Machine Shop in a truck?

AilSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
I want to get a lathe and other mounted machines, but I don't have any place for it.. So I wonder if I could buy an old truck/lorry to set up a shop in.

The question is, are lathes and mills, etc. sensitive to vibrations and bumps, when I drive around? Do they come out of alignment or something?

McGizmo

Flashaholic
AilSnail,

To do it right, Mills and lathes should be secured and leveled in place. You could certainly get by with a small bench lathe and bench mill in a portable setting but it isn't advisable. Rigidity is key when machining so the better machines are very heavy and throwing their mass around does them no good. Powerful motors require a fair amount of electricity as well. Now if you could pick up a good heavy and rigid tank or personel carrier with an APU..........

- Don

AilSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Average Pudding Utencil? Adder Proof Ulcer? Seriously, what is an APU? Alternating Power Unit?

I thought those tanks had rather stiff springs - can you elaborate a bit? You mean find something with a very rigid frame or build one inside something that has not, then the bouncing will be less of an issue?