Solarforce drop fit G2?

look171

Newly Enlightened
Hello, I am new here.

Can anyone tell me if the Solarforce LC-XPG cree R5 drop in will fir a surefire G2? My plumber has the same light, and it is so much brighter. Night and day difference. We can see clear across the craw space with his. He said something about a drop in. CAn anyone help? After using his, I am ready to get a couple of new lights. Any suggestions, or should I just do the drop-ins if it fits. Best bang for the buck.

Thanks,

Jeff

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
It will fit. I've encountered some problems with the longer spring where the head would not screw down completely - this may be the case with yours, but it will still function fine. also, the spring is sometimes too wide, and you need to do some minor tweaking to get good contact.

Melson

Newly Enlightened
I hate to bump an old thread but this is important. Csshih what do you define minor tweaking? any pictures available? I just cannot get this light to work.

Batteries facing positive side up or down? Spring on or off of the p60? head screwed down as tight as possible?

Any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: I just got it to work but it isn't responsive as my incandescent drop in when turning on or off. also the head doesn't screw on anyway so I guess I still have a problem or two! :)

Last edited:

red02

Enlightened
The G2 I've got only tolerates the nailbender dropin I have in there. Sometimes it seems like there is a contact problem and other times its ok. The dereelight dropin I had before wasn't any better. I tried copper tape and all sorts of contact rings to no avail. Hope you have better luck.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Malkoff dropin in a Surefire G2. I also replaced the head with an aluminum head to help dissipate the heat from the LED. The Solarforce LC-XPG cree R5 should work, but you might need an outer spring. You might have to bend a spring--or not.

Tatjanamagic

Enlightened
I am proud owner of surfire G2 nitrolon.

I can confirm that solarforce drop ins fits perfect in my g2 nitrolon. Not only them. Solarforce masterpiece turbo head fits on it also. So if you want monster thrower buy masterpiece pro1 turbo head with r2 emitter, and get better capacity cr 123 batteries...

When U R putting drop ins into G2 U must watch few things:

- That pill is well clamped into its small reflector
- That spring is pushed up closely to the end of small reflector
- U will get contact but U must screw tightly whole flashlight head, so that tail button functions properly and easy

When I have a chance to talk about this flashlight I must say it is excellent and only one big minus. It can not take bloody 18650 cell.

Last edited:

sunfire

Newly Enlightened
I put a solarforce drop-in in my G2 all nitrolon years ago. (You need to remove the outer spring)
Although the fit is perfect, sometimes the flashlight did not turn on.I had to shake the flashlight to turn on...:thumbsdow :twak:
Overheating is a issue too. :mad: :poof:
So I bought a Malkoff M60LL. PERFECT!:twothumbs:sleepy:

Midnight Oil

Enlightened
The end of the pill must be in solid contact with the metal sleeve inside the G2 body. I personally have not had much luck with dropins in the G2, especially multi-mode ones. Inconsistent contact causes skipping of the highest mode.

whalebird

Newly Enlightened
FIRST POST. I've been lurking here for a while and finally signed up. I'm just getting into flashlight mods beyond the TerraLux/niteyze to my Streamlight and mini maglights.
I just ordered a M61 Malkoff for my G2(Al head) and have been curious about the fit and heatsink ability. In general, most people seem to be OK with the Malkoff drop ins, but was hopeing to get some advice.
I would like a clicky tailswitch...what's a good one?
Also, should I consider an Al body for heat purposes (and 18650s) or will I be OK with what I have?
Thanks again.