Acebeam        
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 90 of 350

Thread: ZebraLight Mods

  1. #61
    Unenlightened
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    13

    Default Re: ZebraLight Mods

    That looks great, and amazing turnaround on producing the product and uploading the image!

    Please do let us know how it works in headband mode over longer periods of time. With the light weight of the light and if the cord is a little stretchy I'm thinking it could be quite comfortable.

  2. #62

    Default Re: ZebraLight Mods

    Quote Originally Posted by swingert View Post
    That looks great, and amazing turnaround on producing the product and uploading the image!

    Please do let us know how it works in headband mode over longer periods of time. With the light weight of the light and if the cord is a little stretchy I'm thinking it could be quite comfortable.
    The only thing I'm seeing that's not as desirable with the lanyard locks is the bulkiness of the locking end piece when worn around the neck.

    For instance, if the paracord is tied or uses a smaller connector, the cord itself can be easily slipped under a shirt collar and not be visible. The problem (although not a large problem) is that the end cord and lanyard locks stick out a bit awkwardly from the back of the neck. It might be that one of the flat/oval lanyard locks would work better for around-the-neck use -- or some other kind of lanyard locks that are less bulky than the ones I have on hand. It's not that is has to be worn under a shirt collar, but you do end up with an extended bit of cord/locks sticking out from the back of the neck.

    Of course, I might be able to rig the lanyard and locks to work more like a bolo tie with the lock pushing up from the bottom (allowing adjustable height for the light on the chest)...but then the headband concept wouldn't work right (unless turning/flipping/reversing the holder on the fly -- relatively easily -- would be a workable option).

    On wearing the paracord lanyard as a headband, it works pretty well. The headlamp is definitely lightweight enough that it doesn't bear down uncomfortably on the thin paracord, and the paracord is actually pretty comfortable around the head. It's not as secure as a stretchy headband, but it's certainly workable. Tightening the locks against the back of the head is a bit awkward (a possible hair puller). It's almost as though the best way of tightening it is to cinch it up as close as possible to the back of the head, remove the lanyard briefly and cinch it up a slight bit more, then pull it down over the head. It's a bit difficult to explain, but cinching this particular lanyard lock snugly against the back of my head is a bit more difficult than it might seem. I can cinch it up close enough to stay in place, but not close enough to be as snugly fit as is probably desirable.

    This is a great step in usability overall. Just a couple of irregularities to figure out.

  3. #63

    Default Re: ZebraLight Mods

    The magnets are really amazing. Great improvisation!

  4. #64

    Default Re: ZebraLight Mods

    The ZebraLight H501w Bolo Tie



    Last edited by varuscelli; 08-17-2011 at 02:03 PM.

  5. #65
    Unenlightened
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    13

    Default Re: ZebraLight Mods



    Too funny! I love it. I think you've created a new fashion.

  6. #66

    Default Re: ZebraLight Mods

    Quote Originally Posted by swingert View Post
    Too funny! I love it. I think you've created a new fashion.
    Next formal event I attend...I'm wearing it.

  7. #67

    Default Re: ZebraLight Mods (Separate Accessories)

    Note of Interest: I contacted ZebraLight about purchasing extra accessories and found that although they don't necessarily make ordering such items evident via the website they do make such things as extra headbands, headlamp holders and pocket clips available (at what seem to me to be very reasonably low prices with low shipping costs).

    I've ordered a some extra headlamp holders to experiment with (black and glow-in-the-dark) and they said they'd throw in a pocket clip for free with the order. The extra holders seem to be about $2.50 each and extra headbands only about $2 each (according to an earlier correspondence). Shipping on these items seems to run about $2.95 for small/lightweight items or a combination of small items.

  8. #68

    Default Re: ZebraLight Mods

    it not seems the headlamp,but the application is very wide. the idea of application is very perfect

  9. #69

    Default Re: ZebraLight Mods

    Here's some good FYI stuff for ZebraLight fans out there.

    I ordered two black holders and two GITD holders to use to play with different "holder mods" for my H501w. Cost for those items was $12.95 including shipping.

    I was told that I'd get a couple of extra goodies with my order. Here's what I received:

    Two black holders WITH headbands
    Two GITD holders
    One GITD holder with lanyard
    One pocket clip
    One set of o-rings.

    Talk about a lot of bang for the buck. Very happy here.

    Kudos to ZebraLight for excellent customer service and generosity. Not only are they winning me over with their lights but with their customer service as well.

    All my correspondence was with Lillian at ZebraLight (Irving, TX), so I'm pretty sure she's the one who set me up with all this neat stuff. Thank you, Lillian.


  10. #70

    Default Re: ZebraLight Mods

    Quote Originally Posted by lkhao@hotmail.com View Post
    it not seems the headlamp,but the application is very wide. the idea of application is very perfect
    Yes -- there are some very creative people on this forum. I learn something new every time I visit.

