HDS Systems        
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: ZebraLight Mods

Default Re: ZebraLight Mods

Hi, can some one point me how to open a H60? I will like to replace the led for a xp-g
    Zebralight Spark Princeton Inova Petzl Maglite Bushnell 4 XM-L MagMod and a lot of Cree XM-L Lights Nitecore i4 Intellicharger Intl-outdoor 3400 Panasonic 3100 Bare and protected Samsung 3000 Sanyo 2600
    Please, respect the planet, dont kill animals...

I'd also like to how to open these (particularly, the H501 switch and the H51 lens).

Thanks,
    Kevin

I don't think it is possible to open and if you were able to would require special machine to close.

Default Re: ZebraLight Mods a la DavidT1

You remember Davidt1's excellent accessory, the home-made, elastic-sleeve-with-round-the-neck holder? It just got one step easier to make...you can buy the elastic sleeve at your local Walgreen's pharmacy. It's for sprained fingers. They are called "Fingers TM Comforts Jammed & Sprained Fingers." In the first-aid section. Also found them online here: http://www.medco-athletics.com/Suppl...?Leaf_Id=39012

I found the Large size a little too loose for my H501s, but the Medium size is just right. Like Davidt1 says, this makes for a great alternate form of attachment, good for EDC carry on your person. I can see this coming in handy during travel...I always need a reading light when entering a taxi at night, but don't want to freak out the cabby by donning a headlamp. This will be ideal, just pull it from under the shirt and use it. Thanks DavidT1!!!

EDIT: Reread some of DavidT1's posts and added the cord lock he recommended. Now it can be easily and quickly adjusted for height if worn on the chest, or adjusted to fit as a makeshift headlamp, armlamp, wristlamp, or whatever. I think I will "upgrade" from cord to shoelace as it looks more comfortable.

Last edited by Bolster; 06-10-2011 at 12:37 PM.

Super Moderator

An excellent thread, much of which was feared lost in the crash of Feb 2011, but which was thankfully rescued from cache copies made by cistallus and Ja(me)s.

I have added it to the Threads of Interest sticky.
    Resistance is futile...

The "Rhino" double Zebralight helmet mount...

Last edited by Bolster; 06-10-2011 at 12:36 PM.

Has anyone made a removeable red filter for any of these lights?

Quote Originally Posted by Bolster View Post
    The "Rhino" double Zebralight helmet mount...

Someone has some mad skills and tools. Nice!
    "People don't plan to fail, they fail to plan."

Quote Originally Posted by carhound View Post
    Has anyone made a removeable red filter for any of these lights?
    I have for my H501. I don't have much use for a red light. I was mod-happy and wanted to do one for fun. Don't have it any more.
    EDC: ZL H52w, H502w

The only useful tool is the one you have with you when you need it.

You remember Davidt1's excellent accessory, the home-made, elastic-sleeve-with-round-the-neck holder? It just got one step easier to make...you can buy the elastic sleeve at your local Walgreen's pharmacy. It's for sprained fingers. They are called "Fingers TM Comforts Jammed & Sprained Fingers." In the first-aid section. Also found them online here: http://www.medco-athletics.com/Suppl...?Leaf_Id=39012

I found the Large size a little too loose for my H501s, but the Medium size is just right. Like Davidt1 says, this makes for a great alternate form of attachment, good for EDC carry on your person. I can see this coming in handy during travel...I always need a reading light when entering a taxi at night, but don't want to freak out the cabby by donning a headlamp. This will be ideal, just pull it from under the shirt and use it. Thanks DavidT1!!!

EDIT: Reread some of DavidT1's posts and added the cord lock he recommended. Now it can be easily and quickly adjusted for height if worn on the chest, or adjusted to fit as a makeshift headlamp, armlamp, wristlamp, or whatever. I think I will "upgrade" from cord to shoelace as it looks more comfortable.

I am glad you find this mod useful. For me, this is what sets a ZL headlamp apart from the rest. I am wearing my H51w under my shirt while typing this in a public library right now. Talk about being ready for anything, anywhere and any time! But it's not just the discreet EDC that makes a ZL headlamp unique. It's the discreet use that counts as well. For most tasks you should be able to use the light worn around your neck at chest level. You simply can't do this with a bulky jockstrap headlamp (assuming you can carry one with you in the first place) I notice you don't have a clip on yours. I use the clip for two reasons: 1. it acts as a stabilizer of sort to reduce bouncing. 2. If I ever needed to clip my light in my pocket, having the clip already on the light makes the process quicker.

