AA equivalent of the Inova X5

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
they used to sell something like this on DX but it reviewed poorly and is now sold out.

What exactly are you looking to get out of this light? Because you can probably get it out of the right single led light.

MK9

Newly Enlightened
I want to put together emergency go bags for family members.
I want the flashlight to be around $30, tough, simple (on\off), about 50 or so lumens and 2 AA powered.

Earlier today read a this post.
In it, Lee1959 mentioned the Inova X1 (which I have but do not like) and Inova X5. The X5 specs are about what I'm looking. A trip to my local Raley's reminds me why I do not CR123 powered flashlights.

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
I would look at the ICON Rogue 2 and the Inova X2.

Peak LED Solutions could make you something a bit more pricey ($50-60?) but absolutely bomb proof.

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast

MK9

Newly Enlightened
I am going to clarify what I'm looking for and why.
In this thread:
I am looking for a single output of about 40-50 lumen AA LED light for an emergency bag for the trunk of a car and\or closet.

I am researching other things to put in it but this is about the light I described above.

At this time, my wife and kids (only my teenagers not my 8 year old :thumbsup:) think I am a nutty guy for thinking of these things, they will not allow me to show them the proper usage of multi level flashlights or diaster prepardeness of any sort. The story of plight and despair from the Katrinas and even the gas line explosion in San Bruno, CA (where we hail from) are not enough to make then think we should be prepared.
In the case that I am not around or incapacitated when diaster stricks, everything must be very simple and easy to use.

I like the Fenix E21 with it's 11 hour runtime at 48 Lumens but it's a dual output light.

I checked out Peaks's website and was not comfortable with it. They should take notes from 4sevens.

I love my Leatherman Wave and they have excellent warranty service. 10 years ago I cut through a live wire :oops:, that I thought was not live, and melted the wire cutter portion. About a couple months ago I honestly explained to them the circumstances. They said no problem and replaced it with a brand new Wave. But I am not impresed with their lights. If i were to get another single AAA light, it would the another E01. I've had one on my nightstand for about a year with the same battery and use it a lot.

I like the Rogue but it's dual level. Although, I may get one for myself . :sssh:

I like the Solarforce. I am going to research that further.

Thanks guys

qazx

Newly Enlightened
i got the x5 years ago and it was terrible..., dim, heavily blue tinted and it cost a fortune, probably the worst light i ever brought

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe the duracell Daylite 2xAA or ,its only 1xAA but the fenix e10.

Also maybe we've overlooked the obvious and a simple maglite 2xAA led would be good.

Last edited:

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
i got the x5 years ago and it was terrible..., dim, heavily blue tinted and it cost a fortune, probably the worst light i ever brought

The newest Inova X5 is much brighter and whiter than the prior versions.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think carrot got it right. Call Peak and ask them. Maybe they have a few old Kilimanjaros sitting around, single mode, multi 5mm LED, AA body.

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
MK9,

I don't think you should worry too much about the E21 being dual level. The UI is simply tighten or loosen the bezel; not that hard to figure out and get used to. The E21 looks like a tank of a light, it's very similar to the TK20 in its build from what I've seen, so it would be a good choice, although it might still be a little pricey for what you're looking for.

I'm in the same boat as you, and also live in the bay area... Since daylight savings is not too far off I'm putting together bug out bags for my family too, and want to have them in place for the time change. I'm attracted to the E21 but am also looking for other options that will be durable and high quality, but still less expensive (although I don't think I'm willing to go DX less expensive!).

T45

Enlightened
Target is carrying these in stock at most stores for less $20.00, and probably closer to $17.00 out the door, YMMV. They are about 30 to 35 Lumens, see reviews on link, have good clear center spot with some flood, run for about 2.5 hours on 1 AA, single mode, tail clickie switch, unfortunately NOT water proof, but have a pocket clip. I like mine a great deal more than my old version Inova X5. Great for EDC and simple to use for anyone.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/194299&highlight=energizer&page=5

Last edited:

BarryG

Enlightened
What about the Inova X2? It's a 2xAA and single level. If you already like the brand, why switch? I think it's brighter than what you want but has about a 3 hour runtime.
If you liked the X5 but not the price of batteries, you can order online for about $1 per batt.

Barry

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Target has a couple of cheap energizer LED lights. 1AA for $16, 2AA for $20 single mode. For $30 you could get 2 of them.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast

I got the X5 years ago and it was just like that. On the other hand, that was before the power LED invasion, and my closest alternatives were the Dorcy 1xAAA predating Nichia white LEDs, and a Mini-Mag. That X5 got me through Hurricane Charlie (well, Charlie's cleanup) and its two brothers back in 2004... the $40 X5 was the only flashlight still available in retail stores in any quantity, and I had to drive hours to a Discovery Channel store in my only moment of free time that month.

Totally worth it. I now own three of the things, including the fairly scarce UV and sterile HA-3 military contract versions.

ama230

Enlightened
i would like to comment on this as i have been looking for a similar light as the inova x5.

I had one years ago but got stolen from my vehicle and then just gave up.

Then I came across this site and had found the photon proton from LRI.

I had first bought the photon pro as this is the cree xre version which is the newest one and absolutely loved it!!! I love the simple interface of the photon freedom and had to see it in a thrower.

Then I had found the old one on review from light reviews and had fell in love as I love the nichia leds and it has the photon freedom interface and awesome runtime on just one aa. In my honest opinion there is not a better light for the price as far as functionality and price.

It has the multi led array like the x5 but doesnt use the odd batteries, as this is just a preference. Great warm tint from the nichia ds leds and nice clip and sheath included. Its hard to find but with a little searching its definately worth it as i do not know why they discontinued it.

Hope this helps,
ERic