Acebeam        
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: ZebraLight Mods

Unenlightened

Default Re: ZebraLight Mods

the mod with the cap is really good, i tried it an it worked well!

Made three more filters: red, green, and purple. I will EDC only the red and orange, as they seem to be popular colors for traffic/emergency signals.

There filters make a different nightlight every night. If you have small children, you can put on a different filter on your ZL light each night and use it as a nightlight for them.
    Last edited by davidt1; 10-13-2011 at 02:33 PM.
    EDC: ZL H52w, H502w

The only useful tool is the one you have with you when you need it.

Made a red filter for the Fenix E05 and tested the red and orange. Fenix: 28lm; H51w: 26lm

Fenix with red filter

H51w with red filter

H51w with orange filter

The camera failed to capture what the human eyes can see. All filters are brighter than the camera can show. Orange is the brightest and still preserves night vision.
    Last edited by davidt1; 10-15-2011 at 10:07 PM.

varuscelli,
    that money clip mod is pretty sweet. I wonder if there is a way to make the zebralight holder rotate on the money clip, then it would be great for also clipping other lights, and aiming.

Great stuff all! I especially like the mods for maximizing EDC use.
    hmmm, I think I may need a new Zebralight! just sold my H501 to a friend, and my H51 now has a permanent place on my bump hat at work....

Quote Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
    H51w with orange filter
    the orange looks sweet! what did you use for the filters if you don't mind me asking?
    Last edited by robostudent5000; 10-19-2011 at 03:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fixitman View Post
    varuscelli,
    that money clip mod is pretty sweet. I wonder if there is a way to make the zebralight holder rotate on the money clip, then it would be great for also clipping other lights, and aiming.
    Thanks, fixitman. I was originally playing with the idea of mounting the rubber holder to the money clip with something other than glue, but did want anything for instance going through the rubber and possibly scratching the exterior of the lamp. Something could be countersunk, but I worried a bit about digging too far into the rubber and perhaps weakening it. There are quite a few variations on the theme that would work, but I just went with a couple of different ones for simplicity sake.

Also, note that not all money clips would work for this kind of thing. Some are too tight to easily fit over something as thick as the visor of a baseball cap, but the aluminum one I found was nearly perfect in the amount of tension and gap (as was the stereo cabinet glass door strike).

I'd like to try the O-ring bumper. After google-ing for about half an hour now, it occurred to me that someone already has the answers.

anyone have the size and type of o-ring? And was it secured with clear silicone or something else?
    --How do I know what's too far? I've been there.
    --I don't make the same mistakes twice. I make all new ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordo View Post
    I'd like to try the O-ring bumper. After google-ing for about half an hour now, it occurred to me that someone already has the answers.

anyone have the size and type of o-ring? And was it secured with clear silicone or something else?
    Sorry I don't know the size. I just picked one that fit out of a box of dollar store O-ring I have. You just need to make sure that the O-ring is not touching the switch. You can use any glue you like. I used super glue gel.
    Last edited by davidt1; 10-20-2011 at 01:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by robostudent5000 View Post
    the orange looks sweet! what did you use for the filters if you don't mind me asking?
    I used dollar store binders and a food container for the red filter.

Start here and read down a few posts.
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...t=#post3757533
    "People don't plan to fail, they fail to plan."

The O-ring is a #111. My local hardware store had them. Lowes did not.

I finally got to Lowe's and found the exact size o-ring you recommend.
    the super glue gel worked like a charm.

Thanks for the tips.
    --How do I know what's too far? I've been there.
    --I don't make the same mistakes twice. I make all new ones.

I finally got to Lowe's and found the exact size o-ring you recommend.
    the super glue gel worked like a charm.

Thanks for the tips.
    I am glad the fix works for you.

Duct tape, or specifically Gorilla tape, is something everyone should EDC. It takes little space and can do so much. With some duct tape and a magnet you can turn your ZL headlamp into an overhead or utility light on any surface or wall.

Tear a small piece just enough to enclose the magnet

Apply tape to any surface you want and attach light

Note that the swiveling clip on the ZL light makes it possible to adjust the beam to any desired angle.
    Last edited by davidt1; 11-02-2011 at 09:28 AM.

I did the magnet mod to my H31FW. Just put a bit of super glue on the bottom and it works like a charm. For those wondering it's a 3/4" diameter magnet. It's also ridiculously strong. Here it is hanging on a clothes rack in a closet.

jonesy,

Looking good! The mod that is.

Quote Originally Posted by jonesy View Post
    I did the magnet mod to my H31FW. Just put a bit of super glue on the bottom and it works like a charm. For those wondering it's a 3/4" diameter magnet. It's also ridiculously strong. Here it is hanging on a clothes rack in a closet.
    Just for an extra bit of consideration, take a look at posts number 74 to 79 in this thread where similar magnet use seemed to cause eventual problems. It might not happen with your light with the one magnet, but it's good stuff to keep in mind in case anything crops up. davidt1 should be able to elaborate better than I can, but the concern might have been with use of more than one magnet.

I wouldn't worry about the battery being pulled away from the head with just one magnet. All of this doesn't mean anything to me now, as I don't glue a magnet to the tailcap anymore since I have discovered that the swiveling clip is a better medium for magnet attachment.
    Last edited by davidt1; 11-08-2011 at 09:38 PM.

Default Re: ZebraLight SC600 Wand

Not a headlamp mod, but a film canister that's a perfect fit for the head of an SC600 as a diffuser wand.

No modification of the canister needed -- just slip it on, and it's a very snug fit.

