Best LED light for $150 to $200

stat2010

Newly Enlightened
I am in the fire service and would like to buy a new LED light. It will be used for looking for house numbers and lighting up utility poles looking for downed wires. I would like it to be about the diameter of a Mag Light or smaller so I can slip it in my back pocket to free up my hands. I've seen the reviews for the Fenix TK 45 and I think it fits the bill, but I am new to this site and higher end lights. Does anyone have a suggestion for me?

nbp

Flashaholic
:welcome:

We love recommending lights!

Unfortunately, with the info you gave us you will get as many different suggestions as there are members. It would be really helpful if you copied and pasted the checklist here with your answers so we can get a better idea what you need/want. :). Hold onto your wallet!

Qmotion SIS

Newly Enlightened
You can actually put together a kick *** light that puts out 400 lumens OTF. I'm going to put a XP-G R5 drop-in into a Solorforce L2X extended host that takes 4 CR123A's or 2- 18650's. Cost is under $70 with the CPF discount and should make a nice compact light easy to throw in a back pocket.

http://www.illuminationgear.com/145071.html

Check out here and make sure you choose the higher voltage led that can take up to 12 volts for the 4 CR123A's. I personally like to get as much bang as I can for the bux.

Last edited:

wyager

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since you'll be hitting stuff farther away, I'm thinking a 4sevens maelstrom for you... Very bright, good throw as well. You can also get it well below your price range.

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think we have two threads going for the same thing. Maybe a mod can fix this somehow?:thinking:

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would recommend the Dereelight DBS XP-G. You will get excellent throw to spot any of the scenarios you mentioned while still having good spill to see the surrounding environment. I would also pick up the MC-E pill so you can simply swap out the pill to get a 500 out-the-front lumen broad wall of light. The pill is the electronics assembly that includes the LED. One of the best things about Dereelights is the ability to upgrade electronics and LEDs when new technology is available so you don't have to purchase a completely new light. If you decide to do the 2-pill setup, you can also get the DBS MC-E and buy the XP-G pill, whichever comes out lower cost. Total cost with BOTH pills would be under $160 shipped to your door.

joe1512

Enlightened
You might consider the TK40 vs the 45. The 40 has a bit more throw, whereas the 45 is a bit brighter and more efficient.

Since it is outdated a bit, you might be able to pick it up a bit cheaper.

Do a search for tk40 vs tk45 and you can see the beamshots and decide for yourself.

Both are nice because of the good runtime and ability to use common AAs vs speciality batteries.

wyager

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think we have two threads going for the same thing. Maybe a mod can fix this somehow?:thinking:

I think the OPs have different needs.
EDIT:nevermind, it is the same guy. @OP, don't post two threads at once please.

Last edited:

Pegsmi98

Newly Enlightened
If your doing fire service in my neighborhood I would want you to be hands free to help someone when needed.

So a darn good headlamp in my opinion. Others can give the details on the best option there.

pwatcher

Enlightened
Help us a little more with your needs?

1. Do you prefer a clicky switch to turn on and off and change modes, since that can be done with one hand, or do you prefer a twisty action to turn on and/or change output levels?

2. Is color rendition important? Many LED lights tend to obscure reds and browns, so there are neutral leds that can do a better job at that, at the expense of a bit of brightness. There are also some high CRI lights like the RaClicky or Twisty that might be a great choice for you, as they are extremely tough and come in different configurations. Plus the output levels can be easily reprogrammed by you!

3. What is the longest distance you need to be able to illuminate? That will rule in or out some lights that are more floody, or more throwy.

in edit, here's a very informative thread with beamshots!
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/293468

Last edited:

makapuu

Enlightened
How's about the MG Pocket Rocket with a SST-50.
The light is rated at 800 lumens so approx. 600 to 700 out the front.
It costs about $65.00, so you would have money left over to buy batteries and a charger or even another light as backup if you wanted to.
Because it's cheap you won't feel too bad about getting it banged up on the job.
It's built well so it can take the pounding.
The reflector is pretty deep so it has throw, has good spill and a clean beam pattern, no donuts or dark rings.
It's only 5.5 inches long and a little over an inch wide at the head so it's very easy going in your pocket.
It has low, med, high, for those times you don't need the light at full blast.

Last edited:

shipwreck

Enlightened
I am super happy with my Eagletac M2XC4 - but they have been discontinued for the newer M3. You might still be able to find one, though.

BRO

Newly Enlightened
I don't think a TK-45 would be a good choice for back pocket carry. For telephone poles and house addresses an LX2 would be great. Very focus bright beam, that seems to go forever- small, carry in any pocket just fine and rock solid reliability. The LX2 Lumamax is one great beam of a light in a small package.

I own a TK-45 and I would not want to carry it, much less in my back pocket- even though it is a great light.

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am super happy with my Eagletac M2XC4 - but they have been discontinued for the newer M3. You might still be able to find one, though.

The M3C4 with the triple XR-E is pretty much the same light with a better heatsink and hidden strobe/disco modes. So he can still get this light (just slightly different).

shipwreck

Enlightened
The M3C4 with the triple XR-E is pretty much the same light with a better heatsink and hidden strobe/disco modes. So he can still get this light (just slightly different).

The very last version of the M2XC4 actually changed how the strobe is accessed - it's likely similar to the M3.

Is the M3C4 out, or just the SST50 version?

Anyway - yes, that would be the way to go I think