Proton Pro still a good light?

Slasher42

Newly Enlightened
Title basically says it all.

Is the Proton Pro still a good light?
I'm looking for a light that does red and white light for hunting deer season coming up. Less I have to carry on the long walk to the stand the better.

I'm new to this forum but quickly becoming addicted to reading about lights and admiring everyone's collections. Hope to be picking up a couple lights myself soon. I am really looking at getting the Proton Pro and the Mag XL100. And getting AA and AAA Eneloops + Charger as my first 2 flashlights and to power them.

Opinions please?
Thanks

Point Source

Newly Enlightened
Wow, nobody has responded?

Sure, the Proton Pro is still a good light. As far as I know, it is still the only light that offers the white/red led combination in one 1xAA light. It also utilized a very unique and well thought out user interface.

The only thing it has against it (as far as I know, anyway) is that it still uses a Cree XR-E emitter, which some may consider outdated. An older Q5 XR-E is still plenty adequate, however.

I'd say get the Proton Pro. It's a useful and unique light, and I think the user interface may be just what you're looking for. I suspect there may be others who come along and recommend the use of color filters on any light you choose, and that's certainly an option to consider as well.

Dan FO

Enlightened
Red filters do not wok well on LEDs. For what you wan the Proton Pro is a fine light and the clip is perfect. I like mine very much.

Chadder

Enlightened
I still use my Proton Pro a ton. I have it hooked to my work keys that hang around my neck 5 days a week. I actually just got it back from LRI. The rubber switch wore out and I sent it in to get it replaced. The customer service at LRI is absolutely amazing!!!!!!!! I would definately recommend!

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the 2007 version, the one with the Cree LED.

The problem with the Proton Pro is the very low efficiency of the LED, which has not been updated since it was first marketed. With the same drive current, a recent XP-G produces more than double of the lumens.
I love the user interface of the Proton Pro. Should LRI upgrade the LED, I would certainly buy more of them.
If you need the red LED feature of the Proton Pro, then go for it. Otherwise, there are better choices for the same price.

Regards

Anthony

Last edited:

Moonshadow

Enlightened
I'd agree with this. I still have mine and like it a lot, but the LED really needs an update now.

Another thing that could be improved is that the dimming is achieved by means of PWM, and would really benefit from an increase in the frequency to make it less visible.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a Cree version Proton Pro and gave it away. The overall construction and pocket clip were great, as was the slim profile of the battery tube.

However, the light was yellow and too ringy -- a distraction for indoor usage.

Also, it started on high and took too long to ramp down to the mid level which is my most common use. I didn't need the fancy features, though they were fun at playtime. :)

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF, Slasher. I still consider it good, but also agree with what everyone has said. The main beam isn't the smoothest, but the hotspot is strong so throw is decent. Don't expect much range with the red, but it still will light things up out to about twenty feet. Excellent clip and UI, if you don't mind that main beam starting on high. Another plus is the secret 3 min. shutdown, if you want it.

Geoff

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll chime in with everyone to say the Proton Pro is a nice light - the sort that you wish you had more of than just one.

Only a few other lights I can think of that do red and white:
Surefire Aviator A2
Ra Twisty 85tr ( No longer manufactured and go quickly on BST )
Streamlight Sidewinder - also does other colours
Firstlight Tomahawk MC
Quark RGB

There are more but all these are CR123A not AA or AAA ( There used to be a 2AA version of the Sidewinder, but I don't know if you can still get it.)

Also there are various Headlamps that have white and red.

But for the size, versatility, and variable output the Proton Pro is my Fave in 1AA form.

Absolutely go for it.

Don't know about the Maglight.

Slasher42

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the input...
I went ahead and ordered the Proton Pro, Mag XL100 and some AA and AAA eneloops with charger tonight

I liked the Quark RGB but its about 2x the cost of the Proton Pro and I dont think I would use all the colors that much... lol

Now I play the waiting game on my items to ship and arrive! LOL

ama230

Enlightened
Thanks for the input...
I went ahead and ordered the Proton Pro, Mag XL100 and some AA and AAA eneloops with charger tonight

I liked the Quark RGB but its about 2x the cost of the Proton Pro and I dont think I would use all the colors that much... lol

Now I play the waiting game on my items to ship and arrive! LOL

Great combo as I absolutely love mine and what charger did you get?

Where did you get the batteries and awesome lights.

They both have great runtimes on eneloops and the ui of both is worth every penny. Then also the warranties on both are great and they are my favorites in my collection.

I also had to order the old photon proton as it had 6 nichia ds's instead of the one cree as I love nichia and the light.

The only mod i did to my xl100 was put in lsd's and then put glow paint around the emitter for use at night. Dont use a holster as i just have the 2aa anti roll rubber thingy. Also lubed up both lights as you cant be too sure..

YOu are going to 100% love everything you got and the batteries will pay for themselves in the first year and the lights will last a very long time.

If i could recommend any two it would be these...:twothumbs

Boss Hogg

Newly Enlightened
Great combo as I absolutely love mine and what charger did you get?

Where did you get the batteries and awesome lights.

They both have great runtimes on eneloops and the ui of both is worth every penny. Then also the warranties on both are great and they are my favorites in my collection.

I also had to order the old photon proton as it had 6 nichia ds's instead of the one cree as I love nichia and the light.

The only mod i did to my xl100 was put in lsd's and then put glow paint around the emitter for use at night. Dont use a holster as i just have the 2aa anti roll rubber thingy. Also lubed up both lights as you cant be too sure..

YOu are going to 100% love everything you got and the batteries will pay for themselves in the first year and the lights will last a very long time.

If i could recommend any two it would be these...:twothumbs

Where did you find the old photon proton?

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
From my experience it seems like the old Proton is not as efficient as the newer model. I do like the red LED's performance in the old one better. It doesn't throw quite as far, but the floodier beam is more uniform.

Geoff