NITECORE -- Keep Innovating        
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 256789101112

Thread: ZebraLight Mods

Default Re: ZebraLight Mods

Has anybody found a solution to attach permanently a clip to the H600Fw Mk IV and similar models? The original pops out too easily, and it has already dented the aluminum in the clip groove
    The darkness is afraid of us.
    Flashlights are cheaper than therapy.

Flashaholic

Here's my solution.

I use the ArmyTek Wizard Pro Pocket Clip and headband mount. The clip 'clamps' need to be grinded down with a bench grinder and bent wider with pliers. It's ridiculously tight, to the point where I can only take the clip off by using another pocket clip to pull it off.

As for the headband mount, it fits very snugly and works perfectly without the pocket clip on, but actually still holds, albeit not perfectly in the grooves, if the clip is still attached. I added the elastic band around for extra security, but I doubt it would actually pop out unless I hit my head on something..

Also note that I added five 10x5x2 N50 magnets on the pocket clip and put some shrink tube around it.

Makes for an excellent utility light.

Last edited by likethevegetable; 03-09-2019 at 12:01 PM.
    Right-angle is the right angle!

Thanks for the tips, Iíll look into this clip. Since itís so tight, did you notice if it scratches the anodizing when inserting?

Flashaholic

If you grind it down properly and bend it enough, it shouldn't leave a scratch. But if you want it in tightly, a scratch may be unavoidable. I've seen people put plastic straws or heat shrunk over the clamps to avoid scratching. I tried to place the clip on before grinding it down and it scratched up the ano pretty good... lol

Iíll grind, sand and polish, just in case.

Where can I get a frosted lens for a H600F? I want it to be the "120ļ FLOOD". Just parts in general.

Quote Originally Posted by STREAMHAWAII View Post
    Where can I get a frosted lens for a H600F? I want it to be the "120ļ FLOOD". Just parts in general.
    I'm not sure there is such a part. Besides which, Zebralights don't really have any straightforward way to attach parts.

Most of us jimmyrig parts and experiment with attaching them. Someone 3-d printed a snap on filter holder for a Zebra light. So sometimes it can get pretty sophisticated. I use a simpler method, just using some parafilm to diffuse the beam. Diffusing the beam smoothes out any remnant of a hotspot left after the light goes through the Zebralight floody lens. The diffusing film also spreads out the beam.

You can buy a roll of parafilm that will last a lifetime on Amazon. Or PM me your address and I'll send you some. Others diffuse using a tape called DC Fix.
    Last edited by mobi; 04-01-2019 at 08:09 PM.

Hi,
    For all who want have a tail magnet on H604 you can see what I did with some epoxy resin and a magnet. You can find more info here https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?456594-Zebralight-H604-disk-magnet-for-tailcap&p=5350507&viewfull=1#post5350507

Nice magnet mod. I did something similar to one of my lights but used a rubber coated disc magnet from SuperMagnetMan. The magnet easily powers through the rubber and keeps the magnet protected nicely.
    "There ain't no bones in a hotdog" F. York.

Quote Originally Posted by noboneshotdog View Post
    Nice magnet mod. I did something similar to one of my lights but used a rubber coated disc magnet from SuperMagnetMan. The magnet easily powers through the rubber and keeps the magnet protected nicely.
    The N52 magnets are really strong so it easily holds the ZL even when encased in epoxy. And yes I had store-bought epoxy coated magnet but the epoxy film was too thin and it scratched away easily, so I had to make my own casing.

Quote Originally Posted by zarko550 View Post
    The N52 magnets are really strong so it easily holds the ZL even when encased in epoxy. And yes I had store-bought epoxy coated magnet but the epoxy film was too thin and it scratched away easily, so I had to make my own casing.
    I bought the store applied epoxy counted magnets as well. They do scratch too easily. If you find that the ones you did start scratching as well, at least you have another option with the rubber coated. Mine hasn't torn or scuffed at all and it gets used hard daily at work.

Like you, I love a light with a magnetic tailcap. Nice work!
    "There ain't no bones in a hotdog" F. York.

Emisar is selling magnetic tailcaps as an option to their smaller flashlights,
    ZL should do the same.
    I'm not a biggest fan of magnetic tailcaps, but sometimes it's unbeatable solution.

DIY clip magnets are probably even more unbeatable
    Thank you, masters!

Unenlightened

Thinking of making a magnetic charging tailcap dock. Will share the files once it's done. Probably a month minimum until a finished prototype.

The thing is, I don't know if the tailcap have any special circuitry to it. From basic inspection it appears to only bridge the negative of the battery and the exposed non anodized aluminum portion of the body.

Anybody know if the flashlight will work if you connect the neg of battery to the body? Will it complete the circuit? I don't want to mess up my new $89 flashlight lol.

Flashaholic

While I appreciate the effort and attempt, I doubt this will work. The tailcap almost certainly does not have any special circuitry, and you could definitely make a tailcap to access the negative terminal of the battery, but how do you plan on accessing the positive end? You need both terminals to charge. The negative terminal of the battery is indeed connected to the body of the light - the body is used to complete the circuit.

