Need help picking an LED

Superdan50

Newly Enlightened
i need a led(s) that are pre-mounted to a star board. it needs to be visible at around 100yds. i will also need a lens that is 35-45mm.

any ideas

DodgeyDIY

Newly Enlightened
hitting 100yards isnt so much the LED's capabilities as compared to the body and LENS/REFLECTOR.. a 1watt led could throw 100yards with the right setup.. but i think your best just going with an XRE cree, that coupled with either a tight reflector or aspheric lens will be the go

SmurfTacular

Enlightened
Almost all high powered LED's have the option of being mounted onto a star board. How many lumens are you looking for? How much do you want to spend?

Here is a 10 Watt LED called a P7. It puts out 900 lumens. This specific one is mounted on a star board.

If you want multiple LED's, you can buy a 5 pack of P4's here. All mounted on star's

Here are some lens's

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.25233

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.10645

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.10646

And here is the search function.

Last edited:

DodgeyDIY

Newly Enlightened
its not so much the LED that does the throwing (100 yrads) but the reflector or the lens..

i think you will be happy with alsmot any high power led (3W) and lens or reflector as mentioned above.. or if you want some serious distance then have a play with some aspheric lenses the 50mm one on deal extreme goes nicely with a cheap Q2 also on there

Superdan50

Newly Enlightened
i appreciate the help, and as far as the search function i wasnt necessarily looking for some one to link me to specific leds but rather help me by giving me an idea as to what luminosity. as well as what type of lens.

i am new to the real specifics of leds and am excited to learn.

Superdan50

Newly Enlightened
on a side note i would like a lens that can mount to the star board and has a textured or frosted surface so the led is not visible behind it when it is off.

ledlens2.jpg

ledlens1.jpg

preferably the textured like the 1st one

uk_caver

Flashlight Enthusiast
So do you want the LED to be visible at 100yds (like a tail-light), or to light up things 100yds away (like a spotlight)?

Superdan50

Newly Enlightened
So do you want the LED to be visible at 100yds (like a tail-light), or to light up things 100yds away (like a spotlight)?

more like a tail light, it definately doesnt need to illuminate any thing.

also if it is further than 100 yds that is fine to, i just dont want something that is blinding or anything. a brightness between a taillight and a taillight with the brakes applied. so really i guess the actual distance isnt hugely important.