Opinions on the Lumapower Trust 1xAA light ~ 350 emitter lumens?

HIDblue

Enlightened
Has anyone tried the Lumapower Trust Model 1? It claims 350 emitter lumens using an XP-G R5 on 1x14500 li-ion.

Does anyone actually have one of these and how's the performance so far? I'm a little skeptical about 350 emitter lumens out of a 1xAA form factor light even using a 14500. That's pretty damn bright even for a 2x123 light. :thinking:

Last edited:

Bronco

Enlightened
Saw this for the first time myself today in a Battery Junction email. I'll be interested to see what true OTF numbers we get as they begin to work their way into the hands of CPF members.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
trust4.jpg

I received mine a couple of days ago. Initial impression good, nice finish , solidly built. The UI is a mix between Incendio and Fenix. You have three levels (low-mid-high) accessed through the forward clicky switch with a memory that can also be locked. At any level by tightening the head you access the maximum output.

The beam is typical XP-G with a wide hotspot and there is just a trace of dark rings only when chasing white walls.

The output on a 14500 is astonishing, even higher that D11 with the same cell. In my garden it illuminates fully a tree at 30 m (100').

Nameless

Newly Enlightened
My Trust-1 arrived a few days ago. I really like the UI - I've locked in the low mode, now it's basicly a two-mode light with the UI of an Quark tactical. The Clip is great, too, and so ist the fit and finish.
The tint is very cool - a little more blueish than my Dereelight C2H with some in real life use not noticable rings. And the Trust-1 on 14500 is not as bright as the Dereelight but none the less very bright for its size.

HIDblue

Enlightened
trust4.jpg

I received mine a couple of days ago. Initial impression good, nice finish , solidly built. The UI is a mix between Incendio and Fenix. You have three levels (low-mid-high) accessed through the forward clicky switch with a memory that can also be locked. At any level by tightening the head you access the maximum output.

The beam is typical XP-G with a wide hotspot and there is just a trace of dark rings only when chasing white walls.

The output on a 14500 is astonishing, even higher that D11 with the same cell. In my garden it illuminates fully a tree at 30 m (100').

Thanks a bunch Kilovolt and Nameless! :thumbsup:

I especially appreciate the comparison shot of the Trust 1 with the Fenix LD10 and the Nitecore D11. It's always hard to judge the size of a light by website photos unless it's sitting right next to another light for some perspective.

And did you say there was a hint of "rings" in the Trust 1's beam? That's kind of surprising considering it's using an XP-G with an OP reflector...huh.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
And did you say there was a hint of "rings" in the Trust 1's beam? That's kind of surprising considering it's using an XP-G with an OP reflector...huh.

The reflector finish is a very light OP and that is why.

BTW the rings are there also on D11 whose reflector surface even if slightly different from the Trust's one could also be described as SMOP (SMooth Orange Peel). ;)

gunga

Flashaholic
I just got my Trust 1. Nice light, slightly taller than a Quark AA (due to forward clicky), about the same max brightness (using 14500), Fit and finish is quite good. Beam is slightly ringy on white wall, but seems fine in use. Tint is quite cool. Colour (dark gray) is nice, knurling could be more aggressive.

PWM is about 1.1 KHz (as before).

I'll try to get a review up soon...

HIDblue

Enlightened
The reflector finish is a very light OP and that is why.

BTW the rings are there also on D11 whose reflector surface even if slightly different from the Trust's one could also be described as SMOP (SMooth Orange Peel). ;)

Oh, that makes more sense then.

HIDblue

Enlightened
I just got my Trust 1. Nice light, slightly taller than a Quark AA (due to forward clicky), about the same max brightness (using 14500), Fit and finish is quite good. Beam is slightly ringy on white wall, but seems fine in use. Tint is quite cool. Colour (dark gray) is nice, knurling could be more aggressive.

PWM is about 1.1 KHz (as before).

I'll try to get a review up soon...

Thanks gunga...looking forward to it.

HIDblue

Enlightened
These must be pretty popular. Battery Junction's already sold out and they're on backorder now.

lightsolo

Newly Enlightened
The clip for Trust-1 is the best one i have seen on a EDC...nice and thick. If only Lumapower would make a few "CPF editions" for the Trust-1. That would be awesome.:D

kdaq

Newly Enlightened
Just wanted to throw in my $0.02 - this is a wonderful little EDC.

