What is your EDC and why?

Harri

Newly Enlightened
Hi!

Simply put, what light do you guys carry as EDC? Or which lights?
smile.gif

No, the key chain lights do not count - I know you all have plenty of them.
grin.gif
(This rules out the Arc AAA also!
tongue.gif
)

And also, why do you have that light as EDC? Why does it function well as EDC? Or is it just so cool that you just have to have it with you?

And finally, what spares do you carry with the EDC every day? Batteries, bulbs, or entire flashlights
grin.gif
(No key chain lights here either.)

Harri

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I EDC an E1e-KL1 w/ rechargeable 123s... I also EDC the E2e-KL1, as well as my Arc-LS. Simply compact, bright, reliable, able to take a beating, and well made, as well as good burntimes.

The only "big" flashlights I EDC sometimes are my 5W Cyan Blaster and Brinkmann MiniQ Beam. Blaster is brighter than hell for an LED, long runtime, and cyan pierces the night like nothing else. MiniQ has awesome throw, rechargeable, and very bright, as well as compact.

Car gets: Cyclops. Long runtime, great throw, excellent brightness, and Mag durability. 10X Dominator gets switched in sometimes with the Cyclops. Awesome brightness, okay runtime, and good beam quality. When in long trips or going into the countryside, I switch to my MaxaBeam and Brinkmann MaxQ Beam 1M-CP. Great throw, good runtime, great spot brightness, and good hand feel.

All EDC flashlights are either rechargeable, or all of them run on NiMHs. Even my direct drives are all NiMH driven.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Arc LS (on my keychain!
smile.gif
)

Why? Because it's the smallest & brightest light in it's class (about 15 lumens) & it works with rechargables (123 size & AA's) too.

It works great as my EDC becsuse it's very bright for short to medium range lighting and it's always with me.
smile.gif

I also carry a Surefire E2 with me for when I need more light than the Arc LS can provide. I carry it in my back pocket.

I'm currently selling my E2 and have an A2 on order.
grin.gif

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sort of ironic...but my EDC lights are the most expensive ones I own! I carry an ArcLS and an SFE2 ALL the time. Arc LS, because as far as I'm concerned it is the brightest there is as far as "size to light ratio" is concerned...plus, to all my non-flashoholic friends it has a great "WOW" factor! SFE2 because it has the best size to light ratio for an incandescent...VERY bright in a truly EDC sized package. In the truck...Brinkmann Legend LX: bright enough for anything...lithiums for cold storage without drain (...the NW Florida panhandle DOES get cold enough in the winter to deplete alkalines!), and inexpensive enough to not have to worry a whole lot about being banged around.

PJD

Al

Enlightened
Depends on where going / what doing ...
Favorite, however is E2E w/ 25 lumen lamp and F04 beamshaper. More than adequate light for me and better runtime than the 60 lumen.

(Photon I is always on keychain, though)

Grummond

Newly Enlightened
My EDC seems to change depending on what I have recently bought, what I am planning on doing that particular day or night and what time of year it is.
For the last 6 months I pretty my have had my Opalec with me at all times.
For my needs it's very good, I have it in the mini-mag holster so it does not get in the way and then in my jacket pocket I have two straps, one is a head strap, if I need both hands free and the other strap allows me to attach the Opalec to the handle bars on my bike.
I use my bike for 90% of my travel as I can get to most places I need to within an hour tops on the bike.

I have been using the InReTECH instead for the last week and am pleased with it although, at sometime I'll have to go back to the Opalec just because I have got a whole bunch of "dead" batteries I need to use up.

To supplement this I also have an incandescent, usually a Tec-40 or a modified 4aaa DB running on all four batts using a bulb from the 6aa DB and some PDA screen protector to smooth out the beam.

