Modding old KL1 - Cree XR-E :)

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picked up a couple of Cree XR-E stars and I'm going to take the knife to my pair of 3rd-gen KL1s (the ones with fins) soon :D

I've upgraded one to a RX0H Lux1 before, so I am sorta kinda familiar with the guts, one would imagine. I don't intend to touch the driver boards, because I really like the original KL1's circuitry. I do intend to chop the star down to size, then hook up the Cree at 350mA. This will preserve the KL1's already stellar battery life. I have other lights where we chase the lumens - this won't be one of them ;)

I just need to check if anybody is familiar with this reflector:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.14598

A quick look at the Luxeon NX-05 optic datasheets indicates that the NX05 is nominally 19.7mm so this part should fit. Am I missing anything before I push the button and order some?

Also, just to confirm, I assume the Cree's are electrically isolated from their bases? We had some problems frying Luxeons in the past due to current leakage thru the bases and while I can't find any info on this phenomenon, it would be good if anybody could confirm that this issue can be consigned to the trash bin of history :D

Last edited:

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Modding KL1 - use DX 18.5mm reflectors for Crees

Surprise surprise, the NX05 fits the Cree, and the star needs no chopping. Hmm, this might even be slightly easier than I assumed.. :)

I'm not necessarily counting on a nice beam from the NX05 though, just that it physically fits the Cree.

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast

A Seoul emitter is probly easier and gives a great beam.

Hack On Wheels

Enlightened

A Seoul emitter is probly easier and gives a great beam.

Bingo! I'd have to recommend a Seoul... preferably high-CRI. :thumbsup:

That's what I'm planning to do with mine anyways, just need to get some de-soldering wire so I can do a tidy job swapping emitters.

For what it's worth though... there is nothing wrong with those reflectors; from my memory, they actually give a fairly nice beam.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congratulate me, I've done what's probably the ugliest KL1s mod in a long time.. :ohgeez: I did both my KL1-HA and KL1-SG (satin gray - yup, they are rare but they exist). No pics because it is embarassing!! :eek:

I estimated incorrectly, the star needed to be chopped to size to fit. The wires kept getting in the way. The thermal grease seemed to have a life of its own, escaping everywhere. Desoldering was far harder than I imagined. I can't seem to get it flush against its heatsink. Hey, this is supposed to be a simple emitter swap!

The only good news is that yeah I have light, lots of it, it's freakishly bright (for a KL1). Probably 70 lumens OTF. The E1B is slightly brighter.

I even got two different Crees - one of them is slightly warm, the other one is slightly cool. Oddly, just like when I upgraded my KL1-SG before with RX0H Lux1 emitter, the Cree in the KL1-SG is cooler. Coincidence, or is it the internal coloring of the head reflecting back some color?

I'm still on the NX-05 optics and the beam as expected is horrible. Donut hole in the center, teardrop lobe extending off in one direction, looks like it's time for me to hit DX for reflectors again.

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Was looking for others who've updated their KL1 heads for additional ideas now. I did this mod about a year ago. Picked up some Seoul P4's and Cree XP-G's. The boards on the Cree I wasn't in the mood to machine the head to fit, I went simple with the Seoul swap since it drops in.

kl12.jpg

kl13.jpg

kl15.jpg

Somewhere about 70 lumen out the front as known conservatively speaking. Compared to the old Luxeon, this is a nice bump in output. Not bright like other modern lights but very usable with the prior reflector mod in place, nice corona and modest hot spot. Now that I crave a bit more output, the Cree is in mind.

Latest posts