A shaft of gold when all around is dark

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
I don't know what brought that to mind but I thought it would strike a resonance with many on the forum.
Unfortunately it does have an unpleasant connotation. I'll send a prize to the first person who can identify the negative connotation.
I'll also ask two bonus questions.
NO GOOGLING /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
15 views and no guesses--
A (sort of) hint

I would like to apologize for the way in which politicians are represented on this site. It was never my intention to imply that politicians are weak-kneed, political time-servers who are concerned more with their personal vendettas and private power struggles than the problems of government, nor to suggest at any point that they sacrifice their credibility by denying free debate on vital matters in the mistaken impression that party unity comes before the well-being of the people that they supposedly represent, nor to imply at any stage that they are squabbling little toadies without an ounce of concern for the vital social problems of today. Nor indeed do I intend that visitors to this site should consider them as crabby ulcerous little self-seeking vermin with furry legs and an excessive addiction to alcohol and certain explicit sexual practices which some people might find offensive. I am sorry if this impression has come across.

lhz

Newly Enlightened
Something someone said to the prince of wales? (by monty python) involving bat pee.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I can think of several politicians you can apply this phrase to.

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your in
Sorry couldn't resist
OK for bonus
What was unusual (physicaly) about one of Monty Python's recordings?
And can you name one of the other comparisons?

I'll need your mailing address, I'll have to make sure that I put something good to go 1/2 way around the world.
Any requests? Low budget ones /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
For those unfamiliar and don't want to be with MP-
Here is the first part of the sketch--

London 1895... The residence of Mr Oscar Wilde

(In WILDE's drawing room. A crowd of suitably dressed folk are engaged in typically brilliant conversation, laughing affectedly and drinking champagne)

PRINCE OF WALES: My congratulations, Wilde. You latest play is a great success. The whole of London's talking about you.
OSCAR: There is only one thing in the world worse than being talked about, and that it not being talked about.
(There follows fifteen seconds of restrained and sycophantic laughter)
PRINCE: Very very witty... very very witty.
WHISTLER: There's only one thing in the world worse than being witty and that is not being witty.
(Fifteen seconds more of the same)
OSCAR: I wish I had said that.
Whistler: You will, Oscar, you will.
(More laughter)
OSCAR: Your majesty, have you met James McNeill Whistler?
PRINCE: Yes, we've played squash together.
OSCAR: There is only one thing worse than playing squash together, and that is playing it by yourself.
(Silence)
I wish I hadn't said that.
WHISTLER: You did, Oscar, you did.
(A little laughter)
PRINCE: I've got to get back up the palace.

lhz

Newly Enlightened
Your Majesty is like a dose of clap:

Your Majesty is like a dose of clap:
Before you arrive -- before you arrive is pleasure, and after is a pain in the dong. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

They had some sort of 3-sided record, a second groove was cut into side 2 of the album(so you had to move the needle to choose either the 2nd or 3rd 'side'). Damned if I can remember the title of that LP though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I got into monty python after buying a set of 1/6th scale action figures based on monty phyton and the holy grail. I liked the knight outfits. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Since then, I've read plenty of their transcripts on the net. My other favourite brit comedy/satire is the Black Adder series.

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Your Majesty is like a dose of clap:

Your Majesty is like a stream of bat's ****.

Your majesty is like a great jam donut with cream on the top.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BlackAdder Rules!!!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

lhz

Newly Enlightened

For entertainment, here's some memorable Black Adder (4th series, set in the Great War) quotes(I'm typing from memory here, so I'll probably get a few words wrong) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

"Your brain is so minute,Baldrick, that if a hungry cannibal were to crack your head open he would not find enough to to fill a water biscuit"
Capt Edmund Blackadder to Pvt Baldrick

"There are amoeba on Saturn that can boil a better egg than you"
Capt Edmund Blackadder commenting on Pvt Baldrick's cooking.

"It was bollocks"
Capt Edmund Blackadder explaining to Pvt Baldrick why they were at war(WW1) despite the plan for there to be 2 large opposing armies acting as a deterrent to each other.

"If I should die, think only this of me; I'll be back to get you!"
Capt Blackadder to Pvt Baldrick and Lt George before leaving to face the music for shooting and eating the General's pigeon.

"...a war that would be a great deal simpler if we simply stayed at home and shot 50,000 of our men per week"
Capt Blackadder grousing about the war.

"His resignation and suicide...."
Capt Blackadder upon being asked what Field Marshal Hayes could do to increase the morale of the men.

"..the greatest work of fiction since vows of fidelity were included in the French wedding service"
Capt Blackadder's comments on King & Countrymen, the army magazine.

"I will not have anyone staring in disbelief at MY willy suspension!"
Capt Blackadder responding to Lt George's suggestion(willing the suspension of disbelief) that he pose for a painting naked.

"...their operas last for days, they have no word for 'fluffy'..."
In a german prison cell, Capt Blackadder explains why their stay is likely to be an unpleasant one.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

e=mc²

Enlightened
NJ - Land of malodorous \"earl\" refineries!

I had that 3 sided album. I think it was called something like "Matching Tie and Handkerchief" or "Matching Handkerchief and Tie" something involving those two items.... Great album as I recall.

Ed