thoughts on olight SR50

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast
well i decided to go ahead and get a SR50 despite the lack of reviews on it. so i figured id go ahead and post my thoughts on it.

output and throw- the output seems pretty good. im sure its not anywhere near the 800 lumens claimed. but my initial reaction is to say it puts out noticably more light than the M30 (which i believe is somewhere around 450 OTF and 700 emitter lumens). over the next couple days i will probably put fresh cells in them both and do a ceiling bounce compairison). on low, which is stated at 200 lumens, the SR50 is compairable to my M20 R2 edition, with a nearly identical hotspot at 20 feet. so basically i would call the beam of the SR50 as that of the M20, with more output than the M30.

quality- we have some square thread action going on, which is allways a plus, but the threads are also smooth without any grinding until you get to the last couple twists which i believe is case by the battery carrier's connection point. however, i have some durablitly doubts when it comes to the battery tube and the battery carrier. seems to be way too much plastic. and once you take the handle off, you see just how thin the aluminum walls are. id say the handle weighs not much more than an empty soda can, and thats with it having a little more heft at the base of it. i hope the SR90's battery pack walls are a bit thicker, because i dont see a light of that size and weight surviving a good drop.

other stuff- the SR50 with its stubby size and large flat butt is perfect for tailstanding. also it would have been nice if olight would have designed the head to be compatible with the SR90 and 91's battery pack. also, i dont think the case is a must for this item. i would have rather saved a few bucks and not gotten the case, but thats just me.

in conclusion im rather pleased with this light, allthough its a bit over priced. cant wait for it to start getting dark earlier...