Sorry for the late response. I have been so happy with my H51w that I have no desire to even look at another light. Thus, my absence from CPF. The only light I am interested in is the H502w. It would have to be one amazing light to replace my H51w as an EDC light though.
    Last edited by davidt1; 06-10-2011 at 03:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
    I have for my H501. I don't have much use for a red light. I was mod-happy and wanted to do one for fun. Don't have it any more.
    got any pics? What did you use for materials?

Quote Originally Posted by carhound View Post
    got any pics? What did you use for materials?
    Sorry no more pictures. I posted them a long ago. Then deleted them. I used some webbing material cut from a strap.

Having been inspired by a lot of the awesome mods and ideas in this thread, I thought I'd throw in my $.02 worth... I think the pocketclip and magnets were fantastic ideas, and sought to combine the two. I used a stock Ra Clicky clip which gives a nice, deep carry that offers some more stability due to it's width, and a wide mounting point for the magnets. Some Dremel work as well as some bending work had a clip that fits well IMHO. Shrink wrap around the body, and then a layer over the clip holds nicely but allows the clip to rotate on the body as seen without much trouble. More than enough friction to hold the angle of your choosing, though. This has held up well through moderate carry and use so far. H501w, current programming with a lower low available... I wish this could be had with the same modes as my sc51w that has memory. Thanks for the inspiration folks!

The TK20. Yes, it still rocks- WoodsWalker

scout24,

Thanks for sharing your idea.

A small but important part of the neck lanyard/headband for the H501 is the clip. It adds a bulge to the round body of the light and makes it harder for the light to rotate accidentally. It also gives the light some stability and helps reduce the bouncing. The clip I use is a $3 Fenix clip sold by BatteryJunction. It's the best clip for AAA and small AA lights I have found.

http://www.batteryjunction.com/fenix-fx-pc.html

H501 and H51w side-by-side

To adjust the angle of the beam, I hold the the clip with one hand while rotating the light with the other hand.

You are looking at the pinnacle of headlamp usefulness and EDC friendliness here. Worn all day. Tucked discreetly behind shirt when not in use. Put in front of shirt during use. Move to the head when used as headlamp. Ready for any any emergency anywhere and any time.
    Last edited by davidt1; 06-22-2011 at 11:42 AM.

I'm a believer in this carry style; I have seen the light! Until DavidT's neck carry option I'd not EDC'd a headlamp in public due to strap bulk and...well, call it "social awkwardness"...but I'm EDCing an H501w now (in bag, and if I think I'll need it, then around neck), without the Zebralight headband. I have a setup similar to David's, using the Walgreen's 'Fingers' bandage/protector, but I don't own the clip yet. I went with the "flat & slightly stretchy boot shoelace" option which serves well as both headlamp strap and around-the-neck.

The around-the-neck use is fantastic with a wide floody beam (wouldn't try it with any other type of beam though as you can't aim it as well). I have my "final" CERT test in a few days where they throw us into a dark room and make us sort through (pretend) injured bodies. I'll have my neck-light tucked under my shirt, and will be able to deploy and use BOTH hands while everyone else struggles with their clumsy and dim 2D flashlights and one hand.

Love cheating on a test!! Anyway, if you haven't tried the DavidT Carry, try it! It's worth the effort of assembling the pieces the first time you need it:

- flat boot shoelace or paracord with "guts" removed (it flattens out then, still very strong)
    - cord lock (mine from REI)
    - elastic sleeve (Check Walgreen's first aid section for the Fingers bandage if you don't want to make your own)
    - clip, as above.
    - Optional...an acrylic tube to carry it in, that's what I use when stored in my bag.
    Last edited by Bolster; 06-22-2011 at 01:55 PM.

Flashaholic

Sorry for the late response. I have been so happy with my H51w that I have no desire to even look at another light. Thus, my absence from CPF.
    Whew - thought we lost ya... but then I understand it's hard to improve when you've found your ideal. I do think the H502w will be a special light too, though. Good to see you back!

- Jas.

Quote Originally Posted by JA(me)S View Post
    Whew - thought we lost ya... but then I understand it's hard to improve when you've found your ideal. I do think the H502w will be a special light too, though. Good to see you back!

- Jas.
    Yeah, I am eagerly waiting for the H502w. After getting that light, I will probably be done with buying lights for a long time.

While the neck lanyard/headband is super convenient, it is not the most stable when used as a headband. This is because the lanyard is more or less a string. As I have posted in the previous page, a headband made of velcro is a good solution to reduce bouncing. It works because velcro doesn't stretch like elastic material. I use the one sold at Walmart because it is the thinnest I could find. When you EDC about 20 items on your person everyday, every ounce and inch you can shave off helps. I EDC both the neck lanyard and the velcro headband on my person at all times. The neck lanyard is used about 80% of the times. For those times when I run, or work in tight and awkward positions, the velcro headband is needed.

