HDS EDC UI - double-click behavior

Should double-click behavior be changed? Please read the first post before voting.

• Yes - make double-click select B, triple-click select C and quadruple-click select D.

Votes: 14 16.5%
  • No - keep double-click toggling between B and C.

Votes: 71 83.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HDS_Systems

Enlightened
We are always working on new projects and one recent project has caused me to go back and rethink the current user interface that dates from 2002. I have made several small improvements (additions) in the user interface in the last many years and I am thinking about another change. However, this time it involves changing how double-click works. I would like to hear your opinions.

If you need to refresh your memory of how the current HDS Systems EDC (Ra Clicky) UI works, please take a minute and read the EDC User's Guide.

The difficulty with the current interface is that there is no direct way to go to B or C when the light is on - you can only toggle. Depending on where you are and how you got there, it will take either one or two double-clicks to get from where you are to B or C.

The proposed change is that double-click always selects B, triple-click always selects C and quadruple-click always selects D. This eliminates any need to remember prior states.

What do you think about the proposed charge? Please vote in the poll and then provide details as to why you think it is a good or bad change.

Even if everyone likes it - like the suggested changes to Burst operation - it will not happen soon. Fundamental changes take time to test, plan and roll out.

Henry.

nbp

Flashaholic
I choose option C. I like the proposed change. Much simpler. However I don't like the idea of a quad click. Too many clicks. I'm brainstorming now on some other way to set the commands that doesn't involve a quad click. :sick2:

Like double click for B, triple for C, click hold for D, and double click hold for A. Is that better or just as complicated? Maybe I'm overanalyzing. But three clicks is already quite a few, and four is just too many.

Last edited:

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't like quad clicks either, triple clicks are already a lot and U find myself only do it if I really think the brightness I programmed to it is the best one to use, if not I select either brighter or less brighter.

The programming modus must be changed to allow a double click with a PH instead of 4 clicks...

The toggling system for double click isn't a bad solution after all! :wave:

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I voted no. Quite happy with the current configuration and don't see the need for 4 clicks which is IMHO a click too much. However, I kind of like the idea to be able to SWITCH ON the light from OFF in the following sequence...

A) click + PHR
B) click
C) double click
D) triple click

Double click toggles between B & C since a single click would be reserved for switching the light on/off. Much like the current UI except that this time round we are able to access the modes directly from off.

Quelalumieresoit

Newly Enlightened
Greetings from BELGIUM!

As far as I'm concerned, the present UI is pretty good.
I don't like the quadruple-click idea: much too complicated, with the risk of going unintentionaly inside the Option Menu (3 clicks-press-hold).
So, please, keep it rock-solid and simple...

Moonshadow

Enlightened
Agree, please keep it the way it is.

I have mine programmed with the two most used settings on B and C, and find it really useful to be able to switch back and forth between them with a double-click. I can flick quickly between the two states using the SAME command.

Having to double-click to go one way, and triple-click to switch back would be intensely annoying. And quad-clicks :eek:

You'd also have the problem that double-click would sometimes achieve nothing (i.e. if already in state B). Very very annoying - please don't change it !!!

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the idea of being able to directly select either B or C but I don't see myself doing 4 clicks. I use my clicky everyday and I often use it with gloves. Even with a tactical tailcap, 4 clicks would not be very easy with my thick rubber gloves...

Connor

Enlightened
I have actually thought about this before, because sometimes it is indeed a bit annoying to double click twice to get where you want to be .. or because you don't know whether you will end up in setting B or C first.
But, like others said, triple click is already a lot of clicking and quadruple would be just too much.

I have another suggestion, though: How about making the light always go to B when you double click from A or D (perhaps a new menu option for this would be the way to go: 1. Always got to B first, 2. Always go to C first, 3. Remember last level) ? At least this way you know in which level you will end up.

Last edited:

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like the current User interface. Double clicking is no probem for me, but I think quad clicking would be.

Brian1911

Newly Enlightened
I would love to keep it the same but this time with 1 click out comes 240 lumens in a tactical beam. Now when can I buy that?:sssh:

PScalfano

Newly Enlightened
I also think quadruple click would be cumbersome. What about PHR PHR (double press hold release)?

Harry999

Enlightened
I voted no but I like pjandyho's idea. If you have factory defaults set it is difficult to get to the low mode without going through brighter modes. My solution is to have one of my High CRI Clickys set on low modes at all levels except A. So I use this one in the evenings when I am trying to preserve night vision. Sticking an FO4 diffuser on also helps.

It would be nice to be able to select the mode you want from off immediately.

I agree with some of the other posters that quadruple click would be too much.

I voted no. Quite happy with the current configuration and don't see the need for 4 clicks which is IMHO a click too much. However, I kind of like the idea to be able to SWITCH ON the light from OFF in the following sequence...

A) click + PHR
B) click
C) double click
D) triple click

Double click toggles between B & C since a single click would be reserved for switching the light on/off. Much like the current UI except that this time round we are able to access the modes directly from off.

mikra

Newly Enlightened
I think a quadrupleclick is to much.

I don't really care if I get preset b or c.
Most of the time I want the setting which is nearest to the previous output.

Example:
A: 100 L
B: 10 L
C: 1 L
D: 0.1 L

D --- double click ---> C
A --- double click ---> B

I think that would improve the UI.

Moonshadow

Enlightened
I have another suggestion, though: How about making the light always go to B when you double click from A or D
Again I prefer the way it works at the moment.

I have B and C set to the levels I'll use most often. Let's assume I'm working in a situation where Level C is the most appropriate. If I switch briefly to full (rustle in the bushes, perhaps ?) then I want to come back to the level I was just using, not be dumped to level B (which we've already established isn't the best level for that situation) and have to double-click again to get back to where I was.

Thanks for suggesting making the behaviour chooseable, but for me this would just add to the number of unused menu options.

Chaz

Newly Enlightened
I agree with the majority that 4 clicks is too many.

The need for two sets of 2 clicks seems only necessary if you are in the low (D) mode. The level that results from 2 clicks from low can be set with the brightness option (I set it for the next lowest light level), and it is not inconvenient to go back and forth between the two middle modes (B and C) with a double click. The 4 click option would be a lot more inconvenient.

Note: When in mode B or C, I always go to the level that I want to return to when I go to low with 3 clicks. Thus I know where 2 clicks from the D mode will go, and do not need to remember what the last mode (B or C) was prior to going to low.

Don't fix it if it aint broke!

Last edited:

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
I voted to keep it the way it is my only recommendation would be to make a way that when I double clicked from A or D that I could always return to the setting of my choosing instead of the light remembering where it was last (B or C).

I would like to be able to always know what level will be produced each time I give the light a command and right now, a double click from A or D produces a 50/50 result.

Thank you for asking!

Point Source

Newly Enlightened
I had a whole post written that presented an idea for a UI that allowed the accessing of any mode from off, and then I hit refresh and read mikra's post:

I think a quadrupleclick is to much.

I don't really care if I get preset b or c.
Most of the time I want the setting which is nearest to the previous output.

Example:
A: 100 L
B: 10 L
C: 1 L
D: 0.1 L

D --- double click ---> C
A --- double click ---> B

I think that would improve the UI.

Yep, that's even better. That gets my vote.

experimentjon

Newly Enlightened
Personally, I think that mikra's suggestion may be a bit too confusing for me, since I'd need to keep track of what mode I'm in and click then think about where it is going to go. Beautiful thing about the Quark is that it always does exactly what I think it's going to do when I click.

However, quadruple click is just a scary thought. I'd almost never use D if I had to click so many times. Triple click is already quite a few.

I like the current UI. :)