New LED in P60 drop in?

stang1911

Newly Enlightened
My R2 led in a p60 drop in burnt out in the middle and I was wondering if the led can be replaced with another one or am I just better off buying another P60 drop in?

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think it's worth replacing just the led. Generally led failure ends up being due to a regulator failure. I mean even when over driven with adequate cooling you're looking at a minimum few thousand of hours of use.

When you mean burned out though does that mean doesn't light? Then you could test the led by connecting a multimeter or 3v battery across the terminals and which should light it up. Which means generally a wiring or regulator problem, definitely still better to buy a new module. Or did your phosphor turn brown and and output significantly diminish? Browning phosphor generally means an overheating problem which means you're likely to burn another led or drop-in. So it may still be better to buy a lower power drop-in.

Either way you can see it's better to buy a drop-in unless you're pretty savvy with working on electronics or want to use this as a learning experience with no guarantee of success. Either way buy a new drop in, whether you buy the regulator or led, in that way you'll get it working. No matter what.

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Either way you can see it's better to buy a drop-in unless you're pretty savvy with working on electronics or want to use this as a learning experience with no guarantee of success. Either way buy a new drop in, whether you buy the regulator or led, in that way you'll get it working. No matter what.

Great advice. Buy a new drop-in and play with the old.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
:thumbsup:

The fact that Malkoffs have excellent resale value even after extensive use (years even) is another plus - that says something right there.

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
What light is it in? If the module is getting hot you'll want to wrap your fancy new drop-in in aluminum foil to get it to conduct heat better to the outside. Unless you've got a plastic light in which case you'll want to make sure not to use high for extended periods.

stang1911

Newly Enlightened
Its in a G2 with 6p bezel. It has the stock tailcap with it. I think that it may have turned on when sitting in my cruiser and didnt notice, could have been on for awhile thus burning the LED.