Heat shrink tube on Mini 123 and P20C2

GunnarGG

Enlightened
Got some heat shrink tube today!

I put some heat tube on my Mini 123 to make it easier to my teeth if I hold it in my mouth. It does feel better when held in mouth.

My EagleTac P20C2 has a pretty smooth body and also a little to thin to get that really good grip. I have noticed that I have to hold it rather hard to prevent the light to push forward in my hand when I push the tailbutton, or at least it has felt like it was sliding forward.

I tried to put 4 o-rings on the body in the grooves and it improved grip a little bit but the o-rings tended to roll out from the groovs. So a put som heat shrink tube around it with the o-rings under the tube and this is how it looks.

It improves the grip, I don't get that "forward sliding" feeling now. :)

4999211739_6edcc1116d_z.jpg

4999814800_782b7c8aab.jpg

Tomcat!

Enlightened
Great idea. :thumbsup:
I might try that on my Fenix P1D CE's as they are so small and slippery as a bar of soap.

GunnarGG

Enlightened
Yes, it is a great idea. It's not mine though so I don't want to take credit for it.

There are several threads about this but they are several years old. I have seen it mentioned in some newer thread also (I think I have mentioned it myself also recently). It does works fine.

I actually used my mini123 today when the batteries in my daughters bikelight had to be changed and I needed both hands free. No problem to hold in the mouth.

The P20C2 has also got some use and it works great.

I don't know for how long it will last before I need to replace it but it was easily done.

Last edited:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Nice work Gunnar. Along similar lines I've used some heavy wide rubber bands left over from my lab days on the bezel end of a couple lights. They function as added protection from drops and also will hold filter disks. I'll have to try the shrink tube next. Thanks.

Geoff

^Gurthang

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gunnar,

Nice work! Your work looks very professional

BTW, if anyone looks to buy the larger diameter heat-shrink AVOID the "adhesive lined" tubing. This adhesive is great for sealing wires not good for sealing up a light. If you think silicone adhesive is hard to remove this stuff is a nightmare.

Here's a link to Mouser site listing 1" tubing, not cheap at this size.

http://www.mouser.com/Wire-Cable/Tu...?P=1z0jnsg&Keyword=heat+shrink+tubing&FS=True

GunnarGG

Enlightened
Thanks guys, glad you like heat shrink tube work.

I read somewere about the one with adhesive lining and thought it sounded good but after your warning I will stay away from it. Thanks for the warning Gurthang

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I did the HST thing on my ARC-AAA's, they turned out pretty nice IMO.

The only snag was that the ARC head doesn't have enough length to secure the rather short length of tubing and so that piece would slide during head rotation, so the HST is only on the main body.