CPFers, Check Your Computers for Viruses and Worms

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
The last few days I've been getting more and more "returned mail" to lambda infected with the SoBig Worm. These are messages where the worm spoofs the "From" email address from those found in the contact list of the infected computer.

My system was scanned and patched from the first day the worm was unleashed, and is scanned again every day at least once. That, and the fact that it's off most of the times the messages were supposed to have been sent makes me pretty confident the messages are not originating here.

However, the fact that my lambda, and the micro list addresses are appearing as the spoofed origin points to many CPFers having this worm on their systems.

Both Norton and McAfee have free online scan/removal tools for this nasty bug. Please secure your systems before your credit card or PayPal information (or worse) is compromised.

No indications at this point that the worm is stealing such info, but it does leave a port open for future use, and a small alteration by another degenerate programer can easily turn this worm malicious.

And don't open email attachments unless it's something you specifically asked for! That's how it normally infects a computer, by the user opening an email attachment to "see" what it is....

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I've been getting a lot of those "bounced" email messages too. So some address books that have my email address in them are on computers that have this worm.

I got hold of a utility from Symantec when this worm first came out that checks for this worm on every single subdirectory and every single file on all of your hard drives, and my system came up clean. NAV also runs every Friday at 8pm and scans my entire system for bad things - and so far I've come up clean every time on that too.

Greta

Flashaholic
The webmaster account is still averaging around 200 viruses and bounces each day. Yeah... one or more CPF'ers has it and is sending it out to everyone in his/her address book... including the webmaster account. Please check your systems CPF'ers!!

Saaby

Flashaholic
I know my computer doesn't have it and as best I can tell the other 3 in this house don't have it either.

Tomas

Banned
Re: CPFers, Check Your Computers for Viruses and W

*checking again*

Nope, worm still won't run here.

T_sig6.gif

worm.gif

lightnix

Enlightened

I've been checking for virus updates on a daily basis since MS Blaster and make sure it is the first thing I do when I log on, before I get the mail.

I'm still getting a lot of automated replies, but haven't received any infected e-mails for a couple of days now.

Whistler

Enlightened

The only worms I got here are those in the Tequila...

Terrible. I get also a lot of those bounced back mails every day.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast

I had a virius once in my Mac. It was 1991 or 92 if I recall... I have run a virus checker on and off since then, but never found anything.

But one of my windows buddies had it bad last week. All better now though...

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Mine is OK. Maybe if Sasha posted post a big header it might get more people's attention.

Brightnorm

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the reminder. With the daily power outages here, I hadn't scanned with new virus definitions for 5 days.