Have Zebralight lost IT?

PayBack

Enlightened
To me the one thing that made Zebralight stand apart in the early days, was they were the only company making small, lightweight headlamps with no spot.

These were great as you could place or clip them anywhere, and odds were they'd light the area you wanted... even better when you wanted an even flood over a large area.

Now they have a 11 degree spot. They no long have the thing that stood them apart from the rest. Sure they still have good lights, but to me, they've lost "it" :(

As an aside, if anyone knows somewhere still selling the old flood lights, please let me know!

bansuri

Enlightened
Zebralight.com still has all the old models except the H30, I just got my H50 and H501 neutrals in. :devil:

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
what is it that they've lost?

Je ne sais quio? - I dont know what?

What ever they had, I dont know but you'd hate to be known as a one trick pony.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
have no fear, zebralight will be coming out with "flood" versions of their newer headlamp models.:thumbsup:

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
To me the one thing that made Zebralight stand apart in the early days, was they were the only company making small, lightweight headlamps with no spot.

These were great as you could place or clip them anywhere, and odds were they'd light the area you wanted... even better when you wanted an even flood over a large area.

Now they have a 11 degree spot. They no long have the thing that stood them apart from the rest. Sure they still have good lights, but to me, they've lost "it" :(

As an aside, if anyone knows somewhere still selling the old flood lights, please let me know!

Actually, they now have 4 things that set them apart:

1. All flood 80 degree beam angled lights (they are still sold)

2. Regular flashlights with a side click

3. A smart UI with one click access to high or low

4. Flashlights with an angled head that can be used as headlamps. I would buy this over their regular flashlights (assuming throw and beam are the same) because angled lights are more versatile to me.

Last edited:

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
4. Flashlights with an angled head that can be used as headlamps. I would buy this over their regular flashlights (assuming throw and beam are the same) because angled lights are more versatile to me.
Please help enlighten me on what you meant by versatile. I have not owned any angled lights in my life and I just ordered a H501w an hour ago. Other than leaving it standing on the desk to shine across the desk or leaving on your forehead as a headlamp, what other ways can I use the H501w?

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
They no long have the thing that stood them apart from the rest. Sure they still have good lights, but to me, they've lost "it" :(

I'm not a mod, but this is a completely subjective opinion on your part and while your wording here is certainly not such that most people would take exception to it, the tone of your post is not generally one in which other CPF'ers would express their opinions. As such it is likely to whip up passions and quickly start an unproductive argument.

If you don't understand the logic of their designs, simply ask why, and ask other members to explain what they see in ZL's products that makes them appealing. No need to use pejorative descriptions of their engineers or them as a company.

tandem

Enlightened
There's no pejorative descriptions of ZL engineers or even the company in the OP's post. It does seem as though the OP's question is more a lament expressing fear that ZL will move away from producing products with the bundle of characteristics the OP prefers. I'm betting that won't come to pass.

As for the OP's question, if anything I think quite the opposite. ZL's upcoming SC series lights and in particular the SC51 have me considering ZL as a company I am interested in buying products from. I've steered clear of them precisely because I feared they'd be a short term wonder due to being more of a one-trick pony. That wasn't probably fair of me, of late at least, but now I am looking at the SC series and their other products including floody headlamps for the very first time. If anything I think they are finding their stride and show signs of becoming a much more interesting company for the long run.

Last edited:

DM51

Flashaholic
the tone of your post ... is likely to whip up passions and quickly start an unproductive argument.
I don't really see why his post should do that. It is expressing an opinion. It's his opinion; others may disagree with him but but he's entitled to it, and I see no evidence of an attempt by him to stir things up.

I may be wrong, but I think what he is saying is that while ZL are still good, they have (in his opinion) lost that special zing or whatever it was that used to excite his interest.

I think I probably disagree with him, as you do, and Selfbuilt certainly seems to disagree in that review I linked above, but an honestly-expressed opinion is not something that should get people too worked up or over-exercised.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast

They are still selling the "old flood lights".
AND they're coming out with H51F. Latest emitter with, you guessed it, Flood.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please help enlighten me on what you meant by versatile. I have not owned any angled lights in my life and I just ordered a H501w an hour ago. Other than leaving it standing on the desk to shine across the desk or leaving on your forehead as a headlamp, what other ways can I use the H501w?

Please check out this "Zebralight mods" thread for more information.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/3532448#post3532448

pipspeak

Enlightened
ZL makes a unique set of lights with features that few, if any, other manufacturers offer, but the issue to me is their reliability.

Before buying I'd read many threads about ZL problems and got the impression things had been ironed out, but my new H501w let me down last weekend on a camping trip so now I'm jaded (separate thread about that on the headlamps board).

kkeyser

Newly Enlightened
Zebralight hasn't lost it, but nitecore is getting close, if they haven't already.

PayBack

Enlightened
Thanks for the replies..... especially DM51 and Tandom. No, I was not making negative comments about the engineers at all. I said they make good products (people questioning the quality are more guilty of that than me), I merely pointed out what for me made them stand out.

Though I must admit one of my 3 Zlights was DOA.

I believe the light I'm sad to see go is the H31, however thanks to Zereul and Skyfire, as if you're correct, I'm relieved that they are coming out with flood options again.

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think there's anything wrong with asking if they have lost their special edge. It's something that I see all the time. Company has niche product that gets really popular. Company sees popularity and starts to expand into other similar products and products that are completely different. They overextend themselves or get into a territory where they are just searching for ideas rather than relying on the clear focus that they started with. Some companies do it and succeed. Most don't. We've seen examples of both right here on our forum.

Just as an example and not to change the topic, but I kind of worry that it might be happening with Fenix. I don't know enough about Zebralight to offer an opinion, nor do I own one of their products, but I'm sure that will change eventually.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just as an example and not to change the topic, but I kind of worry that it might be happening with Fenix.

I think that Fenix is having a huge weight of expectation with everything they release and they feel like they have to keep releasing new lights. They are brave in what they release but a little refinement in some of their products would be nice rather than rush them to the market. Something that zebralight doesn't do for sure (what do you mean back order!) but the SC51/HL51, it looks like they have got those pretty right.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
The OP is simply lamenting that, in joining the mob of makers whose lights throw a spot surrounded by a corona, Zebralight ceases to be distinctive and becomes, in one sense, a "me, too" company. For many, ZL's "all flood, all the time" beam profile was its trademark, and trademarks are usually protected.

The OP was not being provocative, by any stretch. Are CPFers becoming more prickly?