In Another Country and Need Help

Ace29033

Newly Enlightened
Hi :wave:, this is my first post here and I've really enjoyed looking around this forum and learning what I can. The people here seem to be genuinely nice to newcomers.

So here is my situation, before this time I would have never considered getting a flashlight because I never really thought that I would have a need for one. But now, my family and I are living in a place called Santa Marta, Colombia. We live in a relatively nice part of town, but right outside our house are prostitutes, homeless, drug users, drunks....and so on. We don't own a car here so we are either taking public transportation or walking.

There are many unlit streets here and I've really started to become more concerned with protecting my young family. So I started thinking about a "defensive" flashlight like the Surefire E2d. I like the thought of this one because it seems to be small enough to fit in a pocket, yet has enough heft to it do some damage if the need arise. I like that it had the "scalloped" bezel on the front.

So here is my question. I don't really want to spend that kind of money on the Surefire e2d, so what are the lights that might be comprable to this light in size and having the "scalloped" bezel on the front? I really want something that will be comfortable in a pocket.

I've looked at the tk series from Fenix, but they look too big to fit in a pocket. Any thoughts on using a Eagletac PC0C2 MK II. Can you use the front of this one to protect yourself like the Surefire? Thanks for any thoughts that you might have that could help direct my purchase.

Jon

odd

Newly Enlightened
Solarforce L2/L2i/L2r, depending on the battery type you want to use:
img1.jpg

http://www.solarforce.hk/PRD/main.jsp

Belstaff1464

Enlightened
Firstly, :welcome:

Secondly, I don't know anything about the lights that you're considering, so I can't really provide any meaningful input. There are a lot of available lights [deleted - DM51] that may suit your needs, but if I was you, I wouldn't be relying on a flashlight [deleted - DM51]. I don't know the laws of your country, but [deleted - DM51]. The flashlight should be your backup [deleted - DM51]. You may want to opt for a light with a tactical strobe function for this reason.

Just my $0.02

Good luck in your search :wave:

Last edited by a moderator:

DM51

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF, Ace29033.

Your post is very obviously a genuine one which illustrates the difficult situation in which you and your family find yourselves.

Having said that, you have unintentionally hit on a topic which has a very problematic record here on CPF, as it touches on the use of flashlights for delf-defense and/or as weapons.

I'm putting down a marker right here, not just to you but to all members, that those aspects are NOT to be discussed in this thread.

Members may recommend particular lights that they may feel might be suitable for your situation, but that is all.

There is to be no discussion in this thread of self-defense, or the use of weapons of any type or description.

There are plenty of old threads that discuss this topic if you wish to research it.

Ace29033

Newly Enlightened
Oh wow, very sorry that my post was against the rules. I should have done a better job at reading the forum rules.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome: Ace. I know the SF's are out alot of CPF'ers price range, but have you looked in the Maret Place for the E2D? They can be bought used (most "used" SF's are still in excellent shape) for about $60 USD, and their excellent lifetime warranty will ensure your purchase is covered for...forever??? LOL!. If none are available in the WTS section, post an ad in the WTB. Again, welcome to CPF, and hope you find what you're looknig for.

EDIT:

Oh, the 6PD bezels usually go for pretty cheap, and you can build a customizeable set-up with one of those.

Last edited:

DM51

Flashaholic
Oh wow, very sorry that my post was against the rules. I should have done a better job at reading the forum rules.
You did nothing wrong - it's just a topic that has a bad track record here. You weren't to know that, so don't worry! :)

Ace29033

Newly Enlightened
You did nothing wrong - it's just a topic that has a bad track record here. You weren't to know that, so don't worry! :)

Thanks for your understanding. I can see how this topic could digress to a place that isn't very good. There needs to be an emoticon with a dunce hat :D

Ace29033

Newly Enlightened
:welcome: Ace. I know the SF's are out alot of CPF'ers price range, but have you looked in the Maret Place for the E2D? They can be bought used (most "used" SF's are still in excellent shape) for about $60 USD, and their excellent lifetime warranty will ensure your purchase is covered for...forever???

Thanks, that's great advice. I'm going to do that right now and see what's there.

Last edited by a moderator:

SureAddicted

Enlightened
You should check out the local laws, it might be a bit different than where you came from. You don't want to be carrying something that might potentially get you in strife. Even a "scalloped" bezel might be a no no in some places. You might not have any issues at all, but better to be safe than sorry if TSHTF.