  11. #71

    Default Re: ZebraLight Mods a la DavidT1

    Quote Originally Posted by Changchung View Post
    I use the same glue to attach Leds, artic ceramic two parts.
    I found some rare earth magnets on ebay that were the perfect size, but I couldn't find Artic Ceramic locally. After some reading I found out that JB Weld is used to attach magnets in high perfomance RC airplane motors. I figured if it could handle that type of enviroment that it would probably work for my flashlight. Gave it a try last night and it seems to have made a great bond.

    Thanks for the magnet idea and all of the help!

  12. #72

    Default Re: Zebralight Mods

    when I SEE the post, I am facsinate with great innovation for putting some place you want.
    it is very creative.

  13. #73
    Flashaholic Zenbaas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    JHB, RSA
    Posts
    175

    Default Re: ZebraLight Mods a la DavidT1

    Quote Originally Posted by g.p. View Post
    I found some rare earth magnets on ebay that were the perfect size, but I couldn't find Artic Ceramic locally. After some reading I found out that JB Weld is used to attach magnets in high perfomance RC airplane motors. I figured if it could handle that type of enviroment that it would probably work for my flashlight. Gave it a try last night and it seems to have made a great bond.

    Thanks for the magnet idea and all of the help!
    This may be a very delayed reply but thanks for the information in any case. A quick question for the guys who have their magnets on the outside of the light...why stick it to the light..? Shouldn't the magnetism be enough to keep it in place..? (I understand removing it from other metal object may present a problem if not glued in place).

    Also is there any chance that the magnets can damage or interfere with the batteries or the light internal circuits...? (Same goes for things that may be carried close to the flashlight..ie. cellphone in pockets etc.)

  14. #74

    Default Re: ZebraLight Mods a la DavidT1

    Zenbaas,

    The body of the light is aluminum. There is really nothing for the magnet to attach to. That's why it needs to be glued in place.

    The magnet does pull on the battery a little. I used 2 magnets on my H501 and they eventually pulled the battery away from the head enough to cause it to stop making contact. This happened after about 8 months. If you use only one magnet, there is nothing to worry about. For 2 magnets I suggest adding a spacer between the cap and first magnet.

    I have asked Zebralight (through CPF only) to use a thicker battery spring (like the one they use on the SC600) on their future lights. Hopefully, someone with better contact with them will pass the information along.

    No the magnet does not hurt the internal circuit in any way.
    Last edited by davidt1; 09-24-2011 at 04:30 PM.
    EDC: ZL H52w, H502w

    The only useful tool is the one you have with you when you need it.

  15. #75
    Flashaholic* Bolster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Mexifornia
    Posts
    1,542

    Default Re: ZebraLight Mods a la DavidT1

    Quote Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
    I used 2 magnets on my H501 and they eventually pulled the battery away from the head enough to cause it to stop making contact. This happened after about 8 months. If you use only one magnet, there is nothing to worry about.
    I have a friend with an H501 who had the spring compress over the course of about 3 months, and he used NO magnet. He stretched the spring back, no harm no foul. But the point is, the magnet may not be causing the spring compression. The spring is known to do that on its own.

  16. #76

    Default Re: ZebraLight Mods a la DavidT1

    In my case, it was the magnets because once I took one of the magnets off everything worked again.
    EDC: ZL H52w, H502w

    The only useful tool is the one you have with you when you need it.

  17. #77

    Default Re: ZebraLight Mods a la DavidT1

    To illustrate the pulling affect the magnets have on the battery:

    I use 2 magnets here. One magnet won't hold the battery at all. There is absolutely nothing to worry about if you use one magnet.


    Last edited by davidt1; 09-25-2011 at 04:46 AM.
    EDC: ZL H52w, H502w

    The only useful tool is the one you have with you when you need it.

  18. #78
    Flashaholic Zenbaas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    JHB, RSA
    Posts
    175

    Default Re: ZebraLight Mods a la DavidT1

    Thank you for the informative replies David. Appreciate it! As the the body being aluminum...well what can I say but.... Doh! lol. The thought of glueing a magnet to my new light makes me want to cringe just a little bit although I know from experience that having something that can stick to a metal surface can prove to be invaluable when you really need it...!

  19. #79
    Flashaholic* Bolster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Mexifornia
    Posts
    1,542

    Default Re: ZebraLight Mods a la DavidT1

    Quote Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
    In my case, it was the magnets because once I took one of the magnets off everything worked again.
    Well, that's pretty indisputable, then! Thanks for the info.

  20. #80

    Cool Re: ZebraLight Mods

    I have always shied away from headlamps before. However, all these great mods and ideas have peaked my interest in going for a Zebralight H51. With respect to the magnet mod, I understand they can be attached with JB Weld. Q: Would someone please recommend what type, size, and where I could buy the magnets from? Thank you.
    EXCALIBUR1

  21. #81

    Default Re: ZebraLight Mods

    Quote Originally Posted by EXCALIBUR1 View Post
    I have always shied away from headlamps before. However, all these great mods and ideas have peaked my interest in going for a Zebralight H51. With respect to the magnet mod, I understand they can be attached with JB Weld. Q: Would someone please recommend what type, size, and where I could buy the magnets from? Thank you.
    I bought 3 different sizes. I still don't know the size that's on my H51w.

