Removed the glass dome on my SST90 Mag

bkumanski

Enlightened
Well, I got up the nerve and removed the glass dome from my Nailbender SST90 Mag. I have read various threads on "accidental" removals resulting in decreased lumens but an increase in throw. I must confirm one thing: throw was much improved!:devil: I don't have a way to measure lumens or lux, but relatively I can state the hotspot (SMO aluminum KD reflector) is twice as small (focused) and much brighter (not sure by how much). Overall spill seems to remain the same. It almost seemed like the hotspot was simply concentrated into a tighter beam. Very few and faint rings and the 8 pointed star pattern usually seen with a smo reflector is greatly minimized as the beam can be focused very tight.

The SST90 seems to have a thin coating on the die, so I'm not really worried about it being exposed (its sealed in the head anyway). The dome came cleanly off as it appears to onle be glued on the outer edge, leaving a clean center. The removal really lets the light broadcast outward, likely causing it to be concentrated better by the reflector. I know many are reluctant to try this intentionally, but I must say I have been impressed. Time will tell if this affects the overall life of the light, but I doubt it. For anyone brave enough to try, it is a worthwhile mod IMO, especially if you like the brightness and overall spill of the SST90, but want a better throwing hotspot. :thumbsup:

*note* I can not vouch for the succes of this in anything other than a mag, as reflectors are different, but I am assuming there would be similar, but maybe not as dramatic, results.