The Fenix-Store        
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: ZebraLight Mods

Default Re: ZebraLight Mods

Quote Originally Posted by DIΩDΣ View Post
    I am wanting to do the magnet mod too. I am wondering, not wanting to attach with something as permanent as JB Weld how about some pure clear silicone? Should be pretty strong but able to be removed later if needed although sometimes silicone leaves enough residue on the surface that short of a scraper wont get it all off. I wonder if ZL sells extra tailcaps?

This may be nit picking but when jogging or hiking every ounce matters and there wouldnt be any use for a magnet. An extra tailcap w/o magnet could be used in those situations where you would not need a magnet and weight matters.
    I used regular super glue. It comes off clean and easy.

Sometimes the right question will produce a solution. You asked the right question.
    This is a removable magnet mod. Choose a cap that fits over the cap of your light. There wasn't any here. I had to grind the inside of two of these so they could fit.

After grinding to fit and adding a magnet.

Fit over cap of light. I am gonna show just one.

As overhead light in standard position.

Here is the best part about this mod. Well, make that two. The first is it is removable. The second is it is adjustable. As useful as my past magnet mod has been, one frustration remains: the beam can not be adjusted. With this mod, it can be. Pop the cap open and stick some paper in there to change the angle of the beam.

I am going to leave it on my light for few days to see if I can keep it attached permanently.
    Last edited by davidt1; 09-26-2011 at 04:20 PM.
    EDC: ZL H52w, H502w

The only useful tool is the one you have with you when you need it.

Very nice Davidt1! Even better than the first.
    This is my signature. They're many like it but this one is mine..

Has anyone modded the electronic switch with a nice reliable mechanical one? Maybe I'd buy a Zebra then...

Quote Originally Posted by shao.fu.tzer View Post
    Has anyone modded the electronic switch with a nice reliable mechanical one? Maybe I'd buy a Zebra then...
    The switch is already mechanical, only momentary. It's the switching that's electronic. If you were to put an on-off switch on it, you wouldn't be able to switch between modes or settings.

Edit to add: Actually, it would just cycle between modes, continuously. Like it does when holding the switch down now.
    Last edited by Lite_me; 09-26-2011 at 08:09 PM.
    "People don't plan to fail, they fail to plan."

Quote Originally Posted by Diablo_331 View Post
    Very nice Davidt1! Even better than the first.
    I am glad you like it. I hope it inspires you and others to say, "hey, that's nice, but I can make it better."

It turns out this mod works great for AAA and some AA flashlights as well. It should fit most AA flashlights without a clip or with some clearance in the back. The mod should fit the SC51 and SC80. Here I use the Fenix E05.

Last edited by davidt1; 09-27-2011 at 11:45 AM.

Ever worried about your angle ZL light turning on by accidents? Just glue an 0-ring over the switch and no more worries. Yesterday I learned this mod from Lite_me.

More uses for the removable magnet mod. The upcoming H502 (or the H501) is a perfect match for this mod because it is shorter than the H51. Once you add the plastic cap it will be about the length of the H51 without the mod. It's just another reason I can't wait to get the H502W.

The mod easily turns my H51W and E05 into a desk lamp, great for studying, eating, etc.

I learned about the oring trick yesterday as well. Very neat.
    This is my signature. They're many like it but this one is mine..

Now that I have thought about it, the removable magnet mod should work even better on the H30, H31, SC30, and SC31 because CR123 lights are short in length.

sort of as a follow up on gcb's red light Photon thread here, has anyone with the Zebra magnet mod tried to see if the magnet will hold a Photon/fauxton on to the Zebra's tail cap. i think there might be enough metal in the Photon/fauxton battery to stick to the magnet. if so, that would be a great red light option for a Zebra. if you have a magnetic tail cap, you can just stick an unmodded red Photon/ fauxton on the magnet for a optional red light.

Here's an H501w holder I made for a baseball cap visor. I probably wouldn't advise doing this with one of the heavier ZL headlamps, but the H501w is fairly light weight and works just fine.

If you want to wear a baseball-style cap with a Zebralight (with the headband attached over the cap), the visor will generally get in the way of angling the lamp downward. If you wear the headband under the cap you can get some other hat fit issues and/or glare/vision issues. So, I wanted to set up a way to place the H501 on the cap visor.

I took a spare ZL headlamp holder and trimmed off the ends and mounted that to a metal strike plate for a stereo cabinet glass door (those are typically available general hardware stores). If using the ZL holder in the laid-down flat position (as you would for a cap visor holder like I'm showing here), you have to trim off the protruding headband guides or they will block some of the light when the lamp is angled downward.

The stereo cabinet glass door strikes (about $3 USD at a hardware store) are just about a perfect fit for the visor of a baseball cap (very snug, won't slip off). I roughed up the metal on one side of the door strike and the rubber on the bottom of the lamp holder and glued those together with Super Glue. On my first try, I used some PC-7 (two part epoxy paste) that I had on hand, and even though the epoxy paste worked great for the painted surface of the metal door strike, it wasn't very good for adhering to the rubber of the ZL lamp holder (many adhesives do NOT work well with rubber, but old fashion Super Glue is one of those that does, and it's relatively inexpensive).

