possible replacement for ldo series driver

gt40

Enlightened
I have had mixed results with my ldo10c drivers I have been using. They are sensitive to frying during the soldering process and I have had 2 now not work because they didn't survive a second soldering effort. I recently found this driver from power-one:

http://www.power-one.com/resources/products/datasheet/zy8110.pdf

-8V to 14V Input 0.5V to 5.5V Output and SIP formfactor
-Overcurrent, overvoltage, undervoltage, and
overtemperature protections with programmable

thresholds and types

If I am reading the data sheet right, it looks like it is programmable constant current with temp compensation built in.

Size is 1.2" x .84" x .25" fyi.

Any feed back or alt driver candidates would be appreciated. Looks like a good candidate for high output lights where you can handle the form factor.

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's quite a piece of kit! You'll need the other part to program it, of course. You've considered this? I didn't see that the programming is retained in the unit when the power is removed, but I didn't look very hard. That would be pretty important.

It looks like it should work pretty well, and Power-One is pretty reliable source. You just have to set the Undervoltage Protection threshold below the LED voltage, so it will stay in current limit instead of shutting down.

D

gt40

Enlightened
That's quite a piece of kit! You'll need the other part to program it, of course. You've considered this? I didn't see that the programming is retained in the unit when the power is removed, but I didn't look very hard. That would be pretty important.

It looks like it should work pretty well, and Power-One is pretty reliable source. You just have to set the Undervoltage Protection threshold below the LED voltage, so it will stay in current limit instead of shutting down.

D

I barely know enough to be dangerous :p FYi, If you have another batch of drivers available I am good for a few.

MikeAusC

Enlightened
Like all the others, this is a Constant-Voltage supply with overcurrent limiting.

You can't run it off two LiIons because the minimum input is 8 volts.

With no fan cooling, it can only provide 10 amps up to 45 deg C if operating at 0.5MHz. If operating at 1MHz it can only put out 8 amps at 45 deg C with 12 volts input.

But the programming requirement would put me off from using them.

gt40

Enlightened
I went ahead and got 2 lineage power naos raptor drivers. It seems well built and less fragile than the ldo10c. I hooked it up and it worked with the same 510 ohm + thermister combo with a 100 ohm trimmer I used with the ldo10c.

Using the trimmer, I adjusted the amps up and it ran stable at 12 amps on the sst90. Significantly, it handled this with the heat sink unmounted in the light so no head or body to help sink the heat. It was a short 2 minute test and the heatsink was too hot to touch after couple of minutes but no blue led. Doing the same with the ldo previously, it would flicker at 11 amp range till I mounted it in the body.

I am making a new light with this running sst90 top bin, this driver and a 75mm dx aspheric in a homemade host with my magnetic ring switch design. Should have the light done this weekend but all and all, very happy with the new driver as a replacement for the ldo10c. You adjust the voltage out you want with the trimmer to set max amps using a clamp meter and it kept the voltage dead stable unlike the ldo which would show some variation on vf.

Here is the link to the Lineage Power Naos Raptor:

http://www.datasheet-found.com/Datasheet.jsp?pn=NSR010A0X4Z

It is a good substitute and in stock at mouser unlike the ldo which seems to be out of stock everywhere.

FYI, I tested it with 2 26650's and with 3 and it outputed the same voltage in both cases although it couldn't run as much amps using 3 batteries/12.6v

Last edited:

gt40

Enlightened
I got the driver in my new 75mm aspheric sst90 light working. Runs nice and stable at 10+ amps and if I turn down the trimmer, it runs good at 2 amps. That got me thinking: these new raptor converters are a lot slimmer profile so I could run two with 2 reed switches to turn them off and then I would have a hi and low mode with my magnetic switch. Ordering some more... With the lack of drivers out there, this allows you to reliably run an sst90 at full power.