The thin material doesn't take up a lot space and allows for wrapping around my wrist. Not in the picture, but I normally wear my watch over it.

When needed, it becomes a headband stable enough for running.

It also turns my ZL light into a wrist light, which is fantastic for running.

When I am dressed up and don't want to wear it on my wrist, there is always the ankle.

The velcro headband is just one more way to EDC and use these amazing ZL lights. It's a great item for everyday and emergency use too. I was helping someone move a few weeks ago. We needed to tie two items together. It took me seconds to remove the velcro from my wrist to secure the items while the guy I was helping looked around for some rope.
    Last edited by davidt1; 06-27-2011 at 03:33 PM.

Very interesting, tell me how wrist mount is fantastic for running? When I run I flail my arms back and forth quite a bit...

Very interesting, tell me how wrist mount is fantastic for running? When I run I flail my arms back and forth quite a bit...
    Then I suppose it won't be fantastic for you.

Anybody disassembled a zebralight to have it refinished? I love everything about my zebras except for the cheesy gold finish

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Then I suppose it won't be fantastic for you.
    LOL David. Yes I'm a spazz. On the other hand, I have this vision of you running without moving your arms...

Let's just admit that a running light needs a gyroscope mounted to it...!

LOL David. Yes I'm a spazz. On the other hand, I have this vision of you running without moving your arms...

Let's just admit that a running light needs a gyroscope mounted to it...!
    Just put it on your head when you run. I promise it won't bounce as much as the stock headband. A box of this velcro cost about $6 and can make 4 headbands. That's less than any retail velcro headband sold. Both the neck lanyard and the velcro headband take up less space than the stock headband and can be carried discreetly (along with your ZL light) on your person whether you are in a boardroom meeting, at a construction site, in a cave, in church, etc.

With the addition of this velcro headband, my UL, hand-free, on-person, ready-for-any-emergency, anywhere and any time, all-in-one light system is now complete.
    Last edited by davidt1; 06-29-2011 at 01:00 PM.

What type of glue are you guys using to attach the magnets to the tail caps?

Quote Originally Posted by g.p. View Post
    What type of glue are you guys using to attach the magnets to the tail caps?
    I use the same glue to attach Leds, artic ceramic two parts.

I used some paracord and the extra holder that came with the H501w to put together this simple rig. I'll probably make this a bit neater and more permanent with some actual connectors or crimp sleeves or the like on the paracord (maybe)...and I might see if ZebraLight will sell me a couple of extra holders to experiment with.

This doesn't move around much at all (wide and rubbery footprint), but I don't use it this way in too many situations where I'm worried about motion. Outside in the dark (or in the attic or wherever), I prefer the headband since I want the light to point where I'm looking. Even with a flood, it's pretty easy to look outside the zone of coverage if the light is stationary on my chest. On the flip side, this is much more convenient than the headband...and doesn't give me headband hair.

Unenlightened

Nice idea, varuscelli. I imagine if you were to put a cord lock on the p-cord "lanyard" it could also be tightened up and used as a headband.

Quote Originally Posted by swingert View Post
    Nice idea, varuscelli. I imagine if you were to put a cord lock on the p-cord "lanyard" it could also be tightened up and used as a headband.
    Hey, that's a really good idea, swingert. You probably wouldn't want to wear it for long stretches like that (guessing that it might be a bit uncomfortable after a while compared to a wide headband...but with the light weight of these headlamps, you never know). In the very least it would be great for a quick switch to headband as needed for short stretches. It would also allow for any shortening and lengthening of the hanging length when worn around the neck, which can (I think) be desirable at times. Great thought.
    Last edited by varuscelli; 08-09-2011 at 10:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by swingert View Post
    And here it is (minutes later) attached to a SureFire Z33 Lanyard Kit that I happened to have in my parts box.

Brilliant idea, swingert. Looks this was the ideal missing ingredient for the terminal end.

And as you suggested, it works just fine in "lanyard headband" mode as well as allowing it to be worn around the neck. Very cool -- and very versatile.

Note: the reason I have looped the cord across the top/front of the holder is that if I let the cord just run through the two slots in the holder, it tends to make the holder "bunch" or squeeze together just a bit side to side (the downward weight of the light). So, I'm trying to figure out the best way to run the cord to prevent any squeezing or bunching of the holder (the "bunching" tends to keep the holder from sitting as flatly against the chest when the lanyard is worn around the neck).

This would look really good using the black holder, too...but I've got that one on the actual ZebraLight headband.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast