flashlight = weapon

MrJinks

Newly Enlightened
hi
i live in canada and i live very close to the us boarder
i will be going to the us to buy a Olight M20S Special Ops S Warrior
when comming back into canada could this light be considered a weapon and be subject to it being confiscated
thx

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
A reasonable question as long as this thread does not wander into the territory of flashlights as weapons.

Bill

wyager

Flashlight Enthusiast
No. Canada has reasonable enough laws that lights can not be considered weapons. Plus, canada's import restrictions on radiation emitting devices is very reasonable (aka there is none).

MrJinks

Newly Enlightened
thx for reply
i am looking to buy 4 or 5 as xmas presents
would hate to loose them all

MrJinks

Newly Enlightened
lol...will hold on tight
i feel like im back in school having my spelling errors pointed out to me

Last edited:

wyager

Flashlight Enthusiast
lol...will hold on tight
i feel like im back in school having my spelling errors pointed out to me

Some tend to feel that way on these forums :nana: In fact, I just realized I made a mistake on my first post in this thread (two including capitalization), can you find it? :sssh:
Good luck with your purchases!

PayBack

Enlightened
I normally wouldn't point out spelling errors etc, but I support JMP all the way on this one as it drives me nuts for some reason.

It's funning on online games when someone calls me a looser.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some tend to feel that way on these forums :nana: In fact, I just realized I made a mistake on my first post in this thread (two including capitalization), can you find it? :sssh:
Good luck with your purchases!

Actually 3 including the capitalization, but who's counting? :whistle:

It's funning on online games when someone calls me a looser.

Haha, I get a kick out of this one too, they call me a looser, I call them a winer. Sadly they lack the IQ to see the wit in that.

Sorry, I do not have any input on the OP, except that is all in how an individual perceives an item (or how much they like it lol) and how they decide how much of a hero they would be to confiscate terroristic flashlights.

Xacto

Enlightened
Is there a mail order business located in Canada that carries those lights? If yes, then I do not see any problems with your purchase.

And if they start discussing the crenelations on the bezel, just tell them that they are there to show you if the light is on if place bezel down somewhere. If they start argueing about the crenelations being an edged weapon of sort.... well then I would turn tables and say "Thank you for pointing that added function out"..... or words to that effect.

Cheers
Thorsten

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
If they start arguing about the crenelations being an edged weapon of sort.... well then I would turn tables and say "Thank you for pointing that added function out"..... or words to that effect.

Cheers
Thorsten

I would point to the tables as having similar perilous edges. And the chair, door hinge, latch, pen/pencil, each step on stairway, and viciously sharp edge of your wallet after you buy too many lights.

Chevy-SS

Enlightened
Has anyone actually experienced any issues at the Canadian border, with regards to crenelated edges on a flashlight bevel? Any comments from border agents?

thanks

-

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm taking for granted you want to cross the border by car...

If you're travelling by car or have them in a registered luggage, I don't believe there should be any problems crenealed bezel or not... you can even transport a sword this way. Check the illegal items list for international travel from any airport or airline website; if it is allowed in a registered luggage, there is no reason you can't bring it by car.

The only problem I could foresee is if you just do a single day trip and they find 5 identical brand new lights, then they will definitely want to see a receipt and charge taxes. For this reason, I would probably dump the boxes and put them in a toolbox or a bag with miscelaneous items just in case. Camping gear would be a good way to avoid questions: worst-case scenario, you say you just never took it out of the trunk from your last camping trip and your friends are just that much unenlightened.

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
yeah I would be cautious that the border customs officials dont think you are bringing them back for resale. even if you say they are gifts, I say chuck the packaging before crossing back over.

MrJinks

Newly Enlightened
thx 4 replys
i am not worried about paying duties as there is no duty on american made items...sales tax would be all they charge me
have not found a canadian mail order store that has not doubled the us price
i have found batteries and chargers at comparable prices in canada but as for flashlights pickings are pretty slim
i can drive for 90 mins to toronto from niagara to find some good brands but prices are still high
i can mail order to a friends house in the states and be at his house in 30 mins but have to cross the boader on the way back
if anyone knows any reasonable canadian sites to order from i would appriciate if you post here
thx

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Alright guys, enough is enough with the "spelling errors". Get back on topic or this thread is in danger of being closed.

Bill

PayBack

Enlightened
Has anyone actually experienced any issues at the Canadian border, with regards to crenelated edges on a flashlight bevel? Any comments from border agents?

thanks

-

Personally I think they should be banned.

Only cos I think they're ugly... no way are they any sort of real weapon.