This is a Fujifilm film canister. I haven't bought film in years, but I have a bunch of these left over from years of photography. Anyone who wants one of these canisters could probably easily pick up an empty one from any one-hour photo lab. Most of those places still process film (yeah, some people still do use film) and the person working the counter could likely easily pull one of these out of their trash or recycle bin for anybody looking for one.

Last edited by varuscelli; 11-22-2011 at 10:58 AM.

Default Re: ZebraLight Mods a la DavidT1

Nice!

All of this doesn't mean anything to me now, as I don't glue a magnet to the tailcap anymore since I have discovered that the swiveling clip is a better medium for magnet attachment.
    Hmmm...that seems like an oddly indifferent response given your previous enthusiasm about variations in styles of mods (I mean the "all of this doesn't mean anything to me now" part).

But regarding the magnet on the clip as you've been showing it, are you gluing the magnet to the clip?

I meant to say the magnet/battery thing doesn't apply to me anymore.

The clip is metal.

I meant to say the magnet/battery thing doesn't apply to me anymore.

The clip is metal.
    Yeah, I realize the clip is metal.

I guess from the reply you're allowing the magnet to do the work rather than gluing it to the clip (which I of course understand as the easiest way to go about it). But I can also see relying on the magnetic attraction alone as causing potential problems in that the magnet might often choose to stay with the other surface rather than coming away with the clip when you make the move to separate the lamp from the surface to which the light is attached -- thus potentially making the magnet more prone to scratching the metal surface to which it's attached. This would especially be the case with the more powerful Neodymium magnets where there could potentially be a quite a bit of extra effort involved in removing the magnet from the other surface. The more I play with this kind of magnet attachment (especially with the Neodymium magnets), the more I feel that a solid attachment to the lamp holder (rather than just the magnetic attraction) is likely a better way to go. Of course, then you're stuck with having the magnet permanently attached...so finding the right balance that works for each of us is the thing that has to be done.

Borrowing a bit from davidt1's ingenuity (but with a twist) and adding to the SC600 with film canister diffuser wand and a 3/4-inch neodymium magnet, I was playing with this setup for a bit. The interesting thing is the 140 grams of weight the magnet is holding. I slipped the magnet beneath the clip on the SC600 to make it easier to pull away from the attachment point (and with a neodymium magnet, this can certainly be a bit of an issue at times). The magnet slips under the clip without any flexing of the clip (there's just the right space beneath the clip for the magnet to slide right under). This'll light a room like a light bulb with the diffuser attached.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by varuscelli View Post
    Borrowing a bit from davidt1's ingenuity (but with a twist) and adding to the SC600 with film canister diffuser wand and a 3/4-inch neodymium magnet, I was playing with this setup for a bit. The interesting thing is the 140 grams of weight the magnet is holding. I slipped the magnet beneath the clip on the SC600 to make it easier to pull away from the attachment point (and with a neodymium magnet, this can certainly be a bit of an issue at times). The magnet slips under the clip without any flexing of the clip (there's just the right space beneath the clip for the magnet to slide right under). This'll light a room like a light bulb with the diffuser attached.
    Quote Originally Posted by varuscelli View Post

Thanks varuscelli (and davidt1) for all of your posts, and for sharing your right brain thinking in a potentially left brain centric forum. My question to you now is, has your ingenuity made it that much more difficult to justify getting the ZL H600? I suppose since your SC600 is cool white, you could justify it more easily by getting the H600w. Of course, that assumes the H600's ever become available to folks here in the U.S. (just kidding ZebraLight - you're in an enviable but difficult position, having so many people anxiously awaiting new products from your company). Come to think of it, ZebraLight is raiding our wallets similar to the way that Apple™ does.

Quote Originally Posted by tony613 View Post
    My question to you now is, has your ingenuity made it that much more difficult to justify getting the ZL H600?
    Well...for my part, I've been a pretty big headlamp fan for three or four years now, although I didn't get my first ZebraLight until this year. It's hard to beat the ability to use a light hands free, whether inside or outside, and the exceptional versatility of the ZebraLight headlamps seems to make them even more desirable than a lot of the more purely dedicated headlamps.

I like to play with stuff like this makeshift diffuser wand for the SC600, but it doesn't really replace the broader functionality of a good headlamp. I'm not even that big a fan of diffuser wands since they tend to be a bit hard on the eyes when you look in their general direction, but you never know when something like this might come in handy (just knowing you can do it easily if you want to). But no -- it wouldn't get in the way of considering something like the H600.

These 18650 headlamps (whichever brand appeals to you) just seem to open up so many possibilities for nice, bright, long-running and hands-free lighting. I hope the H600 ends up being a well-received headlamp (that it does what it should do and does it well, hopefully living up to reasonable expectations). I guess we'll know before too long.

Default Re: Zebralight Mods

This is an awesome thread. I have been inspired to get an H51 over the SC51 due to its versatility and adaptability. The magnets and filters/diffusers are especially awesome.

I was not sure if I wanted to get a flood H51 or regular, but knowing that I can make a flood light easily I think my decision has been made.
    Last edited by michman; 11-12-2011 at 07:33 AM.

This is good old fashion ingenuity all while being resourceful, I think we sometimes loose our creativity when we can just buy something all the time. Less encourage us to think. Very nice job!

There is also the H502 if you can wait. It will have the small size and true flood beam and H501 and the brightness and efficiency of the X-ML emitter.

For those who want to use a Velcro headband to minimize the bouncing when wearing your ZL headlamp, this product is excellent for the task. It's thinner, cheaper and more versatile than the Niteize headband.

Cost little over $5 at Walmart and 4 headbands can be made out of it. It can be cut to the exact length you want and the rest can used for other tasks.

Made in the US

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast