Maratac AA Stainless and Nitecore EZ

biker1

Enlightened
Formerly from NYC - Still Ruled by Commi Criminal
I just purchased the Maratac AA Stainless Steel Light with the XP-E Q5 emitter for my parents, which has 85 Lumens for $39
I just noticed the NiteCore EZ AA light for $36, but it has 160 lumens, with the XP-G R5 emitter. Is the R5 the reason for twice the lumens?
Is there a reason that Maratac is not using the XP-G R5?
I'm thinking of cancelling the Maratac, and getting my parents the NiteCore, although the stainless steel is real nice, but the NiteCore is twice as powerful.

Last edited:

De-Lux

Enlightened
If I had to choose I would go with the Nitecore. You should look into the Nitecore D10 if you like the AA form factor. The EZ series is nice but for roughly the same price you can get a D10. The D10 offers infinite variable brightness from 3-130 lumen and has a piston drive switch which is pretty cool IMO. If you are looking for higher output and don't mind only 2 modes of output and a twisty, then the EZ series will work fine for you. I own both the D10 and the EZ AA and you can't go wrong with either. You can also use both rechargeable lithium ion and primary cells with the Nitecore's which is another selling point in my book. I am sure your parents will be stoked with either choice.

Last edited:

biker1

Enlightened
Thanks for your feedback.
I will look into the D10. Simpler UI would probably be best. I forgot to mention the light will be kept in their Car.

EDIT:
I just saw that the D11 is replacing the D10. But the UI is not needed for my Parents regarding multiple modes.
I can get the EZ for 34.99. At 160 lumens, and 2 mode, may be perfect for my parents.
The light needs to have >
1) ease of operation
2) Fail safe operation (almost)
3) customer service support in case of failure
4) very good construction

I have read good things about NiteCore and Marartac, but even if considering all things being equal, I am leaning towards the NiteCore EZ w/XP-G R5 emitter due to its double the output, although half the running time @1.2 hours compared to 2 hours for the Maratac, due to the output.

Last edited:

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a Maratac SS AAA light that I sold about six months ago and I actually regretted doing so. The SS versions are tough and the XP-E actually has a nice floody beam in these Maratac lights. Missed my little AAA so much that I just bought another. I assume that you are talking about the newer version Nitecore EZ AA and not the older 2 mode version? I have no experience with the newer light but IMO the UI is not so much EZ anymore. It is now supposed to be infinitely variable with only one mode of operation. The reason the Nitecore claims 160 lumens has nothing to do with the R5. That is just the bin code for the XP-G LED. I believe the binning only has to do with a LED's efficiency I.E. an XP-G R5 is more efficient than a XP-G R4. I'm actually looking for a AA twisty light myself and these 2 have been at the top of my list so far but since I like my SS AAA so much I think the SS AA will be my choice. For some reason I am just not a Nitecore fanboy anymore. I view their lights as more of a novelty and not a reliable tool. YMMV.

biker1

Enlightened
The ad I saw was for a 2 mode EZ. I am not sure if it has ramping. At $35, it may not have the raming, but again, I am unsure.
If it has the R5, is that considered the newer model with ramping?

How is customer service support from NiteCore (Tactical LED) compared to Maratac (County Comm).

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ad I saw was for a 2 mode EZ. I am not sure if it has ramping. At $35, it may not have the raming, but again, I am unsure.
If it has the R5, is that considered the newer model with ramping?

How is customer service support from NiteCore (Tactical LED) compared to Maratac (County Comm).

I have the older 2 mode AA EZ and not keen on it,needs a medium mode as well,it is either to low or to high.

biker1

Enlightened
I have the older 2 mode AA EZ and not keen on it,needs a medium mode as well,it is either to low or to high.

I cancelled the Maratac about 2 hours ago until I researched further.
But I re-instated the Maratac order an hour ago, and the AA Stainless has shipped.
The Maratac seemed like a simple light with enough power at 85 lumens, and a nice run time of 2 hours on high which is more than enough for my Parents usage needs
I think they will be very happy with the Maratac.
Even though there were a few complaints as there are for many companies, for the most part, customers were very satisfied with the customer service of County Comm which is a plus.
The light is a really nice looking light to boot, plus my Dad likes Stainless Steel :)

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the Nitecore had the XP-G R5 then it is the newer model. I noticed that some retailers still have a pic of the older version but advertise the newer model. They are completely different lights.

There is a thread here somewhere that will explain it better to you but in short when buying a LED light don't concern yourself so much with the LED bin codes (Q5, R2, R5 ect. ect.) They don't have anything to do with output. For example, there are XP-G R4 and XP-G R5 LED's. If both are putting out 100 lumens the R5 would take less current to do so than the R4 thus making it more efficient. If I am wrong someone please correct me but in a nutshell this is all that the bin codes mean, LED efficiency. For some reason though people see that and think it has to do with the output. I think personally the Maratac was the better choice though.

vickers214

Enlightened
The higher output is to do with the fact of EZ running on L-ion 14500 battery, Light reviews has it at 135 Lumens OTF with a 14500 and 94 with an Eneloop.

The UI on the new EZ goes against its name, you could have also considered a Fenix LD15 for futre reference.

biker1

Enlightened
I understand, and thanks for the clarification regarding the efficiency issue.
In the end, it was the form factor and the needs of my Parents that swayed me towards the Maratac. With the XP-E Q5 @ 2 hours run time, this is sufficient, compared to 160 lumens at approx. 1 hr.
Rather have more run time than lumens, that are really not necessary for them. I will also let them know to carry a spare battery in the car, as you don't want to reach for a light that's DOA.
Thanks for your help.
On a side note, I was going to get the AAA Copper version for myself, but may wait for the AA Copper, if it is made available, which it might be, just like the Stainless Steel versions of the AAA and AA.
I'll wait and see. The Copper is sweet looking :)

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I strongly recommend Energizer Lithiums for the Maratac and any light where you aren't using rechargeables for that matter. They seem to last forever in the AAA model and they perform better in extreme cold environments.

biker1

Enlightened
I was told by Maratac that the sequence has been changed 3x, with the current change for the AA being M-L-H, but then I was told here that the sequence is L-M-H, so I'm not sure, as the Rep may have been confused.
In addition, the Rep said there is no plan to change the sequence in October.
I didn't ask about the AAA Copper sequence.
I meant to drop an email to CountyComm but overlooked it.
I will send an email now.

Last edited:

Dadof6

Enlightened
I have purchased both the Nitecore EZ AA and the Maratac Stainless AA for myself and for others. Both great lights but I tend to use the Maratac with its l/m/h setup and I don't even know right now where my Nitecore is. Hope that helps.

biker1

Enlightened
I have purchased both the Nitecore EZ AA and the Maratac Stainless AA for myself and for others. Both great lights but I tend to use the Maratac with its l/m/h setup and I don't even know right now where my Nitecore is. Hope that helps.

Thanks.
When did you purchase your Maratac AA, and what sequence is it?
Is it the Polished Stainless?
I ask because it seems that the sequence is all over the place regarding the version of Maratac - copper, alumumim, AA, AAA etc. :confused:

biker1

Enlightened
Thanks Biker1 I would like to know as I use low first,mostly :thumbsup:

I emailed the following to CountyComm >

'Hi.

I just recently ordered 2 Maratac lights, the AA stainless steel and the AAA Copper.
Can you tell me what the sequences are:

L-M-H or
M-L-H

Thank you'

I just received their response (btw, that was a really quick response by CountyComm, on a Saturday to boot) :thumbsup: >

'LMH'

So we have our answer :)