Colonoscopy, Why YOU should have ONE

Status
Not open for further replies.

TOB9595

Enlightened
2 dogs post on his physical has inspired me to share with this grope errr group.

2 Years ago I changed doctors. My primary was with me for 26 years. The longest non family relation I had /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
He was not being as sharp as he once was, I was 49 and wanted a complete baseline on my health.
I found a crackerjack Doc and among other tests he said go have a colonoscopy. No sweat I went.
Most folk wrinkle their nose and delay this "unpleasant" exam.
(the exam is a piece of cake, you won't feel a thing; really)
November 29 I had the colonoscopy December 11 I had 12 inches of colon removed. The Doc couldn't get the tube into me I was so closed up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Cancer was found on the microscopic level in x number of nodes.
I had ZERO symptoms, no blood in the stool, no markers in my bloodwork, NOTHING to indicate a problem. I was the picture of health.
Well the surgery was a piece of cake /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Out in a week, Weak as a pup.
Out of work for a while. Chemotherapy was recommended as a preventive measure.
No sweat. I started chemo 2 months after surgery. For the first two weeks NO bad reactions. Yippee!!
My Chemo guy was going on a golf vacation. I go back to work and the Friday before I go out for a normal meal with a beautiful Lady. Before the meal is over I need to go home as I feel a little queezy (sp) queasy, Diarrhea takes over. I think it's the meal as I was eating Most healthy, tofu, greens, etc. before this meal.
I go to work and it gets worse and worse, I call the doc 3 times in one week and he doubles and triples and doubles again Imodium. He's focused on his golf vacation not me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Well by Friday I'm almost in a coma from dehydration.
I'm admitted to the hospital where I don't urinate for 5 days. Pumped full of fluids and not peeing is pretty darn dehydrated I now know. 11 days after admission I get out.
Then start chemo all over again. Different doc.
All is well, no cancer.
THANK GOD and I do.

The message I want to give is to have a colonoscopy if you have a history in the family or your Doc says to.

It saved my life. I wouldn't have had one for, maybe three more years. The cancer would have been VERY bad then.

I also want to send loud and clear that YOU are in control of your health.
Doctors are like anyone else some great, most mediocre at best.

Healthy, cancer free and lovin life /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Tom
PS I stopped chemo early because I knew that eating healthy and livin strong would do me better than this poison.
Tho it does have a place in treatments.

jtice

Flashaholic
TOB,
good to hear you are in tip top shape now ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Im only 23, so I guess I have a few more years before I have to really worry about such things.

Im not much for doctors. I feel most like to do stuff to make $, not make sure you are healthy.

Im one of those ppl that never goto the doctor unless something is horribly wrong.

That will probably be the death of me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

TOB9595

Enlightened
At 23 there's no sweat tho my kids need to have colonoscopies at ~ 35 years old. There's a lot to genetic predisposition.
If I cought this a year or two earlier IT may have been handled in the office /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I never had so encompassing a physical as the one I had coupled with the colonoscopy.
Before that I was indestructible /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Tom

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
jtice said:
Im one of those ppl that never goto the doctor unless something is horribly wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then it's too late /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

-Jason

2dogs

Enlightened
Wow, I'm glad you're OK. Mine is in December BTW. I had one 5 years ago. That was the first time a doc went boldly where none had gone before. When it was over he told me to get off the table and head to the toilet which was about a 4 foot walk. It was all I could do to hold myself together.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I'm 48 (49 in November)...had the "scope" about 7 years ago - found a polyp, burned it off with the "gizmo" during the test. Should have had a followup 2 years ago, started a physical today and the "followup" will be scheduled.

BTW, colon cancer runs in my family. One of the most preventable forms of cancer that there is "IF IT IS DISCOVERED"!!

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
RE Colonoscopy,
Had my first done at 35, due to bleeding - Not cancer - nasty hemoroids (sp?), so I won't GET a warning. I'm due for another in the spring. Hey, better than dieing from it as my grandfather did

Folks, the prep for it is worse than the actual 'scope' - your mostly out, so you don't feel much

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tom, congrats on your health and the timing of your exam! I'm glad to hear you're well!

Also, on the subject of Chemo, as you discovered it's unpleasant, but the movies and media tend to still portray it as it was in the 70's. Except for some very serious situations it's no longer true that the treatment is worse than the disease. We've come a long way since then. A prescription for chemo is not a death sentence anymore and it will probably only be a temporary and relatively minor hiccup in your life, which will continue!