    [Link deleted]

    Edit: By the way, I have the H51W. I use dc-fix to diffuse the beam further to my liking. Unless you know for sure you want the flashlight beam of the H51, don't overlook the H51F model. In my experience with flashlights and headlamps, for close-up use (I believe most ZL lights end up being used this way), a flood beam is the best.
    Last edited by DM51; 09-26-2011 at 12:32 AM.
    EDC: ZL H52w, H502w

    The only useful tool is the one you have with you when you need it.

  22. #82

    Default Re: ZebraLight Mods

    davidt1,

    Thanks for your reply. It was your neck lanyard mod, among other great ideas that gave me the headlamp bug.

    What size would you recommend?

    Yes, I am kind of on the fence between the H51 and H51F. (I prefer the cool white tint.) I would use the headlamp for mostly close and hands free purposes (using your neck lanyard mod). I'm thinking the H51F would make more sense? Your additional thoughts would be most welcome.
    Last edited by DM51; 09-26-2011 at 12:32 AM.
    EXCALIBUR1

  23. #83
    Super Moderator
    DM51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Borg cube #51
    Posts
    13,339

    Default Re: ZebraLight Mods

    Google "neodymium magnets" and you will find plenty of places selling them in different sizes.

    5 mm diameter x 1 mm thick is a pretty useful size; if you need a thicker magnet, just stack 2 or 3 of them together.
    Last edited by DM51; 09-26-2011 at 12:37 AM.
    Resistance is futile...

  24. #84

    Default Re: ZebraLight Mods

    Quote Originally Posted by EXCALIBUR1 View Post
    davidt1,

    Thanks for your reply. It was your neck lanyard mod, among other great ideas that gave me the headlamp bug.

    What size would you recommend?

    Yes, I am kind of on the fence between the H51 and H51F. (I prefer the cool white tint.) I would use the headlamp for mostly close and hands free purposes (using your neck lanyard mod). I'm thinking the H51F would make more sense? Your additional thoughts would be most welcome.
    For up-close use the H51F is the better choice.
    EDC: ZL H52w, H502w

    The only useful tool is the one you have with you when you need it.

  25. #85

    Default Re: ZebraLight Mods

    Got my magnets from Ebay. I just searched for "rare earth magnet" and found a bunch of sizes.

  26. #86
    Flashaholic DIΩDΣ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    262

    Default Re: ZebraLight Mods

    I am wanting to do the magnet mod too. I am wondering, not wanting to attach with something as permanent as JB Weld how about some pure clear silicone? Should be pretty strong but able to be removed later if needed although sometimes silicone leaves enough residue on the surface that short of a scraper wont get it all off. I wonder if ZL sells extra tailcaps?

    This may be nit picking but when jogging or hiking every ounce matters and there wouldnt be any use for a magnet. An extra tailcap w/o magnet could be used in those situations where you would not need a magnet and weight matters.

  27. #87

    Default

    Give ZL a call and see what they can do for you.
    This is my signature. They're many like it but this one is mine..

  28. #88

    Default Re: ZebraLight Mods

    Thanks everyone for all the great ideas and recommendations. Semper fi, carry on.
    EXCALIBUR1

  29. #89
    Flashaholic Zenbaas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    JHB, RSA
    Posts
    175

    Default Re: ZebraLight Mods

    Quote Originally Posted by DIΩDΣ View Post
    I am wanting to do the magnet mod too. I am wondering, not wanting to attach with something as permanent as JB Weld how about some pure clear silicone? Should be pretty strong but able to be removed later if needed although sometimes silicone leaves enough residue on the surface that short of a scraper wont get it all off. I wonder if ZL sells extra tailcaps?

    This may be nit picking but when jogging or hiking every ounce matters and there wouldnt be any use for a magnet. An extra tailcap w/o magnet could be used in those situations where you would not need a magnet and weight matters.
    Good Idea..! Please do report back if you manage to find out

  30. #90

    Default Re: ZebraLight Mods

    Quote Originally Posted by DIΩDΣ View Post
    I wonder if ZL sells extra tailcaps?
    Quote Originally Posted by Diablo_331 View Post
    Give ZL a call and see what they can do for you.
    I think you have to contact ZL via their website Contact Form (as far as I know that's the only way to contact them). I don't know if extra tailcaps would be available, but they've been very accommodating to my own requests for extra parts (headlamp holders, etc.) and I bet they'd be willing to sell you an extra tailcap at a reasonable cost, if they're actually available via the U.S. distributor.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •