Best Home Flashlight for a non flashaholic

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
After the NYC blackout, a lot of folks have asked me "what flashlight do I get for XXX". A few people have bought ARC AAAs on my word (and waiting for them at this point - shipping mistake from a vendor....)

The question is, I was just asked, "Hey, what's a good flashlight to keep around the house". Right now, he has the classic 2D cell Ray-o-vac

Now, let's think about it. The price should be "resonable", I don't think it should require Lithium cells - Might be OK for a flashaholic, but for the average?

So, what to buy?

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
KC2IXE said:
The question is, I was just asked, "Hey, what's a good flashlight to keep around the house". Right now, he has the classic 2D cell Ray-o-vac.

Now, let's think about it. The price should be "resonable", I don't think it should require Lithium cells - Might be OK for a flashaholic, but for the average?
So, what to buy?

[/ QUOTE ]
What's "reasonable"?
Quality and pricewise, my guess is for 1 grade step-up from that RayOvac (and Only one) would be a Maglight. They're widely and deeply discounted and pretty reliable.

Depending on your idea of reasonable, again, another good value brand IMO is the Streamlight. Brightguy is a vry good online dealer.

I'm sure there will be more very good suggestions from other lumen addicts who hang around here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Something that runs on C cells may be a good choice. When everyone runs to the store to buy batteries in a crisis, they grab D and AA. C's are usually plentiful...

How about a Streamlight Twin Task 3-C? LED and Incand. all in one. Runs about $30 from Brightguy.

d'mo

Enlightened
Quickbeam,

I respectfully disagree. Here (Rochester, NY), all C and D batteries were sold out. AAs and AAAs were all over the shelves.

IMO, the best non-flashaholic light is one that gives decent brightness and long run time on a single, commonly available battery. I would stick to the Arc AAA or CMG Infinity.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
cmg infinity ultra, arc aaa, attitude, clipmate, SL4aaled (the whole family loves this one) or the twin task 3aa or 3c.

might even recommend a headlamp (even a cheapo led) or a head strap which may fit the infinity/attitude.

Bob

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
How about an approx. 20 buck Brinkmann 2D 4LED?

It's kinda big and clunky, but we are talking home light.

It is switchable from 4 to 2 LEDs with a longer runtime as a result. And it should easily do the time period of the blackout on one set of batts, but get some more when there is NO emergency. It can be had at Walmart.

And the 2 cell Rayovac, if one of the Industrial lights with the textured reflector, ain't no slouch! I have a swivel head 2D that has one of the nicest beams I've seen. A 3D can be had for less than 10 bucks at Lowes.

Available batts, phooey! Anyone should have at least two refills for the main light! Home Depot has 12 C or D Energizers for just under 10 bucks.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
It pains me to say this. For a person who doesn't give a damm about a flashlight the best for THEM may be Maglight. I've seen the Twin pack 3-D and Mininmag go for under $20.

Sigh
GregR

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Think the SL 4AA 7Led might be a good start.. 1 set of batts would last ages... else maybe one of the SL TTs or a PT would be cheap and good enuff IMHO...

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eveready 2 LED Folding Lantern is super in a power outage. Shortest runtime is 100 hours with both LEDs on. Uses 4 AA alkalines. Has a hanger attached.

Other than that, a Lightwave 2000 would be good. Maybe put a Verslux PR-2 LED bulb in that 2D for longer runtime and decent light output.

Any of the new Dorcy LED flashlights, if they can be found.

Versalux PR-2 in a 2 C or 2 D Mag-Lite: good light output and has the advantage of candle mode.

Another good one is the PT Tec 40 and the Koehler-Brightstar LED-PR4 (similar to Versalux, but for 4 alkaline). Both are available from Brightguy. In total darkness, it is more than bright enough for around the house, and performs reasonably outside. I bought this combination to see how well it would work (ordered the day before the outage: figures). The light is $15 and the LED bulb is $10.

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would advise to ask what do they want the light for? I have found when talking to the so called "average consumer" [read that non-flashaholic] their main ideas for average needs, 3 common criterias are stated.

1-common and easily availabe power source=batteries that can be had at most any store that is nearby [so that they can rush out at the last minute or AFTER something occurs when they realize they had let the previous batteries get run down and they don't have any more]
2-readily available light=read that as a flashlight/light source that they can buy while doing their regular shopping or do not have to go too far out of the way to aquire
3-low cost [it's only a flashlight! why do I need to spend so much?!?]
When non-CPF types see common lights at Home Depot for a buck or two, they balk at $30 for a light source, they will tell you that you are crazy for spending that kind of money on a flashlight. Most folks consider $15-20 an expensive light [LOL, if only our light needs could be met at such little cost]. Also due to consumer brainwashing and conditioning, the M*gL*te is usually looked to as the sturdy do all to use.

I usually ask them what do they want the light for? I reccommend the Ever-ready folding flourescent [$13 @ Home Depot] for all around lighting so that some semblence of normality is present when the house hold is dark. You can choose using either one or two tubes to regulate runtime between the 20 or 40 hours the maker claims.
At Wally World there is a latern/spot light that runs on 4 D cells for 5 or 6 bucks. Seen them made by Everready and DOrcy.
I always emphasize to buy and store spare batteries. Usually after folks end up getting gouged or experiencing a run on such items they learn to stock up. Regardless of what ill form of torchie they own, none of them are any good if they can't power them. So even with those I know who refuse to use anything more than the very inexpensive plastic 2D cells or think that all their needs are met because they have two Mini-M*gs in the house, they can at least see the logic in having spare batteries.