Note: In the photos the strike plate seems to look a lot heavier than it really is, but part of the thick appearance is because of the inner padding that holds it to whatever it's attached to. It actually weighs between 8 to 10 grams, but I didn't get an exact weight before I put it together. Here are a few of the weights I got when I checked after I got it set up (for what it's worth).

H501w + Powerex Battery = 52 grams
    H501w + Powerex Battery + Standard Silicon Holder = 58 grams
    H501w + Powerex Battery + Trimmed Silicon Holder + Strike Plate = 66 grams

This setup would have worked really well using an inexpensive money clip, too...but I didn't have one of those on hand to experiment with. (A money clip version is coming up, though.)

Update: See post 116 for the money clip hat visor holder.

Attaches over or under a hat visor

I'm also playing around with adding a magnet to the bottom of the plate. The whole thing will still do a tailstand if removed from the visor, and if used with the magnet will give 360 degree rotation of the lamp either vertically or horizontally (or even diagonally), depending on how you place the magnet against the chosen surface. This thing is really versatile. I used a neodymium magnets, but I"m wondering if a and adhesive-backed flexible strip magnet would be better (if it were strong enough, that is).

Last edited by varuscelli; 10-13-2011 at 03:24 PM.

Brilliant varuscelli! I love the ingenuity in this thread.

Thanks, edc3. I toyed around with about a half dozen ways of doing that and finally decided on the strike plate thing. But, I updated my original post with the thought that it would have probably been better to use a cheap money clip, if I could have found one. I'll probably do one of those as well. And the magnet addition gives it even more potential uses, especially coupled with the trimmed down silicon holder for all the lamp rotation possibilities (360 degrees in vertical or horizontal or any chosen angle in between). I like the way it came together.

I have good news for those who don't want to glue a magnet to your ZL headlamp. You can use magnets without gluing them to the tail cap, or without using a removable magnet mod. This is possible because of the ingenious swiveling clip.

Attach 1 magnet to the clip, then attach that magnet to another magnet. The angle of the beam can be adjusted by swiveling the clip/light.

Because the wood is thick, 3 magnets were needed here: 1 on the clip and 2 on the inside.

Beam angle adjustment is much better with the new way.

My removable magnet mod, while unnecessary now, is not a total waste. I can store 2 magnets on it. There are instances where extending the light out has an advantage over the flat layout. However, the new way allows for a more precise control of the beam angle. In short, the new way is better than the old one without the hassle of gluing and making a mod. But you need a way to EDC some magnets.
    Last edited by davidt1; 10-05-2011 at 12:17 PM.

Unenlightened

@varuscelli: The cap holder is such awesome! Love it...

Quote Originally Posted by perregrintuk View Post
    @varuscelli: The cap holder is such awesome! Love it...
    Thank you, perregrintuk...

I just received my H51F from GG using the ggcpf10 discount code. I'm lovin' it. Right now, I have my H51F set up with the GITD holder, black 550 paracord, and cord lock ala varuscelli. As we all know, this set up works well for neck and head wear when using the H51F.

I would like to thank davidt1, Bolster, varuscelli, et. al. for their contributions and mod ideas. I am now a CPF headlamp user.
    Quote Originally Posted by varuscelli View Post
    Last edited by EXCALIBUR1; 10-06-2011 at 04:20 PM.
    EXCALIBUR1

Congrats on your new H51F. Find a way to use the clip. With the clip and some magnets you can turn this light into all kind of other lights: desk lamp, over head light, night light, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by EXCALIBUR1 View Post
    I just received my H51F from GG using the ggcpf10 discount code. I'm lovin' it. Right now, I have my H51F set up with the GITD holder, black 550 paracord, and cord lock ala varuscelli. As we all know, this set up works well for neck and head wear when using the H51F.

I would like to thank davidt1, Bolster, varuscelli, et. al. for their contributions and mod ideas. I am now a CPF headlamp user.
    Very cool! But I think once you get one of these things, I think you're hooked. Of the different lights I own, I think the ZebraLight headlamp and SC600 are my favorite own/two punch with their compact size, power, versatility and bang for the buck.

davidt1 and varuscelli,

Thank you. It is an honor to be in the presence of such venerable flashaholics. I am finding more and more uses for my H51F. With the neck and head wear options afforded by the H51F, there is no more need to hold the flashlight in my mouth anymore. I am planning to buy some magnets next. I am still on the prowl for an elastic sleeve, but my local Wallygreens does not have them in stock.

Please keep those mods and new ideas coming.
    Last edited by EXCALIBUR1; 10-07-2011 at 03:51 PM.
    EXCALIBUR1

Try Joan's fabric or walmart.

David - Much thank you for your great ideas!! I think you should package a "Dave's Accessory" for like $20 payable via PayPal. This includes everything up to your last post in this thread. I definitely would be interested.

The H502 and H502W are around the corner and quite hard to resist in getting H501 which has been out for a while!!!

