It's a BOY!!!!

cityevader

Enlightened
As my wife settled into her room in labor and delivery I took a quick walk back to the car. The weather was strangely calm, given all indications of an impending storm. Clouds loomed ominously in the heavans as not a thing stirred below on earth. All was dry but that distinct smell of approaching damp hung in the air. It was not merely a transition in weather, but the very moment of a pendulum's utter standstill just prior to reversal. Just as our lives were similarly paused in that room above me.

While the approaching storm outside never panned out that evening, our own storm inside that room swelled. The tearing birth of a 22 inch, 8lb. 14oz. boy damaged brave Mommy. Yet Colburn Jamis P******* provided a 9+ month-awaited distraction for Mommy while doctors spent an hour mending rent flesh.

A flurry of baby adoration finally ocurred off in the corner during cleaning and weighing and grandparents cooing. But all Daddy wanted was to hold Mommy. His prior worries of "baby love" crowding out all else evaporated in the explosion of "Mommy love". This God-given love turned Daddy into a guarding bulldog, providing the sole unrelenting support during the following tornado of terrible nursing throughout the stay that sucked all morale out the window and flung it far. But a diligent bulldog does not a good nurse make. Henceforth, Nurse Daddy.

Eventually proper medication was given, providing a blanket to hide under during the storm of terrible nursing. We asked Nurse Grandma to help, and she stood as sentinel advocate; a true nurse, not just a "nametag nurse"; genuine empathy and willingness to help finally allowed Nurse Daddy to rest after his own 40 hour battle without sleep.

Now, three days later, the weather and our lives have clearly reversed course. God's grace has eased many obstacles, and serves as the pendulum's connecting rod from Him to us as our lives swing away in a vastly different direction.

Present has passed away with future born, as two lives made one have formed life from none. And a strong little boy, asleep in the nook of my non-typing arm, has a firm grip of my hair and dreams a dream I can't possibly imagine.

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congrats!!!:party::thumbsup:
Thats gotta be such a crazy feeling!!

Glad to hear things went well!!:twothumbs

So...what flashlight will be his first??:poke::D

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast
CONGRATS!!!! Amazing, huh? Relish every moment...even the trying ones. Man...did I beleive that when anyone said it? Probably not.

jellydonut

Enlightened
Congratulations man. It is always great to hear about a child being born into a loving family.:)

I'd say it more sincerely but unfortunately I'm overcome with the cardinal sin of jealousy of your family bliss. :(

cityevader

Enlightened
IMG_8486.jpg

Obijuan Kenobe

Flashlight Enthusiast
We just had our first 9 months ago. I am still falling in love more every day. Crazy, but it's true. I miss him while I am at work terribly now. Enjoy him while he's tiny, because he'll grow quick. I for one am thrilled with a son...an excuse to do everything I ever wanted but never got around to doing. And of course, the love and respect you have for your parents has probably taken a turn for the better, or soon will.

Welcome to the rest of your life. It's going to be...different.

obi

Last edited:

OKWalker

Newly Enlightened
No flashlight involved in this story?

My second son was born about 4 months ago. The Nurse was worried that he might have some kind of birth defect associated with his lower intestine, but couldn't quite see well enough in the dim room. I whipped out my Quark 123-2, lit up the kid's butt, and after the spots cleared from her eyes she announced that he was just fine.

Obijuan Kenobe

Flashlight Enthusiast

My second son was born about 4 months ago. The Nurse was worried that he might have some kind of birth defect associated with his lower intestine, but couldn't quite see well enough in the dim room. I whipped out my Quark 123-2, lit up the kid's butt, and after the spots cleared from her eyes she announced that he was just fine.

Fantastic anecdote. Not every work safe story can safely incorporate the phrase, 'I whipped out my Quark and lit up the kid's butt.'

obi

ninemm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congratulations! Your son is adorable. There's been a rash of babies being born in mine and my wife's workplace lately. It's making it hard to stick to our intended plan of waiting a few years to have our first. :grin2:

USACelt

Newly Enlightened
Congratulations..
"A new born bade,
brings light to the cottage,
warmth to the heart
and joy to the soul.
For wealth is family -
family is wealth "
unknown

cityevader

Enlightened

One of the first things I noticed while walking the halls were the cheap 99 cent 2d flashlights on the cart. The metalized plastic body type. At least the one I tried illuminated, for what it's worth.

I did pull out my ITP A3 with li-ion overdrive (in medium mode) to light up the boy's skin after the doctor made note of something about the color. He looked up at me and said "You're not helping".

Kid9P

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's one beautiful little guy you got there :thumbsup:

Congrat's to you and your Wife.
No go get him his first flashlight :naughty:

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congratulations! Cherish these moments.

Seems like only last week my son was born and a few days later my daughter followed. They're 13 and 9, now, and they're getting bigger every day. My, how time flies when you're having fun with the family!

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I did pull out my iTP A3 with li-ion overdrive (in medium mode) to light up the boy's skin after the doctor made note of something about the color. He looked up at me and said "You're not helping".

LOL

Should have used an inca. light or a warm LED, instead. :D