Quote Originally Posted by aeongen View Post

Thinking of making a magnetic charging tailcap dock. Will share the files once it's done. Probably a month minimum until a finished prototype.

The thing is, I don't know if the tailcap have any special circuitry to it. From basic inspection it appears to only bridge the negative of the battery and the exposed non anodized aluminum portion of the body.

Anybody know if the flashlight will work if you connect the neg of battery to the body? Will it complete the circuit? I don't want to mess up my new $89 flashlight lol.

I have a ZL H53Fc which I love. I do not love the headband; the two rubber pieces give me dents and a slight headache. I tried rerouting the band a couple different ways but that creates other problems.

I have an Olight H1 which is a great light and I love the headband. The silicone bands are just a little too big for the ZL. The Olight diameter is .72" and the ZL is .67". Any recommendations to create a tight fit? I was thinking of wrapping (electrical?) tape around the two spots where the bands attach to bring it up to the right diameter. Not sure how the tape would do if it got wet. Other ideas? I did order the Nite Ize headband so that me be an option too.

On a similar light holder, I routed the headband through the same opening where the light fits. Since there's extra material inside the silicone bands, the fit is tighter. But, that might not work for comfort, since the silicone part would then be right against your head.

[QUOTE=Netter1283;5365146]I have a ZL H53Fc which I love. I do not love the headband; the two rubber pieces give me dents and a slight headache. I tried rerouting the band a couple different ways but that creates other problems.
    QUOTE]

I put a piece of adhesive Velcro ( soft ) on the back side of the silicone holder. No more marks on my forehead.
    Kata Ton Δaimona Eaytoy

Unenlightened

[QUOTE=Lou Minescence;5365175]
    Quote Originally Posted by Netter1283 View Post
    I have a ZL H53Fc which I love. I do not love the headband; the two rubber pieces give me dents and a slight headache. I tried rerouting the band a couple different ways but that creates other problems.
    QUOTE]

I put a piece of adhesive Velcro ( soft ) on the back side of the silicone holder. No more marks on my forehead.
    Iím gonna have to try this, out of all my headlamps the ZL headbands sucks the worse. I wish ZL would fix this.

designed and printed holders for wider band,

Flashaholic*

Hi all,
    I have a ZL H51F and would like to add a magnet at the tail.
    Unfortunately the photobucket images in this thread are no longer visible, but I understand davidt1 put his magnet on the outside of the tailcap, gluing it.
    What about putting one inside the tailcap? There seems to be room under the spring for a 6 to 7mm diameter magnet, 1 or 2 mm thick.
    But I wonder whether such a magnet would be powerful enough to act through the tailcap material, what do you think?

Although it is quite smart, I am not interested in the clip solution, because I have removed the clip on my ZL for easier inserting of the light in the headband silicone holder.

People used to recommend Armytek headbands to replace the ZL one. Is this still a good way to go? I have 18650 ZLs. Which Armytak one is the right size? Are there other brands of bands and holders to consider? The holders and bands really let the ZLs down. The holders break and dig into one's forehead, and the bands stretch. Neither last nearly as long as the light itself. Most annoying.

Sent from my BV9600Pro using Tapatalk

what is wrong with ZL oem bands? i have half a dozen of different headlamps and their bands\holders, are no better than ZL. they all stretch over time, and all leave a mark on a forehead. the more you tighten them the more they dig in, regardless of brand. one can say they are all equally crappy. the whole reason i'm making my own, with wider band, and rigid holders, they sit on the head firmer, even thou the bands do not have to be tight, and stiff holder minimizes light's wobbling during walking\running.

Quote Originally Posted by alpg88 View Post
    what is wrong with ZL oem bands? i have half a dozen of different headlamps and their bands\holders, are no better than ZL. they all stretch over time, and all leave a mark on a forehead. the more you tighten them the more they dig in, regardless of brand. one can say they are all equally crappy. the whole reason i'm making my own, with wider band, and rigid holders, they sit on the head firmer, even thou the bands do not have to be tight, and stiff holder minimizes light's wobbling during walking\running.

I love the older ones. The new ones are junk. Hard, crispy type material with weak stretch. And you can no longer simply slide the plastic buckle to adjust; you have to grab that and then a piece of the band and pull it awkwardly.
    GOOD TINT!

Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    I love the older ones. The new ones are junk. Hard, crispy type material with weak stretch. And you can no longer simply slide the plastic buckle to adjust; you have to grab that and then a piece of the band and pull it awkwardly.
    i kind of see your point, my first holder was a black rubber one, and pretty soft, when it broke, i ordered a replacement, it was gitd type, it was not as soft, which i found to be an advantage, cuz it would cause less wobble, but i did rip one while putting the band in.

if you have a 3d printer, i can give you a file for the holders i printed , pic in a post above, they are made to work with 35-40mm rubber bands, you can get those at hobby stores, craft supplies, or internet, since i made them for my self i did not need to make them adjustable, tried several bands, with different stiffness, now i only use wide bands, and rigid holders, to me the difference is huge, i remove thin oem bands from every headlamp i buy, and make my own, unfortunately my printer broke, and i can't print anymore, i just got new ylp gekko, it is the only light i have that still has oem band.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 256789101112