need help with my surefire e2d led - beam problem

nathan225

Newly Enlightened
I bought a surefire e2d led defender today when I got home and turned it on I noticed there is much more light on one side of the hotspot than the other is this normal or is something wrong with my light thanks for any help

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: need help with my surefire e2d led

I bought a surefire e2d led defender today when I got home and turned it on I noticed there is much more light on one side of the hotspot than the other is this normal or is something wrong with my light thanks for any help

Hard to say for sure without any beamshots or seeing the light in person. However, apparently there seems to be similar issues mentioned here with other surefire lights using the TIR optic. There are several reports here of what your describing. I believe what you're experiencing may have to do with the TIR optic not being perfectly alligned, thus creating an inperfect hotspot. If your not happy I suggest returning the light or explaining the situation to surefire and having them fix it.

nathan225

Newly Enlightened

thanks for the help. I tried out two different ones at the store but both where the same way

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast

thanks for the help. I tried out two different ones at the store but both where the same way

Wow, 2 different ones with the same issue, from the same store, that's odd. I can only suggest trying another or turn the light over to surefire for them to fix, the latter will take a few weeks though:thumbsdow

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast

Is the led or reflector off kilter? Try taking the head off and put it back on?

nathan225

Newly Enlightened

Wow, 2 different ones with the same issue, from the same store, that's odd. I can only suggest trying another or turn the light over to surefire for them to fix, the latter will take a few weeks though:thumbsdow
I think I will use it the way it is I took it outside tonight and it is much less noticeble at longer rage. and it still makes a very good light. thanks very much for the help

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast

It's just out of focus slightly. Sometimes with TIR lights it can be off center.

My LX2 was so off it had a shadow in the hotspot. With a TIR there is basically just a hotspot.

I wrapped the bezel in a rag and put it in a vice and took a channel lock to it to break the loctite. I re focused it to perfection and plan to re loctite it so it wont move. Haven't gotten around to that.

lewong

Newly Enlightened

I just bought a KX2 head and took it apart to put a XR-E R2 LED in it. From your description, it sounds like the LED isn't perfectly centered. The way the TIR optic is mounted, it's unlikely the optic is out of alignment.

I reflowed soldered the new LED on the stock board and when I put it back together, the beam was as you describe. The LED board is held to the head with two hex screws and adhesive, so it really seems unlikely that it would move on its own – that is, it sounds like the LED wasn't centered perfectly in manufacturing. I centered the LED and now the hotspot is perfect. With the glue removed from the front part of the head that holds the optic, I was also able to get the best focus. Of course I know I was voiding the warranty as soon as I pointed the heat gun at the head.

I agree with ebow86 – call Surefire and talk to them about it if it bothers you.

5003699238_24b1b264fc_z.jpg

Last edited:

fourtyounce48

Newly Enlightened
Surefire E2D led beam problem

I just bought a Surefire E2D Led Defender. When I turned it on I noticed the beam wasn't a perfectly round circle. I check out some review on youtube and every Surefire E2D Led Defender review had a perfectly round spotlight beam. Should I return my flashlight to Surefire or is this normal?

fourtyounce48

Newly Enlightened

I just bought a KX2 head and took it apart to put a XR-E R2 LED in it. From your description, it sounds like the LED isn't perfectly centered. The way the TIR optic is mounted, it's unlikely the optic is out of alignment.

I reflowed soldered the new LED on the stock board and when I put it back together, the beam was as you describe. The LED board is held to the head with two hex screws and adhesive, so it really seems unlikely that it would move on its own – that is, it sounds like the LED wasn't centered perfectly in manufacturing. I centered the LED and now the hotspot is perfect. With the glue removed from the front part of the head that holds the optic, I was also able to get the best focus. Of course I know I was voiding the warranty as soon as I pointed the heat gun at the head.

I agree with ebow86 – call Surefire and talk to them about it if it bothers you.

5003699238_24b1b264fc_z.jpg

I'm having the same problem with my defender. The beam isnt a perfect circle. Is this normal?

Belstaff1464

Enlightened
Re: Surefire E2D led beam problem

I don't think that's normal. Sounds like the LED isn't correctly aligned. I'd send it back. :thumbsdow

Kestrel

Flashaholic

I just bought a Surefire E2D Led Defender. When I turned it on I noticed the beam wasn't a perfectly round circle. I check out some review on youtube and every Surefire E2D Led Defender review had a perfectly round spotlight beam. Should I return my flashlight to Surefire or is this normal?
fourtyounce48, :welcome:
You've also posted this inquiry in another thread (i.e. cross-posting). I'll merge this thread of yours with the existing thread.

nathan225

Newly Enlightened

mine has the same problem. I went back to the store where I bought it and tried a differt one but it had the same problem so I just kept the one I had I have just got used to mine