After that it kinda depends on the person, if they are willing to listen, even if they don't agree, I will tell them about led lights. If nothing else there are the led headlights I have seen at WalMart and other outlets that can give longer runtimes, be worn or hand held and can be placed face up on a tabletop for area lighting.
It all comes down to the mindset of the person asking for advice and how much effort/consideration [and money] they want to put into it.
Me personally, I reccommend a good led light for longer runtime, an incandescent light for when throw is needed and spares to power then all. The next optional would be lantern/area type light. Sorry, but from personal experience I cannot see just one single light to fill all needs. But lights are like guns, the best one to own is the one within your grasp when you need it.

Just my $0.02.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Webley, Good asessment!

I love that Ever-ready folding lantern. I found them last winter and bought three of them. I gave two to my parents and kept one for myself since I already have another lantern. My parents have two lanterns and two maglights.

If my folks are representative of most people they thought they are all set with their twin pack of plastic flashlights that included 4 heavy-duty D cells all for $4.99

The only other light nobody else has mentioned is one of those plug in the wall, power fail flashlights. They come on when the power goes out, batteries will last for about 45 mins and cost $25. The problem I have in recommending them is that is often the only light some people buy. When a power fail lasts for longer than 45 mins, they are left sitting in the dark. But they are easy to find and great to use, to find the rest of your lights.

GregR

DougNel

Newly Enlightened
I think the answer is one "flood" and one "spot" light. For the flood I would recommend the $8 Energizer folding LED lantern from Wal Mart. Long run time, AA batteries, cheap. You then want the "spot" to use the same type of batteries (don't want confusion here) and I would go with the Steamlight ProPoly 4AA 7LED for about $25. I would point out that since you are getting this for possible "emergencies" you don't want something that is going to leave you in the dark with a bad bulb, and the price is not that bad to get that reliability. You MAY even use it at other times! With a big stock of AA's, enough to last you weeks, you have spent under $40 and have a dependable, long term source of emergency light......

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
I respectfully disagree. Here (Rochester, NY), all C and D batteries were sold out. AAs and AAAs were all over the shelves.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just goes to show you that you should always have spare batteries on hand in your house! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

In any case, I'll stick by the TT-3C recommendation and throw in an additional option: Princeton Tec Tec-40 which runs on AA's and is cheaper up front.

Every non-flashaholic I've introduced the Tec-40 to has loved it.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the people I care about, I give Everleds as "minor" stocking stuffer type gifts (with free install, of course!). After all, how much can a tiny little bulb cost? This way, they don't know the cost, have 24 hrs bright runtime that won't fail them, and they can enjoy the coolness factor without getting caught up in price or flashaholism. "Just something I'd like you to have in an emergency..." They don't have to think about anything whatsoever, just use and enjoy. Nothing to see here, just a typical D cell flashlight, move along....

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
webley445 said:
... I reccommend the Ever-ready folding flourescent [$13 @ Home Depot] for all around lighting so that some semblence of normality is present when the house hold is dark. You can choose using either one or two tubes to regulate runtime between the 20 or 40 hours the maker claims.

[/ QUOTE ]

That light has become my favorite lantern. It's so bright and well designed that I no longer have to haul out my 8xDs. I have *many* of them.

Brightnorm

660005.jpg

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Webley, Double A and Brightnorm have a good idea there! I got myself one last time at Walmart. It is nice.

I STILL say, while you are at Walmart getting the lantern, grab yourself a Brinkmann Rebel2 2D 4LED flashlight (or at least a Rebel 2AA 1LED). Good runtimes for cheap. And a suprising amount of light, particularly the 2D 4LED.

If you go for the 2AA, you may want to unscrew the bezel... I find it a much nicer light without the magnifying lense.

I like the 2D just as it is!

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
brightnorm-

Yea that's the gem! I too like the fact that it only uses 4-D cells.

Non-Flashaholics like my folks aren't inclined to keep alot of spare batteries on hand. When you have one of those lanterns that uses 6 or 8 batteries you can get into a tight spot when your into the second or third day of an outage.

GregR

RevDavid

Enlightened
I would go with something with a lithium battery, as it will hold its charge for years, and will rarely be found dead or with batteries leaking when you need it. Also the spare batteries can be stored for several years without trouble. How many times have you picked up a C or D cell light only to find it dead in the dark?
Also, the quality of light will have a lot to do with reliability. It might be worth spending a little extra for the assurance of performance!
David <><

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have that folding lanterns little brother (uses 2 LED's.) Wal-mart sells them for $10-$12 I think. Takes 4 AA batteries. How many times have I replaced the batteries in 2 years, I think once. That was only because I left it on for a few days in my closet and I forgot about it.

No good for long range or throw, but good to light up a room in a black out or such so you don't step on things.

I think the package said 100 hours on one LED or 50 on two.

Flashaholism is spreading (so far for friends and family, 2 SL TT 1L's for my parents (black for them, I got a titanium one), one for a family friend who saw mine and loved it, also asked to buy a SL TT 3C, 3 CMG Ultra Infinity's going to godparents and cousin.)

As said above, non flashaholics don't ever think about spending $10, $20, even $30 for a flashlight. I myself thought that a few years ago, woohoo maglite 6D and 2 aa, all I ever need.

Now the bug is in me; in front of me is a silver PM6 in its holster, titanium 1L, SL Scorpion, 2AA mag with Chisco power lanyard, arc aaa LE hanging on my neck, Energizer 2 LED folding reading light/lantern, and a fresh box of CR 123's from Kodak. A 6D maglite is in the kitchen and a 2D angle head MX-991 is near my bed with a diassembled 4aaa Energizer double barrel awaiting a P61 lamp and 6V mod. Easily over $100 in flashlights sitting on my desk.

My family will think I'm nuts when I buy that SF M6.

Also it just leaves more lights for us to buy, lol.

Thank you CPF!