Oh, and I'll echo the sentiment, that if you feel your doctor is not doing a good job for you get another one. No hard feelings, this is your life they are taking care of! I've known some truly brilliant and wonderful doctors and I've seen some I wouldn't let pump gas in my car, much less examine me in any way /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Don't get anything drastic done without getting a second opinion!

Blikbok

Enlightened
jtice:

I had my first sigmoidoscopy at 22. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif It was uncomfortable for me as a young man. They've got to go in beyond the colon and make a sharp turn. I received a clean bill of health. I recommend you check with your family history, and if there is any history of trouble "South of the Border", speak to a doctor.

I was not fortunate enough to avoid the preliminary symptoms which led to further...intrusive...investigation. But with a dietary change and awareness of my family's tendency towards...problems...I could start to take care of myself. Best part was the new diet almost completely eliminated my previous problems with my intestine which caused some social embarassment. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif And I've been steadily slimming down, sleeping better, and feeling more alive.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
[ QUOTE ]
geepondy said:
I'm 40. No history that I'm aware of. Should I have one?

[/ QUOTE ]
--------------------
Depends on family history and/or if you have any symptoms "that something isn't right". I'll not get into symptoms, they are readily available on the internet. Though some of us have experience with this test, as well as actual colon cancer that runs in the family...we are but a bunch of "Flashaholics"...your doctor should be your advisor! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
i had one in 2015, was told to come back in 10 years.

1. 4.3% risk in men
2. 3rd most deadly cancer
3. Utter non-event to do, aside from an evening of diarrhea
4. Many insurance plans cover it. Self pay is less than $1300 if you use any of the many programs developed to improve access to colonoscopies in the US. No financial qualification required, other than agreeing to self-pay.

Had my first one, self-pay, about 2 months ago. One of the easiest things I ever did.

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't call the prep a "non-event". I had to do it twice so a doc and a surgeon could nose around that area. Going through those experiences is definitely why I'm putting mine off (almost 50).
A friend of mine had 3-day preps, I had basically 1-day. I don't know if any docs still are asking the 3-day of anyone, but I'd look for a different doc if they did. Fasting for one day is pretty uncomfortable. I can't imagine three.

Poppy

Flashaholic
@ 66 y/o, no symptoms, never had a colonoscopy: my doctor recommended:

Essentially poop in a bucket, and mail it out.
If it comes back negative, do it again next year.
If positive, THEN get a colonoscopy.

Mine came back positive, did the clean out routine, and had the colonoscopy done. The doctor found polyps, and removed them. My understanding... that is curative. He wants me back in three years. If there were no polyps, I think it would be ten years.

As mentioned above, the actual procedure, is not big deal at all, cleaning out the colon, and not getting a good night's sleep is the worst part (can't sleep because you don't want to SH** the bed). I was VERY fortunate that my procedure was first thing in the morning. I didn't have to wait all day for it on an empty hungry stomach.

Last edited:

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll probably go for the cologuard (ha) at some point. IMHO, the cleanout is a somewhat big deal. To me, to some. Psychology and physiology vary a lot.
I also didn't appreciate the sigmoidoscopy (with no sedation) doc saying "you can return to work after an hour (of recovering from the procedure)". No... no I couldn't. Wasn't a good doc in any other respects, either, so not much of a surprise.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Think of it like maintenance to your flashlights. Now and then you need to keep threads lubed, especially at the tail end, and make sure the main tube is free from flaws

Kidding aside, I had a family member die from colon cancer. Family history plays a big role in whether or not a person can develop cancerous polyps. I am scheduled every three years.

For me I kinda like the cleaned out welterweight feeling🤪

Death by colon cancer is totally avoidable!

I wouldn't call the prep a "non-event". I had to do it twice so a doc and a surgeon could nose around that area. Going through those experiences is definitely why I'm putting mine off (almost 50).
A friend of mine had 3-day preps, I had basically 1-day. I don't know if any docs still are asking the 3-day of anyone, but I'd look for a different doc if they did. Fasting for one day is pretty uncomfortable. I can't imagine three.
Ah. I fast daily and don't eat many carbs and no sweets. Going without food is a non-event since I adopted this routine I literally don't experience the knawing hunger that I used to. And the one-day clean out was basically 10 trips to the bathroom. Definitely understand that diarrhea is a different experience for some. For me, meh.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.