Then again it wasn't that bad of an idea to just get both. The lady could find it handy to have a flashlight also. Then again maybe I b=need to get 2 123minis.

Qmotion SIS

Newly Enlightened
I think I'm gonna go back to the
Ffenix PD20 and try a Nitecore EZ CR123. I prefer the clicky switch over the twisty. The Mitecore os 2.75 inches and the Fenix PD20 is about 3.09 inches. I'll just have to deal with the size.

duboost

Enlightened
I have the PD20 and Mini123 and both are way too big for keychain duty imo. As far as build quality goes, i've had no issues with either. My keychain light is a Mini CR2 ti, although it might not seem much smaller based on the specs, it's not only shorter, but a good bit thinner as well. And if you're worried about the ano getting scratched up in your pocket, look into getting one of the Ti Minis if they're still available? haven't checked in a while.

Qmotion SIS

Newly Enlightened
Ther4e is a dealer who has the PD20 with the CREE Q5 led. I think I would prefer a clicky switch so I'm gonna eliminate the Quark 123 mini. If i get a second light I'm gonna see if I can find an eagletac P10C.