Kx2 head on lx2 body.

tonkem

Enlightened
My question is this. Will the tailcap of the lx2 affect the normal runtime of the kx2 head from my e2l? I much prefer the operation of the tail on the lx2 to the e2l, but want the lower output and runtime of the kx2 head from the e2l. I own both lights and made the head swap. The lx2 body with kx2 head appears to have same brightness of the e2l and same 2 stage operation, but wondered if the resistance and current draw of the tail would affect runtime? Thanks for your help.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
On high (with LX2 swith either fully depressed or twisted all the way down) there is no resistor in the circuit so the runtime and brightness will be exactly the same. On low switch setting the resistor will lower output and lengthen runtime on either KX2 head setting if it fires up (it may not on low since the KX2 likes over 3V). Does yours fire up the low mode on a soft switch press (low-low)?
I tried this on a McE2S (same UI as the L1, A2, LX2, etc) before, and it was interesting to play with, but I preferred the KX on a clicky and a single mode head on McE2S and L1.

tonkem

Enlightened
Yes the kx2 head fires up on the soft depress of the switch on low. So the resistor on low could damage the kx2 head?

Thanks for the response.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, the resistor will not damage the head. It only makes the head think the batteries are low, drop out of regulation, and run direct drive, which is very low after the resistor drops the voltage. I think the KX2 is buck only (since it won't run on 3V) so it is OK to run it that way. The only reason I didn't keep mine on that was because I have several single level heads that needed the dual level switch.