I should mention that I also carry a "lender" because sometimes I work in a bar.
Often times I notice people ask if there is a flashlight they can borrow and to my horror I have seen other bar staff handing over the work flashlight which is a 4D Maglight.
rolleyes.gif

I don't think I need to explain why I would feel it unwise to hand over the 4D to a group of people drinking in a bar, while we're at it we might as well keep a machete and lump hammer tucked away for them.
The "lender" is a cheap 4aa flashlight running on the same setup as the Tec-40.

Grummond.

Saaby

Flashaholic
I do not carry a light on my keys. I carry an Arc AAA (It's not on my keys so it counts...to there
tongue.gif
) that fulfills most of my lighting needs. I also carry an Arc LS, usually in 2AA config because it's cheap with insane runtime...but sometimes in 123 config when I have less than 800 pockets or if I just want to impress people.

I, on occasion, carry a Brinkmann LX but not always as it has a big head
icon15.gif

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
BB500 because it fits well in my combo pouch. Tried to EDC a Scorpion but the rubber grip made it too much effort to extract and stow.

Josh

Flashlight Enthusiast
E1e+KL1 for it's mid range lighting and E2eCJ for more light/ better color rendition, and when I really need serious light at long range the 12PM+T2 with NM60.

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
E1E with KL1 and Arc LS
b/c they use the same battery and they are both very small and bright the Arc goes in my pocket and the E1E clips in my pocket.

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I EDC a Streamlight Polystinger at work, I have two of them and one sits on my car quick charger. The back up light and "off-duty" light is my Candle Power Forums G2 with a Kroll clickie switch in the non lock out tail cap. So, I pretty much have the G2 with me all the time now.
I carry a couple of extra batteries in a plastic baggie in a coat pocket. I don't have a spare lamp for the G2 yet.

What I really want to EDC is a 1 watt Side Emitter Luxeon pill for my E1e head and my UBH body
smile.gif

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Harri how can you rule out the Arc AAA, the ultimate EDC flashlight
smile.gif

I currently carry an Arc AAA (in a tiny belt pouch, not on my keys) and a Surefire G2.

The G2 will soon be replaced by an E2e

My SAK also has a red LED - does that count ?

Pic of great little belt pouch for the Arc AAA

picture+057.jpg

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
Arc AAA on my keys on a separate ring so it can quickly be removed if need to. Infinity Ultra, Asp Saphire, and a Scorpion in the briefcase. Oh and there is a cheap LED from Target attached to the key ring for the restroom at work too.

Vikas Sontakke

Enlightened
Apart from kyechain LED, I carry StreamLight ClipMate (with the clip removed) in my pocket. It is unobtrusive and the batteris last forever (or until I get sick of them). With fresh 3 alkalines, the overdriven triple 5MM Nichia provides many hours of ample light.

Cheaper than Arc, brigher than Arc, much longer battery life than Arc, reasonably sturdy and pocketable; what more could one ask for??

- Vikas

Reaper

Enlightened
Carry the Ultra at all times with my keys, eventhough you mentioned no keychain lights I figure the Ultra is a bit larger that it can be considered not such a light. Either a Inretech or Opalec on belt. Small enough to be carried with no trouble and bright enought for any usages I might run into. Same type batteries in all my lights for standardization. (also have an Eternalight Ergo also). Plan to acquire an LGI in the future. No spares except 2 extra batteries in my tool bag, which I've never needed yet.

kodiak

Enlightened
I carry a CMG Ultra and my E1E (I have a KL1 comming in the mail as we speak
tongue.gif
. I carry one 123 battery also. Oh yeah and a Photon II on my keyring. Sorry I couldn't resist
grin.gif

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
I can't count the AAA on the keychain. If I have a shirt pocket, I usually have a Stylus in the pocket. Usually have an ARC LS/123 in left pants pocket...a really compact light source! And have either a Scorpion, 6P USA, or G2 on my belt. All three have ecentially the same light output, are the same size and they all fit in the same holster.....the Scorpion holster.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Originally posted by x-ray:
I currently carry an Arc AAA (in a tiny belt pouch, not on my keys) and a Surefire G2.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Ok, you posted the pic - now spill the beans on the neat little pouch eh? Thanks!