Quote Originally Posted by miyagi View Post
    David - Much thank you for your great ideas!! I think you should package a "Dave's Accessory" for like $20 payable via PayPal. This includes everything up to your last post in this thread. I definitely would be interested.

The H502 and H502W are around the corner and quite hard to resist in getting H501 which has been out for a while!!!
    Thanks for the kind words. A cord lock, shoelace, elastic sleeve and some magnets should cost you no more than $5 to put together by yourself. I can not believe I have spent months using the light with a magnet glued to the tail cap and not realizing sooner a better way to use magnets is through the rotating clip. Thanks must go to Zebralight for including this ever-so-useful clip. I hope they will update it to a beefier stainless steel one on their upcoming lights.

Since I lost my H501, I have a need for an all flood ZL light. The H502/H502W is the logical light to get in so many ways. The new light should be an improvement over both the H501 and H51F with more brightness and better efficiency over the H51F while retaining the true flood beam and size of the H501. I can't wait.
    Last edited by davidt1; 10-10-2011 at 02:42 PM.

Okay creative geniuses, I've been wanting a removable diffuser for my Zebralight headlamps for a long time. A couple of weeks ago I ordered an 18mm UCL lens with Light Diffusion Film. My first attempt to make a holder for it (out of velcro) was partially successful. It spread the beam out pretty nicely and was easy to make - no sewing. The problem was that it is too bulky and not secure enough. I'm afraid the lens could pop out too easily. Anyone got any ideas for a holder for this lens? Also, I'm wondering if anyone has a source for plastic diffuser material like in the Surefire diffusers.

Anyway, here are some pics:

Flashaholic*

The SC51 was near the top of my short list of favorite EDCs. It has a great UI, with easy to access high mode - too easy actually. The only thing keeping it from being at the top of my EDC list was the fact that it would come on in my pocket when it bumped up against a pocketknife, keys, my phone or whatever else was sharing space with it. To make matters worse, with the great UI it has it will come on in high mode with the kind of quick bump the switch gets when dancing with other objects in your pocket. Since the high is really high for a single AA light, it also means that the battery gets run down fast while lighting up the inside of your pocket. Twice when I needed to use my light, it had very little juice left. It used to come on accidentally about once a day. Until...

Since I did the mod over two weeks ago, it hasn't come on once by accident, yet turning it on isn't any harder than it was before, although I haven't tried it with gloves. It is now my favorite EDC, passing a D10 [ramping w shortcuts] and a Peak Rainier. The mod will be reversible, though I can't imagine why I might want to do that!

It wasn't that hard once I figured out where to get the raw material. I needed thin wall aluminum tube of just the right diameter.... SKI POLES. I had a few second string ones I had saved - always knew they would come in handy. They taper near the bottom, giving me variable diameters.
    Cut a thin slice, sand it a little, some carefully placed epoxy - problem solved!

Regards,
    Thrifty

LED Thrift,

Good stuff there! I am glad it worked out well for you.

edc3,

The Zebralight angle head is so hard to add any mod to because it's not circular and there is no protrusion to attach anything to. I use DC-fix on my H51w. The thin film fits right inside on top of the lens. This is the easiest way to diffuse a ZL light, IMO. I have come up with a mod that might work for you. For this mod, a keyring and some elastic material are needed.

Cut an elastic string to fit and sew both end to fit through keyring. Elastic string is removable and keyring of different sizes can be used.

Glue diffuser on top of keyring and attach to light. Here I used a magnet to illustrate. There is some light leakage on the side. It shouldn't be a problem, I don't think.

My H51w providing hand-free light for this mod.
    Last edited by davidt1; 10-11-2011 at 03:17 PM.

Default Re: ZebraLight Mods (Money Clip Visor Holder)

Hey, as continuation from post 100 earlier in this thread, I've done the "money clip" version of a hat visor holder for the H501w. I found a black anodized aluminum money clip (very light weight for its size) and rigged it the same way as I did the glass door strike in the earlier thread with a trimmed down ZebraLight headlamp holder. Money clips are often overpriced, but this one was less than $5.

Although the money clip version looks a lot longer/bigger than the glass door strike version, it weighs the same (they're within a gram of each other) and it will also allow the headlamp to do a tailstand while still in the holder even though it looks like it would be unbalanced. This version holds to the hat visor firmly and could also be rigged with a magnet if the magnet were glued into place.

One of the photos below shows the door strike version next to the money clip version for perspective. As with the glass door strike version, I Super Glued the trimmed ZL lamp holder into place on the money clip and it seems to be holding firmly.

Last edited by varuscelli; 10-12-2011 at 01:47 PM.

Thanks davidt1! I think I'll try something like you did with the keyring. I've read that DC Fix is great, but I want something I can place and remove easily. Need to get some magnets too...

Good news!!!

You can use rubber bands for this mod if you don't like sewing.

Made an orange and a blue filters.

Compact and thin.

These colors make for great traffic alert or night light. I really like the orange.

I might have to make one of these with the rubber bands and some scotch tape.

Was thinking I could color it with a pen for different tints like swamp green
    Actually yellow highlighter might b nice.

The Orange Glow.

It's so soothing to look at. I love it.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast