Opinions needed for the longest thrower in the high output class under $150

jcalvert

Enlightened
I'm soliciting opinions/suggestions for the longest thrower in the high output class under $150. Although this light will be used for hunting among other uses, it does not have to be firearm mountable.

Initially, what I'm looking for is to fulfill a rather specific need of being able to track movement patterns of white tail deer after dark. Typical scenario will place me along a rural roadside and shining my light out into cut cornfields with tree lines out let's say 200+ yds. I want to be able to focus the hotspot to confirm with certainty, using binoculars if necessary, that I'm seeing a buck with enough spill to see if he has company within several yards in either direction.

BTW, can anyone tell me what beam angle I should be including in my criteria based on the above scenario?

Contenders include:

1) Thrunite Catapult V2 SST-50 is right at the $150 price point.

2) EagleTac M3C4 (but which of the many LED options?) is also at $150.

3) Lumapower Signature Tactical VX (SST-50) w/ Turbo Force head which has both a tailcap switch and a side switch for only $110.

Although I am very open to any and all opinions/suggestions, all I ask is that you please read my criteria carefully before responding. Thanks in advance to everyone!

John

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are 7 or 8 variations of the M3C4 and the triple XR-E is the one you want for max throw. Catipult is also a good choice. Clearly you will want a 2x18650 or 3x18650 battery config. The Tiablo A10 or Jetbeam RRT-1 will throw farther but the beam of those lights is so narrow I don't think it will work for your purposes (and they are both sub 300 lumens with only a single 18650). I don't know if it can be had for less than $150 but the Olight M31 is slightly more throwy/brighter than both the catipult and the M3C4 w/ triple XR-E (so I hear - I don't own one -yet).

Last edited:

jcalvert

Enlightened
LED LENSER M7R

Waspy,

Thanks. I'll check it out!

John

There are 7 or 8 variations of the M3C4 and the triple XR-E is the one you want for max throw. Catipult is also a good choice. Clearly you will want a 2x18650 or 3x18650 battery config. The Tiablo A10 or Jetbeam RRT-1 will throw farther but the beam of those lights is so narrow I don't think it will work for your purposes (and they are both sub 300 lumens with only a single 18650). I don't know if it can be had for less than $150 but the Olight M31 is slightly more throwy/brighter than both the catipult and the M3C4 w/ triple XR-E (so I hear - I don't own one -yet).

tre,

I figured the XRE was the one, I just needed confirmation, so thanks. I now have to review any beamshot comparisons. Any links you would like to share?

For battery format, I don't care if it's 1x or 2x18650, but not 3x.

I don't care for the head-heaviness, lack of grip, and UI on the RRT-1, I had one.

The Tiablo A10 does seem to have too narrow of a beam, but I noticed the A9 w/ XPG-R5 on Selfbuilt's 100 yd. beamshot comparisons. What do you know about the A9? Would it fit my criteria?

The Olight M31 would be great as I just looked at one of HKJ's recent beamshot comparisons, unfortunately it seems to be closer to $200 than $150.

With all that in mind at this point, if you had to make a decision right now, what would you choose? Thanks!

John

Last edited:

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want some sidespill you have to stick with reflector/optic. Aspherics are pure throw with almost no spill.

The Tiabloa A10 is still king of throw using conventional reflector. At 240ish OTF lumens its no slouch either. I regret selling mine.:ohgeez:

Im about to purchase another A10 and stick a XR-E R2 EZ900 in there:thumbsup:

bigC

OKWalker

Newly Enlightened
The Catapult is a well built, extremely bright, LED thrower. I have never tried it for your specific purpose however.

Have you consider an off-the-shelf 12V or rechargable spotlight for this use? Not very flashoholic-like, but it is probably what most people would use.

jcalvert

Enlightened
If you want some sidespill you have to stick with reflector/optic. Aspherics are pure throw with almost no spill.

The Tiabloa A10 is still king of throw using conventional reflector. At 240ish OTF lumens its no slouch either. I regret selling mine.:ohgeez:

Im about to purchase another A10 and stick a XR-E R2 EZ900 in there:thumbsup:

bigC

bigchelis,

I literally just looked at beamshot comparisons of the A10 and found it to be seemingly a little too narrow, so I edited my response to tre.

However, with more thought, the comparison was for 100 yards and my criteria is 200+ yards. Based on my deer hunting criteria in my starter post, do you think it woul fit or would it be still be too narrow for shining a single buck at 200+ yds with enough spill to see his harem. Thanks!

John

BTW, can anyone tell me what beam angle I should be including in my criteria based on my first post scenario?

Last edited:

jcalvert

Enlightened
The Catapult is a well built, extremely bright, LED thrower. I have never tried it for your specific purpose however.

Have you consider an off-the-shelf 12V or rechargable spotlight for this use? Not very flashoholic-like, but it is probably what most people would use.

OKWalker,

Good old fashioned idea my dad and I used back in the day, but I want a more portable, durable, multi-purpose thrower. But I appreciate the idea nonetheless.

BTW, is your Catapult the V2?

John

Last edited:

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Tiablo A10 does seem to have too narrow of a beam, but I noticed the A9 w/ XPG-R5 on Selfbuilt's 100 yd. beamshot comparisons. What do you know about the A9? Would it fit my criteria?

I have a DBS w/ThruNite 1.5A XP-G 1-Mode (UCL, XR-E SMO) that will outhrow the A9 XP-G and it will not be bright enough at 200 yards for your needs. Sure it will illuminate at 200 yards, but I doubt you will find the light focused enough to be useful.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had the Thrunite SST-50 thrower, but it doesnt really throw much at sub 30k lux.

The XPG-R5 DBS = throws, but not much at all

The Tiablo A10 freaking insane and keeps up with Mag Aspheric builds with ease.

In person the Tiablo A10 has some spill, but in pictures I have taken and the ones you see here the spill seem not there. I think this is due to the fact that the hotspot is soo intense it makes the spill seem like its missing. Its there alright.

The beam angle I usually only find when looking at optics and not reflectors which use SMO, OP, MOP, ect accronyms.

The A10 is $100 bucks new in the marketplace from one of the venders.:twothumbs
http://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=114&products_id=1483

Plus the discount code:
4sevens.com (formerly known as Fenix-store.com) - 8% off any item, $20 minimum order, Code: CPF8 (and include your CPF nickname with your order)

Last edited:

jcalvert

Enlightened
I have a DBS w/ThruNite 1.5A XP-G 1-Mode (UCL, XR-E SMO) that will outhrow the A9 XP-G and it will not be bright enough at 200 yards for your needs. Sure it will illuminate at 200 yards, but I doubt you will find the light focused enough to be useful.

SCEman,

Thank you for the very useful info based specifically on my original 200+ yards hunting criteria. OK, A9 is out.

A 1x18650 option is very appealling, as consecutive run time over a few minutes at a time is not likely. What about the A10? Thanks!

John

BTW, can anyone tell me what beam angle I should be including in my criteria based on my first post scenario? Does it matter?

jcalvert

Enlightened
I had the Thrunite SST-50 thrower, but it doesnt really throw much at sub 30k lux.

The XPG-R5 DBS = throws, but not much at all

The Tiablo A10 freaking insane and keeps up with Mag Aspheric builds with ease.

In person the Tiablo A10 has some spill, but in pictures I have taken and the ones you see here the spill seem not there. I think this is due to the fact that the hotspot is soo intense it makes the spill seem like its missing. Its there alright.

The beam angle I usually only find when looking at optics and not reflectors which use SMO, OP, MOP, ect accronyms.

Plus the discount code:
4sevens.com (formerly known as Fenix-store.com) - 8% off any item, $20 minimum order, Code: CPF8 (and include your CPF nickname with your order)

big,

Thanks for the beam angle info, I'll consider the question answered.

As for the A10, your making me lean, man. On a single 18650 too! :twothumbs

Anyone want to help biggy push me over? Or is someone going to push me straight again?

John

ateallthepies

Enlightened

Plus the discount code:

I ordered an A10G from 4sevens a week ago. Me being tight I went for the slow air mail shipping and wish I upgraded now to another method:sigh: as I'm also impatient:rolleyes:.
I'm afraid you will only get $0.40 off for that code as it is a 'garage sale' item. Still with taxes and import charges it still works out about $60 cheaper than the UK price:thumbsup:

I also have the A9 and believe a little more oomph that the A10G has will be needed for your hunting criteria at ranges of around 200 yards. Should be plenty of spill at that range if my A9 is anything to go by?

I also ordered a battery extension tube from a UK vendor that was made for the A10G so I should get the top output for a decent run-time if needed!

ATB,

Steve.

looman

Enlightened
I ordered an A10G from 4sevens a week ago. Me being tight I went for the slow air mail shipping and wish I upgraded now to another method:sigh: as I'm also impatient:rolleyes:.
I'm afraid you will only get $0.40 off for that code as it is a 'garage sale' item. Still with taxes and import charges it still works out about $60 cheaper than the UK price:thumbsup:

I also have the A9 and believe a little more oomph that the A10G has will be needed for your hunting criteria at ranges of around 200 yards. Should be plenty of spill at that range if my A9 is anything to go by?

I also ordered a battery extension tube from a UK vendor that was made for the A10G so I should get the top output for a decent run-time if needed!

ATB,

Steve.

Building quite an arsenal there :)

Anyone would think you got money riding on a shoot out or something :)

jcalvert

Enlightened

ATB,

Steve.

^x2

I have one, its a badass light

Thanks guys and gal(?),

Rounding the first corner, A10 is in the lead with Catapult V2 running a distant second with the rest of the pack looking for opportunities. Running on a single 18650 must be making this "little engine that could" smoke the pack knowing this race is a sprint (get it, short run times).
buttrock.gif

Stay tuned for more results.

John

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I figured the XRE was the one, I just needed confirmation, so thanks. I now have to review any beamshot comparisons. Any links you would like to share?

With all that in mind at this point, if you had to make a decision right now, what would you choose? Thanks!

I have yet to see any beam shots of the M3C4 w/ triple XR-E but I happen to have one in my hands right now. Perhaps I can take some beam shots. Selfbuilt does have the M2XC4 with triple XR-E in his 100 yard beam shot comparison. That is the closest thing to the new M3C4 triple XR-E. I don't have an M2XC4 to compare with though - I only have an M2C4 with the SSC P7. I would love to know how exactly the new differs from the old. I was emailing with Lexbox97 and he said the M3C4 XR-E has slightly more throw than a catipult V2. I can't verify though.

It is a tough decision. I use a compound bow so I don't take any shots anywhere near 200 yards - really not even a 100 so I've never used a light for that purpose. I do live in a pretty rural open area so I like lots of throw and can get some pretty good beam shopts. I'll have to measure off 100, 150, and 200 yards and find a few good trees or something else to point at.

Last edited:

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Tiablo A10 facts to know!!!!!!

50k lux at 1 meter done by Wbp with 18~20k dollar lux meter:eek:

245 OTF Lumens measured by MrGman:thumbsup:

Needs 2 CR123 Primaries for full power

With a single 18650 cell the Tiablo A10 gives about 800mAh at the tail and not full power

What I have now: 2D Mag Rebel with XR-E R2 EZ900 at full power it does 240~220 OTF lumens and I get 57,500 lux at 1m. This is what got me wanting this XR-E EZ900 die in a Tiablo A10.

bigC