Note that unlike the Fenix LD10+ and Jetbeam RRT-0, NiMH or Alkaline output on the TRUST-1 is pretty dim. Still plenty usable - just don't expect to be wowed at low voltage.

On 14500 Li-ion, it really comes alive! To my eye, it's putting out perceptively more output than the RRT-0 R5, and slightly less than the Eagletac P20C2-II. Roughly matches the IncenDio R5, but with a tighter hotspot.

Beam profile is ringy for an R5. The OP texture is a little lighter than the IncenDio (which has a great profile)...but my theory is something else. I think the LED isn't positioned quite high enough into the reflector. In any case, it still works great, and throws nicely for something so small.

Build quality is stellar, and the clip is just perfect for jean pocket carry, IMHO. This light is a steal.

HIDblue

Enlightened
Just wanted to throw in my $0.02 - this is a wonderful little EDC.

Note that unlike the Fenix LD10+ and Jetbeam RRT-0, NiMH or Alkaline output on the TRUST-1 is pretty dim. Still plenty usable - just don't expect to be wowed at low voltage.

On 14500 Li-ion, it really comes alive! To my eye, it's putting out perceptively more output than the RRT-0 R5, and slightly less than the Eagletac P20C2-II. Roughly matches the IncenDio R5, but with a tighter hotspot.

Beam profile is ringy for an R5. The OP texture is a little lighter than the IncenDio (which has a great profile)...but my theory is something else. I think the LED isn't positioned quite high enough into the reflector. In any case, it still works great, and throws nicely for something so small.

Build quality is stellar, and the clip is just perfect for jean pocket carry, IMHO. This light is a steal.

Thanks for the input kdaq! Wondering if they'll improve the ring-y beam like they did on the Incendios.

I'm looking for a 1xAA form factor light that reliably runs on a 14500 and it looks like the Trust is close except for the ring-y beam. I'm a big fan of my JB BK135A and E3S, but it doesn't appear that the use of 14500 is supported on either, officially. I still use a 14500 in my BK135A, but due to the length of the 14500, the head doesn't fully seat on the body and it gets warm rather quickly.

gunga

Flashaholic

I have to agree there. I was looking at the centering device used and the light OP texture of the reflector, and I think the combination of the LED being a bit low in the reflector and the light texturing makes the beam a bit ringy. Luckily it is still very usable and the rings are quite subtle and not really noticeable in actual use.

Last edited:

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to agree there. I was looking at the centering device used and the light OP texture of the reflector, and I think the combination of the LED being a bit low in the reflector and the light texturing makes the beam a bit ringy. Luckily it is still very usable and the rings are quite subtle and not really noticeable in actual use.

Hopefully, LumaPower can sort out the reflector issues and clean-up the beam a bit. Doesn't sound as bad as the first reflectors on the Inendio v3 LE ... don't even get me started. That cleaned up nicely, though, and was (and is) a very nice light.

Looking forward to Gunga's review and ... to a neutral XPG version!

HIDblue

Enlightened
Hopefully, LumaPower can sort out the reflector issues and clean-up the beam a bit. Doesn't sound as bad as the first reflectors on the Inendio v3 LE ... don't even get me started. That cleaned up nicely, though, and was (and is) a very nice light.

Looking forward to Gunga's review and ... to a neutral XPG version!

+1. If they improve the Trust 1's beam like they did with the Incendio, I'll definitely pick one up.

bedazzLED

Enlightened
Hi all.

I've never ventured into the 14500 battery domain, but after reading this review and all the good things about this light, I finally ordered one, along with two 14500 batteries.

Batteries took 4 days to arrive from a local supplier here in Australia, the TRUST-1 took 5 days to arrive from the USA!

I know the difference a rechargeable battery can make (I own a Peak Rainier P7, 110 lm on CR123A, around 350 lm on RCR123A), but it's still amazing to see how much light this can actually put out!. It's an absolutely fantastic EDC light.

I had the three amigo's sitting on my desk; the E1B Backup, M10R Sunwayled and RRT-0, now it's the four musketeers!

The build is fantastic, threads are smooth, the emitter is nice and centered and the output is WOW!

Hope the Incendio V3 arrives soon :broke: